Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:50 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,347,986 times

Advertisements

Is it ok to sleep with someone else?

Case in point: the husband of someone close to me left her and although there was never talk of a divorce they were separated (maintained contact) for a few months. They've since reconciled and he confessed during the time apart he slept with someone else.

Thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 05:04 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,818,356 times
I think it depends on how broken the marriage really is. My ex met a woman and bought a house with her within a couple of months of our separation--way before the "D" word was ever discussed.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:26 PM

5,988 posts, read 10,501,202 times
If you agree to separate or take a break, you should define the terms and conditions that apply during that time, and the goal of the break. You really can't assume how things will be for the other person, or what they think it means. If the situation changes, you should discuss how you want things to be going forward, if you are going forward.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:44 PM

37,166 posts, read 42,353,577 times
There is really nothing to define. When someone wants to "take a break" from a marriage it means they want to have sex with someone else. The question is can the other person live with that?

Old 11-10-2011, 05:51 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,219,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Is it ok to sleep with someone else?

Case in point: the husband of someone close to me left her and although there was never talk of a divorce they were separated (maintained contact) for a few months. They've since reconciled and he confessed during the time apart he slept with someone else.

Thoughts.
Depends on the marriage, why they were separated, and whether each party is comfortable with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
If you agree to separate or take a break, you should define the terms and conditions that apply during that time, and the goal of the break. You really can't assume how things will be for the other person, or what they think it means. If the situation changes, you should discuss how you want things to be going forward, if you are going forward.
This is probably the best thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There is really nothing to define. When someone wants to "take a break" from a marriage it means they want to have sex with someone else. The question is can the other person live with that?
That can't always be the case, maybe some people feel too smothered or need some time to think about things.

Disclaimer: I am not married and am not typically friends with people who are married (due to my age.)

Old 11-10-2011, 05:57 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,318,566 times
Oh, what a thread this will be! Just can't wait for a certain someone to come out of the woodwork!

Old 11-10-2011, 05:59 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,337,250 times
I agree with Ceece.....JordanJP....the fact IS he did sleep with someone else...You can say it was because he felt smothered or needed some time to think about things if you want..but that doesn't change the fact.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I agree with Ceece.....JordanJP....the fact IS he did sleep with someone else...You can say it was because he felt smothered or needed some time to think about things if you want..but that doesn't change the fact.
But to generalize and say that all men, when they say they "need a break", are really just trying to sleep with someone else is not correct. It may be the case but most people I've known who have said "I need a break" aren't looking to sleep with others, but merely to get their **** together and figure out if they want to stay with the person or break it off altogether because things just aren't working out.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:31 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,240,502 times
Personally I would take it as cheating. If you're still married and hope to reconcile, then its cheating. If you've seperated and waiting for the divorce to finalize, maybe not so much.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Personally I would take it as cheating. If you're still married and hope to reconcile, then its cheating. If you've seperated and waiting for the divorce to finalize, maybe not so much.
Agree with this. Rep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships