Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 11,560 times

Advertisements

Hi there
Im a 26 yr old male who had a car accident 2 years ago
I have recovered a fair amount the last 2 years and am wanting to start dating again.
Im still unable to work because of some head pains, cognitive difficulties and dizzy spells but I still hope in the years to come I can return to a full time job.
Im having trouble with guilt. I feel bad about getting into a relationship with someone nice and bringing them into my life.
I know I cant provide what most other guys can. eg I cant provide financial support, I still rest alot and cant do as much socially, Im more quiet than i used to be because of the cognitive stuff, short term memory sucks aswell. I deal with panic on top of.
I have gained things though. Ive learnt alot more about life,people and whats important.
Is it ok to bring someone into my life when im somewhat restricted. I find myself feeling guilty about doing so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 11:25 PM

431 posts, read 1,310,901 times
That's tough dude. I'm sorry about your situation. I think if you're honest about your situation then I don't think you have anything to feel guilty about. I'm not saying it needs to be the first thing to come out of your mouth. But if she likes you and you ease into telling her over the first few dates then I don't see why you should feel guilty. And if she's worth it then she'll understand and stick around.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:27 PM

429 posts, read 1,148,405 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing someone into your life. Certainly you have some limitations, but who doesn't?! Just be honest about how your brain injury has affected you and let the person you're dating decide if this is something she can be comfortable with. Give her a little info at a time; you don't want to overwhelm her with your challenges before she has a chance to know all your good qualities. And remember that not every relationship has to end in a lifelong commitment. Sometimes just a bit of companionship can really improve your quality of life.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:50 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayd85 View Post
Hi there
I have recovered a fair amount the last 2 years and am wanting to start dating again.
Im still unable to work because of some head pains, cognitive difficulties and dizzy spells but I still hope in the years to come I can return to a full time job.
Im having trouble with guilt. I feel bad about getting into a relationship with someone nice and bringing them into my life.
I know I cant provide what most other guys can. eg I cant provide financial support, I still rest alot and cant do as much socially, Im more quiet than i used to be because of the cognitive stuff, short term memory sucks aswell. I deal with panic on top of.
I have gained things though. Ive learnt alot more about life,people and whats important.
Is it ok to bring someone into my life when im somewhat restricted. I find myself feeling guilty about doing so
Dear hayd85,

The purpose of being on this wonderful planet is to be happy and to partake in joyful experiences with others. Don't feel guilty. Focus on yourself. Everything else will fall into place.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 11,560 times
Thanks for the replys guys. I think your right in that ill ease into telling her and leave it up to her to decide whether she wants to be apart of it or not. Nothing to lose I suppose

Old 12-24-2011, 08:52 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I'm so sorry you've had to go through this. Life is not fair.

You just have to be open and honest, and see what happens. You have value and are a good person, you just need to find someone that sees that too.

It's hard for everyone to find compatible matches. Do not sell yourself short.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:06 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,539 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replys guys. I think your right in that ill ease into telling her and leave it up to her to decide whether she wants to be apart of it or not. Nothing to lose I suppose
That's absolutely correct.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:08 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,853 times
Is there an update? I'd love to hear it. My TBI was in 2002 - the dark ages of TBI treatment. I never received adequate care. I am still recovering. Your concerns in 2011 over dating - I relate. I understand. I get it.

Hope things have greatly improved.

Quote:
Hi there

Old 11-10-2015, 07:18 PM

220 posts, read 174,684 times
Quote:
Hi there
I'm really sorry for your situation. I think that everyone in life deserves a shot at happiness and a relationship and you are no different. Definitely let her know a little bit at a time but let her see your good side first.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:24 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
Is there an update? I'd love to hear it. My TBI was in 2002 - the dark ages of TBI treatment. I never received adequate care. I am still recovering. Your concerns in 2011 over dating - I relate. I understand. I get it.
Mine was even earlier, but I did receive adequate care.
I am also still recovering.

The OP never posted on this board after starting & replying on this thread.
Hope he is well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships