Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 06:10 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,568,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's not that funny. Plenty of men have gotten rid of women in similar ways.
Like the case of Randy Roth in "Fatal Charm."

OP: that's good that you're taking the initiative to learn how to swim. It maybe too late for me.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:18 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,996,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I scuba dive, so I know the deal. I've never heard of anyone that would even attempt snorkeling without knowing how to swim.

It's actually quite common. They make boards with a see-through panel (this glass-bottom boat like) for people who want to hold on to something for floatation, but still see what's going on in the water.

I wouldn't technically call it snorkeling, but it's a modified version. I think that's what the OP is referring to. You can still wear the mask if you want to put your face in the water while holding on, too.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:31 PM

354 posts, read 617,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
It's actually quite common. They make boards with a see-through panel (this glass-bottom boat like) for people who want to hold on to something for floatation, but still see what's going on in the water.

I wouldn't technically call it snorkeling, but it's a modified version. I think that's what the OP is referring to. You can still wear the mask if you want to put your face in the water while holding on, too.

Board or no board, it does not matter. People who do not know how to swim should not be in the ocean. There is more to worry about than not being able to swim.

Where I do most of my diving, during certain times of the year we have an increase in jellyfish populations. The toxin in this particular species is not fatal, however, If you get stung by one it can be quit painfull. I know.

This is just one example. I am always on the water. So I do not panic if something like that happens. Someone who has zero experience in the the water and does not even know how to swim can easily panic.

Panic in the ocean can lead to dire consequences.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:43 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,996,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanman76 View Post
Board or no board, it does not matter. People who do not know how to swim should not be in the ocean. There is more to worry about than not being able to swim.

Where I do most of my diving, during certain times of the year we have an increase in jellyfish populations. The toxin in this particular species is not fatal, however, If you get stung by one it can be quit painfull. I know.

This is just one example. I am always on the water. So I do not panic if something like that happens. Someone who has zero experience in the the water and does not even know how to swim can easily panic.

Panic in the ocean can lead to dire consequences.
It doesn't matter whether they should or not, the point is that it is an option. Everyone here is saying they've never heard of it. Believe me, it exists. Whether it is safe or not, is not my argument.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:58 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,105,327 times
I think you two were made for each other. I see two looney-tunes here, him and you. He shouldn't have invited you to go on a snorkeling trip, knowing you can't swim, and you shouldn't have excepted for the same reason. Discussing this before the trip would have been the right thing to do. He shouldn't have to watch over you and not be able to enjoy himself, and you shouldn't have put yourself in harms way and expected him to stop what he was doing and run to your aid.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:42 PM

2,028 posts, read 3,346,284 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter whether they should or not, the point is that it is an option. Everyone here is saying they've never heard of it. Believe me, it exists. Whether it is safe or not, is not my argument.
I was shocked too - that it was even allowed.

But then i thought... ahhhh, money! They dont want to turn anyone down who wants to pay to go... but i'm still surprised. Panic = drowning.

The OP's b/f shoulda stayed w/her. After all, you are supposed to have someone there guiding you and helping you - no?

Personally, if i couldnt swim - i would NOT be doing ocean/water activities.

Good luck.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:57 PM

193 posts, read 449,935 times
You might want to check if he has a life insurance policy on you: Maryland Woman Missing in Aruba | NBC Washington

Old 10-17-2011, 12:52 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
I wasn't saying it was unheard of. I was saying it's dumb.

No, op, I would not assign any nefarious motives to this guy. Just dumb.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:33 AM

461 posts, read 782,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoTheNut View Post
You might want to check if he has a life insurance policy on you: Maryland Woman Missing in Aruba | NBC Washington
Yes, be very afraid if you do this on your honeymoon.

Seriously, do all non swimmers act like spazes? Throw a dog in the water and they'll instinctively do the dog paddle so what's up with the human brain nowadays? Would it kill you to point your body in a direction and kick your legs? Sheesh.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:53 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,424,679 times
I don't know how to swim either, and that never stops me from going to the pool . I always stay on the shallow side, cause 6ft, and i'm a goner. Snorkeling is fun anywhere. Why would I choose to go to the beach and never get into the ocean? That's just wrong.

The boyfriend doesn't sound very worried about her. He should have been worried sick that she almost died. His cavalier attitude gives away his true feelings.

Last edited by temptation001; 10-17-2011 at 02:55 AM.. Reason: added an extra word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships