Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 04:18 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times

Advertisements

Is it possible that you can be friends with someone you were head over hills for at some point? Or would it be better to just split ways once the relationship was over? Would you want you spouse/ GF/BF to be friends with thier ex's? Why or why not?

I don't think I could be friends with my current Gf if we split apart I think it would break me if she found someone & was happier with him then she was with me. I think this only holds true for her it doesn't bother me that my past Gf's/Wife has moved on. Yet I don't care to be friends with any of them either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 04:49 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Depends on a lot of things. I dearly loved my college sweetheart but shortly after I enlisted in the military in 1966, she decided that a relationship with a soldier wasn't what she wanted. A year later when I received my commission as an officer and just prior to going overseas I tried to reconnect but her family wouldn't tell me where she was and had actually kept my letters from her. After almost two years overseas I returned and left the military. Again I tried to find her but no luck.

In time I married another, had children, settled down and that was that. However, the marriage ended in divorce after 25 years. By that time there was the Internet so once again I searched for her, by now more out of curiosity than anything else. Same results. Nothing. A few years later I remarried and my wife and I are about to celebrate our 15th anniversary.

In 2008, while searching for performing arts venues for one of my daughters - a dancer, dancer teacher, choreographer and dancing judge, up popped a name that stopped me in my tracks. Yup! It was my former girlfriend - different last name but back to living in the state where she'd been raised on the opposite coast from the one on which we met so many years ago. We corresponded a bit by email and spoke a time or two by telephone. She was in the midst of a divorce and was delighted to hear from me. I enjoyed the fact that a 40+ year, periodic search had finally borne fruit. I do love a challenge.

We now exchange emails every couple of weeks just to keep in touch. Interestingly enough, although my original plan back in the 60s was to marry her after I received my commission and, hopefully, returned alive from combat, in the end we would not have made good partners. Our adult likes, dislikes and lifestyles are far different and would not have blended at all well. Truth be known, I'm glad she sent me the proverbial "Dear John" letter 45 years ago.

So, yes, we remain friends who value one another, stay nominally in touch and are happy we reconnected. However, it took age, experience and a certain maturity level to make it work. It is possible and time is a great healer.

As for the rest, my wife is an adult and can be friends with whom she wishes. She is not in touch with any exes and her former husband and father of her children died years ago. She is not at all "challenged" by my old friendship and actually thinks its nice for me to be in touch with someone who knew and remembers my parents, both of whom died over 20 years ago. Trust and respect are key!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:35 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Yea. It's possible. I still hang with my ex. And we still have fun. It was a mutual breakup due to life situations. There were also a lot of other factors.

She is single, so we kick it like we did back in the old school and hit the town. However, when she/me finds someone, that relationship might be kaput out the window.

Probably not on my end though. I'm not a very visual or sexual creature. A lot of my attraction to another person has to do with their better qualities or at least what I project on to them as positive qualities.

Part of the reason the relationship ended is because she didn't have enough respect for me as a partner. Then, she was away for a couple of years. When she came back, she's just that much less attractive to me because of what I remember her doing to me. So watching her make out with another man in front of me wouldn't affect me at all (at least I don't think so). Back when we were going out, I would have been a bawling mess. All in the past.

It's great to have another drinking buddy though.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:17 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,520 times
I guess it depend on the situation and how the person handle it. I am not friends with my ex because I know it would not end well. I have a lot of growing to do and I hope I don't see him for a while.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:22 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,766 times
I think it depends on how you both feel. If you both are over each other and just like each others company to hang out with...For me personally, I have never really been friends with someone who there was still attraction too. The few that I've dated, been with whatever you want to call it (whom I never fell for) I could be friends with them no problem.. I tried it with one girl specifically (someone I never loved). Thought it could work out. But I could see the bitterness in her real quick. And she started to get nasty as if we were together..That ended that quickly..So like anything else in life, I think it depends on the situation and the people involved.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:32 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
Quote:
depends
+3.14159265...

Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Is it possible that you can be friends with someone you were head over hills for at some point? Or would it be better to just split ways once the relationship was over? Would you want you spouse/ GF/BF to be friends with thier ex's? Why or why not?

I don't think I could be friends with my current Gf if we split apart I think it would break me if she found someone & was happier with him then she was with me. I think this only holds true for her it doesn't bother me that my past Gf's/Wife has moved on. Yet I don't care to be friends with any of them either.
Sure you can, though it usually takes some time and distance after a breakup before it can happen.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:41 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,510,066 times
Absolutely not. If I wanted to be just friends, we wouldn't have been in a relationship.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:45 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
Absolutely not. If I wanted to be just friends, we wouldn't have been in a relationship.
oh good grief

Old 10-25-2011, 10:47 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,548 times
IMO only if both parties agreed to and wanted the breakup equally. Otherwise one person is always going to be pining. And proximity will only make it worse. Feelings do not go away with time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships