Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:07 AM

79 posts, read 71,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
BAHAHAHA you are kidding me right? WE love when guys do stuff not defined by gender roles. I don't know what kind of women you hang around but i have never heard any girl complain about that. Usually the men moaning about womens lib i find are ones stuck in the 1950's.
Yeah.. women don't complain if the man wants to take on female roles like cooking, cleaning, childcare, and laundry. But when a man ignores the male roles like paying for dates, providing for the woman, protecting the woman, fixing things, leading, etc. he is heavily criticized.

Lets get serious... this topic strikes a nerve with women because its THE TRUTH and you women don't like getting called out / exposed.

Last edited by Mr. Crisp; 12-22-2011 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-22-2011, 11:08 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,283,522 times
Quote:
Why would someone be ridiculed for complaining they put in more into the relationship? And i think that if any people are living together they should both be expected to contribute to expenses.
Why would that have to change when it comes to dating? I totally agree that men should clean up, cook, etc. why should those things be considered a "woman's job", right? Same thing when it comes to dating. I guess the person who started this thread is asking. What would hold you from approaching that new guy in the office (not the husband or long time boyfriend) you find attractive to introduce yourself, break the ice, and later on along the road ask for his number and offer yours to ask him out and pay for his dinner/wine, drinnks, entertainment, etc. Then later on romance him, propose marriage, buy him a ring, talk to his family, etc. Or is that different or a man's job?

Old 12-22-2011, 11:09 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,666,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crisp View Post
A lot of the confusion comes from the following question: Are men and women equal or not?
We have equal rights now in the west, yes. But we are very, very different.

And for the record, if anyone, male or female, were to post a thread complaining about the opposite gender not asking them out, the overwhelming response from people would be to perceive that as whining and tell that poster to ask them out him/herself.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:10 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,292,807 times
Quote:
Yeah.. women don't complain if the man wants to take on female roles like cooking, cleaning, childcare, and laundry. But when a man ignores the male roles like, paying for dates, providing for the woman, protecting the woman, leading, etc. he is heavily criticized.

Lets get serious... this topic strikes a nerve with women because its THE TRUTH and you women don't like getting called out / exposed.

LOL okay right, it doesn't strike a nerve with me. I am just amused on how wrong you are is all.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:10 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,739,181 times
Quote:
In American society today women and men are expected to be equal. Women can be as successful as men and do all the jobs men do. Women also have more freedom in relationships to either take on female gender roles or not. And if a woman decides not to take on traditional female gender roles (like cooking, cleaning, etc.) she should not be questioned because she is "equal" to a man.

HOWEVER, men are still expected to take on traditional male gender roles in romantic relationships even if the woman doesn't. For instance: Men should still make the first move, men should still pay for the first date (and most dates), men should still propose, men should fix things, men should cut the grass and take out the trash, etc.

So why do women have the option of ignoring gender roles without being questioned about it, but men have to follow them and if they don't they are criticized and "not a real man" etc.?
my neighbor friend is female and she works outside the home as does her husband but he does all the cooking. There's women that propose marriage and ask guys on dates. Couples that 'go dutch' on bills, esp. in today's economy. My single aunt uses a riding mower for her lawn. I take out my own trash, etc. LOL. I think people ASSUME the things you mentioned b/c they are tradition -- but it's certainly not always the case. I don't think there's anything wrong with traditional gender roles or breaking the mold.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:13 AM

51 posts, read 77,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
Very very very good topic for discussion. I have to rep you on this one, mate.

Same applies to military burdens in a lot of Westernized countries where women are "liberated" and considered equal, but men are the still ones who have to stick their necks out there when "thing can get ugly".

And still all I hear on the media is of feminists bashing men for this and that, always men's fault for this and that, etc

It's hard to not be bitter sometimes...
If my country had to defend itself, I wouldn't want any women on the frontline F'ing things up

Nah, In times of war... Make the women stay at home.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:15 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,292,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Why would that have to change when it comes to dating? I totally agree that men should clean up, cook, etc. why should those things be considered a "woman's job", right? Same thing when it comes to dating. I guess the person who started this thread is asking. What would hold you from approaching that new guy in the office you find attractive to introduce yourself, break the ice, and later on along the road ask for his number and offer yours to ask him out (yes, first date) and pay for his dinner/wine, drinnks, entertainment, etc. Then later on romance him, propose marriage, buy him a ring, talk to his family, etc. Or is that "different" or a man's job? I am not talking about doing those things with your husband or your long time boyfriend.

I have done just that, and have friends who have done just that. The same goes for proposing marriage, and paying for dinner. However on the flip side ask some guys how they would feel if their mate proposed to them, or if they wanted him to take their name . My point is that both sides contribute to it because i have seen just as many guys get peeved over the idea their date is paying for them. But his blanket view that it's all women and not men is crap, because many girls are happy doing just this.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
We have equal rights now in the west, yes. But we are very, very different.

And for the record, if anyone, male or female, were to post a thread complaining about the opposite gender not asking them out, the overwhelming response from people would be to perceive that as whining and tell that poster to ask them out him/herself.
What whining are you talking about? I'm simply asking a question about double standards.

Are you REALLY going to sit here and pretend there are no double standards with male and female behavior?

Really? No.. really?

Last edited by Mr. Crisp; 12-22-2011 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-22-2011, 11:17 AM

51 posts, read 77,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
As a woman I don't mind female gender roles. Even the old ones. Usually it's men who don't like that I'm this way. They want a man.
So if you were to get married, would you take his last name?

Old 12-22-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
LOL okay right, it doesn't strike a nerve with me. I am just amused on how wrong you are is all.
Wrong about what?

Are you REALLY going to sit here and pretend there are no double standards with male and female behavior?

Really? No.. really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships