Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:30 AM

7,004 posts, read 21,362,005 times

Advertisements

Or just let them live the fantasy. My son is 8 and he figured it out at the age of 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 07:42 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,531,286 times
I think this topic was thoroughly discussed last week. Many felt that lying to a child in this way was horrible. I am one who believes that kids see too much "reality" too soon in life. Childhood is short, let them have a fantasy for this short time. Those of us who may have the new channels going all day. Please be careful of what your child may be hearing and seeing of little Caylee Anthony. Hearing about her death and all the details could be very tramatic. This time of year is for joy and fun.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:44 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,469,546 times
If it was discussed last week, I missed it.
Our kids figured it out by the time they were 10. The big mouth kids at school told them.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:45 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,205,035 times
No, they'll figure it out.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:50 AM

7,004 posts, read 21,362,005 times
Where I grew up (in my country) the Three Kings were the ones who brought the gifts to children, not Santa Claus. I was like 6 or 7 and saw my mom putting the gifts under my bed a few hours before my bedtime and then I reliaxed it was a hoax. I never told my mom about it until she asked me if I belived in the Three Kings when I was 12. I then told her.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:51 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,233,616 times
You know, there's always some pious know-it-all who thinks telling kids about Santa is tantamount to child abuse. These are typically very unhappy, friendless people who cannot abide any fun at all in other people, and they live to ruin other people's fun in the pursuit of "truth," or whatever they perceive it to be. As if sharing a harmless little legend will mentally scar the child for life upon the discovery that it's not so. To people like that, I offer that they should get a life.

Now, all that being said, my nine-year-old daughter came to me a few holidays ago, looked me straight in the eye, and said, "There's no Santa Claus, right?" To which I shook my head and said, "No, sweetie, there isn't. It's just a pleasant story." She nodded her head sagely, said, "Cool," and moved on. No trauma, no scarring, no latent resentment. Same thing for my older son. My youngest is nine, and he is dubious, but he's still pretending to believe. I'm fairly sure he'll shake it off by the time next Christmas rolls around. After all, a ten- or eleven-year-old who still believes in Santa is bordering on mental retardation.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:58 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,026,945 times
I think anyone who thinks it's wrong to let them have their little childhood magic just forgot what it's like to be young. Never forget, that's when you become old.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:03 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,089,404 times
Seriously, if you fear years from now your kid is going to be lying on the couch complaining to a therapist about your lying to them about this...you might want to re-examine your childhood development plans, do you really want to be this anal about being the "perfect parent"???

Old 12-22-2008, 08:10 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,266,876 times
"Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished." --Francis P. Church

Enough said.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:12 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,981,165 times
Well, the chimney pipe is 8 inches wide and the man is 300 pounds..hmmm?

Goes all over the world in ONE night? Hmmm?

Flying reindeer? Hmmm?

You know, if your kid doesn't figure it out then he is kinda... slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships