Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 12:45 AM

6,582 posts, read 12,091,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
As you can see OP this is the wrong place to come to. You won't get nothing but snide remarks and disrespect. What people don't seem to understand is that you don't need a SO to live. Being perpetually single is not as serious as being homeless and unemployed.
Its better than posting it on Facebook (or did he post it on his FB?). At least here you can remain ananymous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 07:58 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,780,699 times
[quote=Jellybean50;21394357

I'm going thru a 2-yr self-imposed celibacy (well, with other people - anyway lol) and it's doing me a lot of good. Not dating at all during that time either.
.......[/quote]

Taking some time off from dating is a good thing...it helps you refocus and analyze . Sadly, our Culture puts such great emphasis on happiness in a relationship that we feel we are missing something if we are not always tied to someone.........and im afraid that encourages a relationship addiction going from one to the next in rapid succesion . It is good for a person to have time alone , time to heal, time for other important things in life otherwise co-dependency sets in . I once took 4 years off of serious dating and just maintained casual yet meaningful friendships with the opposite sex...and it was a good no pressure experience . And it was minus the sexual component which so often destroys friendship and today is highly dangerous with diseases amounting to some 33 STD's shared amongst some 40,000,000 adult Americans.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:31 PM

244 posts, read 333,494 times
Life has surprises. Sometimes something happens when you least expect it. You may just meet an extra ordinary person who would like you for who you are, and then you find yourself doing things, and you don't even mind them.

But then again, you may end up being this way for a very long time and be content with it.

Only time can tell.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:35 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,239,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Too much work, lol
I guess you have to like women first.
Not really. Many of those who don't like women are the most successful getting them.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:23 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,990,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Not really. Many of those who don't like women are the most successful getting them.
Quantitatively, it's possible that a good-looking misogynist might be more successful than a typical ugly guy who likes/adores women, but he couldn't possibly be more successful than the good-looking guy who also happens to adore women.

EDITED for giggles: Damn! I googled successful to verify my spelling, and the first thing that popped up on the engine was "Successful black man." **** just got real. That's effed up.

Last edited by Raging-Hetero; 10-27-2011 at 01:32 PM..

Old 10-27-2011, 01:27 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,838,825 times
I don`t have any real sex life to speak of...not for the last few years - but this morning - I went to have coffee with the estranged old wife - we made love - as Benjamin Franklin said ....for health reasons ....She felt the healing relief and release - as did I ----------sex if very good for you....and fun.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:48 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,780,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I don`t have any real sex life to speak of...not for the last few years - but this morning - I went to have coffee with the estranged old wife - we made love - as Benjamin Franklin said ....for health reasons ....She felt the healing relief and release - as did I ----------sex if very good for you....and fun.
Its fun, indeed....but it clouds our judgement oftentimes.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:59 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,763,542 times
I'm a little older than the OP, and I stopped trying years ago. I've never been in a serious relationship. I had a couple of girlfriends in high school, but after just a few months both of those relationships fell apart. After that I went through a period of thinking I had to date with the intention of developing a serious relationship. After all, everyone I knew was doing that, so naturally I should, too. The problem is no one would date me. The two relationships I had in high school just sort of "happened" if you know what I mean, but after high school everything was different. You weren't around the same people for eight hours every day, many of whom you'd know for years already. No, now I had to actually try to meet new people, and I had no problem doing that. But the results were always just a bunch of new friends, and nothing more. I could make friends all day; I was pretty likable to a lot of people. But apparently I wasn't date-able.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You're not interested because the success isn't there. If you were more successful you wouldn't have a problem dating, would you be here posting about it if you were?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
WE DID make an effort. And it got us NOWHERE.....just gave us a negative opinion of American women. What do you expect us to do when there's no positive reinforcement?
These posts highlight something I've said before. If you try and try and try and never succeed, why wouldn't you stop trying? Some people simply are not as good at some things as other people. I have a friend who is a professional baseball player, but I'm terrible at baseball. Likewise, I've always had a knack for drawing/illustration, and he can barely draw a stick figure. And of course, we've each had a lot more practice at the things we're good at, but we wouldn't have bothered practicing if we didn't show at least some promise at the beginning.

Some people have a knack for "reading" other people. They seem to be able to tell what other people are thinking with reasonable accuracy. These people seem to always know what to say at the right time, and somehow they always seem to know what other people want or expect. They can predict with reasonable accuracy how others will behave and react. Then the average person seems to have a halfway decent ability to do the same, even if they're not as good at it as the first type. And then there are people like me, who are completely clueless in this regard. Like I said before, I can make friends okay, but I couldn't tell you why or how. It's not like I work some magic formula to gain friends, it just happens with no real effort or conscious decisions on my part. I just try to be friendly to people and in return they usually seem to like me...as a friend.

But as far as attracting members of the opposite sex, I couldn't even begin to tell you what it takes. I did it twice in high school and I have no idea how, and it hasn't happened since. It's like flipping a coin over and over and in the middle of it, for no obvious reason, the coin lands on edge twice in a row. After that you try to make it do it again but it never does, and you don't know why it did at all in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
You probaby should at least date someone seriously, to see if you'd really rather be alone - i know that i would! And if you would - i think that is fine too.
I can't speak for the OP, but the problem with this statement is that if I could have dated someone seriously, I would have done it by now. But like I said before, some of us just seem to be incapable of this. I can't just "decide" to try dating someone seriously, In fact, I can't just "decide" to date someone casually! It's an entirely elusive thing that might as well be from a different universe. It would be similar to me trying to fly (with my arms) to see if I'd like it. That's how impossible the idea has become to me.

With that being said, years ago when I gave up on trying, I was depressed. But during the following years I eventually got to know myself better, and finally didn't care if I ever dated again. And that's where I am now. It's just something I rarely think about these days, and something I don't even consider wasting my time trying to do again. Could I do it now? Maybe, but probably not. I'm no more knowledgeable of human behavior now than I was back then, I'm just more knowledgeable of myself. I still can't relate well to other people, or understand what makes them tick. Some people still seem to like me in a friendly way, for reasons I don't really understand. Sure, sometimes I'll see a happy couple enjoying a sunset by the bay and part of me wishes I had that, but 99.9% of the time I don't think about it, and when I do my past record tells me I'd be wasting my time to try. Not to mention the fact that most of the people I know in serious relationships are miserable, and the few I know who try to actively date seem utterly frustrated most of the time. That doesn't give me much confidence in me making a relationship work, assuming I could even get into one in the first place.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't go with the flow if I managed to attract a woman I found myself attracted to. But I'm not going to bother actively trying to make that situation happen. If it happens, fine, if not, that's fine too.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:35 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,708,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
Quantitatively, it's possible that a good-looking misogynist might be more successful than a typical ugly guy who likes/adores women, but he couldn't possibly be more successful than the good-looking guy who also happens to adore women.

EDITED for giggles: Damn! I googled successful to verify my spelling, and the first thing that popped up on the engine was "Successful black man." **** just got real. That's effed up.
it's an internet meme:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships