Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 11:17 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"One does wonder how innate exclusivity and monogamy is to us."
It's not. It's almost purely a societal influence. There have been civilizations throughout history where this is the norm and their societies have not suffered for it.

Its societal conditioning that say's that it is unacceptable. It is our conditioning that prevents us from believing that it doesn't or can’t work. The exact same arguments that are used for the GLBT community apply here. It basically boils down to what transpires between 2 or 3 adults is their own business.

Like Ive said, this life style is not for me, but it is not my place to tell consenting adults what they can and can not do.
But throughout history can you honestly say that all people were treated equally?

So how can you be so sure that it occurred between two consenting adults then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 11:25 AM

31,074 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Hardly ignorant if'n one does not participate in such relationships.

Get tested.

"Get tested." Why? Your making an assumption that more than two consenting adults can't agree to see just each other.

Its my opinion if you have been with more than 4 people in your life you are permiscuous and probably have an STD. Does that make so, of course not!

Last edited by LS Jaun; 10-13-2011 at 12:19 PM..

Old 10-13-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
But throughout history can you honestly say that all people were treated equally?

So how can you be so sure that it occurred between two consenting adults then?
"But throughout history can you honestly say that all people were treated equally?" Can you say they were not? I look at how badly many monogamous relationships are as proven by a 50% divorce rate. That evidence tells me that monogamous relationships don't work.

"So how can you be so sure that it occurred between two consenting adults then" Can't prove it either way with out doing an in depth study. But I'm sure there have been societies where they were consenting and some were not. Just like a single couple relationship, there are many cultures with arranged marriages where I'm sure both parties were not consensual.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 10-13-2011 at 12:20 PM..

Old 10-13-2011, 12:05 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,889,029 times
Not my thing but if others can pull it off more power to them. I imagine it takes a lot of nerve to get past all the jealousy issues bound to come up in that kind of relationship.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:13 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
I've read about it but I never figured anyone would actually know someone who does it. Know what I mean?

Are kids involved or planned?

That's too much work. A relationship with one person is enough work but trying to balance another person(s)? I can't ever believe it's more than just physical.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I've read about it but I never figured anyone would actually know someone who does it. Know what I mean?

Are kids involved or planned?

That's too much work. A relationship with one person is enough work but trying to balance another person(s)? I can't ever believe it's more than just physical.

"I've read about it but I never figured anyone would actually know someone who does it. Know what I mean?"
Read the thread, more than one person on CD has been in this type of relationship! Let the people who have been there speak to the matter of it being purely physical.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 10-13-2011 at 02:28 PM..

Old 10-13-2011, 01:44 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,747 times
Quote:
Can you say they were not? I look at how badly many monogamous relationships are as proven by a 50% divorce rate. That evidence tells me that monogamous relationships don't work.
It's pretty obvious isn't it? Throughout history people were enslaved and treated like lower class citizens. Women mostly had no or little rights back then - can you prove that they willingly went into those types of relationships?

You can't use history to say that polygamous relationships worked better because people didn't have the choices that they do today (at least in modern American society).

Old 10-13-2011, 05:07 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
Quote:
"I've read about it but I never figured anyone would actually know someone who does it. Know what I mean?"
Read the thread, more than one person on CD has been in this type of relationship! Let the people who have been there speak to the matter of it being purely physical.
That's my own opinion and to ME I think it would be a more physical thing. I'm not saying it IS but I'm saying I would think it is because it's a lot of work.

I think you can love more than one person but to me I say why commit? Just be casual with everyone. Don't have a "claim" boyfriend, girlfriend, wife, etc.

I say more power to you if you do it and if it's more than physical because emotions with one person is a handful alone. Adding more in the mix is whoa.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:53 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Hell, no.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:32 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
I don't believe that humans are inherently monogamous. If we were, we'd mate for life the first time we had sex, and any urges or attraction toward others would disappear with that first boom-boom, like with several species of birds. I think human monogamy is a product of society and religion, and as such, is a contrivance.

That said, one man is all I can stand!

Also, I have to say that I find the comments on this thread that go along the lines of "I don't share what's mine" to be a bit unpleasant in their dehumanization and objectification, like you own someone. People are not "whats." They are "whos." They are not property, they do not "belong to" anyone but themselves, and they are not yours to possess.

Last edited by Yzette; 10-13-2011 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: what vs. who
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships