Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:52 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,215,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikecharlene View Post
lol... humans judge, such is life. If one wants to determine class as a determinant of dating criteria, who are you to say otherwise?
Nothing in my post even insinuated that I was saying anybody else should see things the way I do. You might want to work on your comprehension skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 10:28 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,562,181 times
How do you determine someone's class when you have just met them and without a family pedigree, college transcripts, curriculum vita, and net worth statement.

Just cause someone is driving a Porsche, doesn't mean he/she is upper class. And just cause someone is wearing no-label clothes and driving a 10 year old honda, it doesn't mean he/she is lower class.

So how do you know what someone's "class" is when you meet them?

Last edited by brokensky; 12-14-2011 at 10:40 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 10:43 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,042,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikecharlene View Post
I wouldn't really date somebody from a lower social class, i don't usually like/respect these people much.

But can a lower class person date an upper class individual, and make it a successful relationship?

Quote:
Socio-economics/money, as well as vocation. Also to some extent education.
People with different socioeconomic, vocational, and education backgrounds can easily have fulfilling relationships.

I think that is about all I should to say...

Old 12-14-2011, 10:44 AM

494 posts, read 1,611,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
How do you determine someone's class when you have just met them and without a family pedigree, college transcripts, curriculum vita, and net worth statement.

Just cause someone is driving a Porsche, doesn't mean he/she is upper class. And just cause someone is wearing no-label clothes and driving a 10 year old honda, it doesn't mean he/she is lower class.

For some people, it's pretty obvious.

For others, well, that's why you get to know them!

In either case, material objects can cover up class. If you wish to determine it, see how they talk, see who they hang out with, see what their taste are, etc. Anybody can buy nice stuff and pretend to be something they aren't, but until you actually get to know them, you have no clue.

Last edited by southseeker; 12-14-2011 at 10:54 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 10:44 AM

348 posts, read 550,381 times
anifani821

So true. My poorest friend drives a more expensive car than my wealthiest friend.

I'm a professional (very educated, etc.), from a stable (yet kinda wacky, but whose isn't?) family where money is not a real issue. My most recent gf (who I may still end up with) comes from no money and had a tough childhood. Almost everything about our backgrounds is very different. But I wouldn't trade my experience with her for anything. She's such an attractive, amazing, ambitious, sweet person.

I have a lady friend who is from a family with money and will only date guys with similar backgrounds. She won't admit it of course, but it's obvious. I've set her up with guys who are a tall, handsome (confirmed by other women) and have good jobs. But because they are not of her 'class', she's not interested. She's the stereotypical "I'll date a shlub with money over a good-looking, cool dude with regular dough" type of chick. Thing is, she's alone a lot because lots of those dudes date bimbos.

Now, we all have our preferences and I'm not saying she should date some guy living in a van down by the river. Rather that she's so rigid in her 'class' views that she really misses out.

Last edited by DrVanNostren; 12-14-2011 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: Structure

Old 12-14-2011, 10:49 AM

29,759 posts, read 34,459,247 times
I think like tends to stick with like. There aren't any hard and fast rules, but people of the same socioeconomic, educational, professional levels will date each other, because those are the people in their circles. A CEO may sleep with his secretary, but he's probably not going to be taking her to a fundraising benefit or view her as wife material.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:52 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
Only people with no class even think about "class" or socioeconomic groups when choosing who to date

Old 12-14-2011, 10:54 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,550,075 times
TVSG, is that you???

Old 12-14-2011, 10:55 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Exactly.

You are a class act my friend - and that "class" has absolutely nothing to do with your annual income or financial holdings

Old 12-14-2011, 11:00 AM

494 posts, read 1,611,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Only people with no class even think about "class" or socioeconomic groups when choosing who to date
Very true.

But you have to agree on some extent, that most people will at least think about it subconsciously. For example, I would never date someone who has had criminal record and poor and/or has no outlook for their life other than smoke weed and just scrape by, because we practically got nothing in common.

I think the line is blurred somewhat between preferences and class honestly, just like it is with race. Some people, even though they won't openly admit it, feel more comfortable only dating their own because it's not uncharted territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships