Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:00 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,577,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
People with nothing to hide, hide nothing is accurate. But it's not really relevant to this post. The OP clearly has something to hide. It's obviously easier to hide nothing, when there is not deep dark secrets in your past. I prefer to operate under the premise that "people that are confident in themselves won't hide anything". I have some things in my past I would prefer people don't know. Most of my friends don't know about these, but my wife does. I tell her everything. But that is me. I'm not confident that I know everything about her past. I think she probably has more to hide, and I wish she trusted me to be completely honest. But I respect the fact that it was in the past, and it's her decision whether to reveal everything to me.
It's not like I wanted to hide things from my ex wife. Some people can't handle certain information, if you knew your wife wasn't able to handle certain things you've done & to tell her would mean losing her. would you tell her? More the likey not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 06:32 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,131,098 times
At the same time, many people can't handle what you tell them so they react negatively. Even then, it's their problem not yours.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:43 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,461,940 times
If you feel like telling her, then it's because you trust her. If you don't feel like telling her, then don't. Some people can't handle the truth. Others are more open-minded. Know which one she is before spilling it.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:19 PM

31,152 posts, read 22,186,382 times
Yeah, I used to tell my Ex girlfriend that she gained a lot of weight in the year that we were going out. I would tell her everyday that all of my other girlfriends before here were perfect and still look that way! Woman, they ask for the truth, and when you give it to them they freak!

Old 10-18-2011, 05:28 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,703,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Yeah, I used to tell my Ex girlfriend that she gained a lot of weight in the year that we were going out. I would tell her everyday that all of my other girlfriends before here were perfect and still look that way! Woman, they ask for the truth, and when you give it to them they freak!
No wonder she is your EX!

Old 10-18-2011, 05:57 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,016,808 times
Sometimes there is something that a partner should have knowledge of such as a past drinking problem. Something like that can effect the future even if it is in control now. One of my BILs had given up drinking for a decade and had a new partner in life. She didn't understand his reticence in not wanting to go to social events where drinking was the norm because he hadn't told her. It came up in the form of a complaint from her to my wife and I about how he didn't want to attend these things seemingly for no reason. We didn't tell her but entreated him to do so and he did come clean. She was fine with it and they are still together. Things like this are something that if you love someone you need to come clean on because a partner has fair right to know what may come to bite them in the ass. Other than that I think let sleeping dogs lie, opening up old wounds to no end is pointless and can be hurtful where no hurt need happen.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
No wonder she is your EX!
Pure sarcasm Yankeegirl. Point: Not everybody wants to hear everything and people should be tack full and not hurtful in what they say. Honesty and openness is not all what it seems to be.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:38 AM

16,223 posts, read 25,703,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Pure sarcasm Yankeegirl. Point: Not everybody wants to hear everything and people should be tack full and not hurtful in what they say. Honesty and openness is not all what it seems to be.
Oh. Ok. So, when you told her this, it was in a nice, tactful way that she did not get hurt. I see! That makes it all better!

Old 10-19-2011, 05:48 AM

346 posts, read 508,259 times
How can you have a meaningful relationship with someone who doesn't know you, the choices you've made, the lessons you've learned, the very things that have made you who you are today? How can you have a meaningful relationship with someone you don't trust? How long before you start lying (even by omission) because your fear that they won't like what you have done, because you don't trust them? TRUST is huge! I am not saying your partner needs to know every little detail, but you need to examine why you would want to be with a person you don't trust enough to let them know you.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Oh. Ok. So, when you told her this, it was in a nice, tactful way that she did not get hurt. I see! That makes it all better!
It was hypothetical. I have never said anything like this.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 10-19-2011 at 09:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships