Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 07:50 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,425,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Mine was even earlier, but I did receive adequate care.
I am also still recovering.

The OP never posted on this board after starting & replying on this thread.
Hope he is well.
I was around here several years ago & have forgotten that I can check on this info (also don't remember where I would do that. Plus, I repped you, but accidentally did it without a message.

What also influenced them not treating me adequately, besides where BI treatment/knowledge was at the time, was that I was high functioning, in a higher level professional position before the accident & remained at work for 2 years. They brushed off what we now know to be tell-tale signs. Actually, many of which, even then, were tell-tale, but, everyone missed it. I was perceived as neurotic in many ways, & therefore things they couldn't explain with my other injuries, were brushed aside & treated as if I was simply a "head case". This isn't me being reactionary or bitter. It's just the way it was.

I am in the process of trying to get further treatment at the best treatment centre in my area - crossing my fingers that they accept me. The director agreed to review my case.

Thank you for sharing. It is always helpful to hear from others who "know"... Especially those who are still healing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 04:41 PM

373 posts, read 483,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayd85 View Post
Hi there
Im a 26 yr old male who had a car accident 2 years ago
I have recovered a fair amount the last 2 years and am wanting to start dating again.
Im still unable to work because of some head pains, cognitive difficulties and dizzy spells but I still hope in the years to come I can return to a full time job.
Im having trouble with guilt. I feel bad about getting into a relationship with someone nice and bringing them into my life.
I know I cant provide what most other guys can. eg I cant provide financial support, I still rest alot and cant do as much socially, Im more quiet than i used to be because of the cognitive stuff, short term memory sucks aswell. I deal with panic on top of.
I have gained things though. Ive learnt alot more about life,people and whats important.
Is it ok to bring someone into my life when im somewhat restricted. I find myself feeling guilty about doing so
If you can walk, talk and perform in the bedroom, you have met society's expectation as a man. Now aim for the low hanging fruits...ahem women and stick to hooking up. I wouldn't recommend relationship or marriage, though.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:17 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayd85 View Post
Hi there
Im a 26 yr old male who had a car accident 2 years ago
I have recovered a fair amount the last 2 years and am wanting to start dating again.
Im still unable to work because of some head pains, cognitive difficulties and dizzy spells but I still hope in the years to come I can return to a full time job.
Im having trouble with guilt. I feel bad about getting into a relationship with someone nice and bringing them into my life.
I know I cant provide what most other guys can. eg I cant provide financial support, I still rest alot and cant do as much socially, Im more quiet than i used to be because of the cognitive stuff, short term memory sucks aswell. I deal with panic on top of.
I have gained things though. Ive learnt alot more about life,people and whats important.
Is it ok to bring someone into my life when im somewhat restricted. I find myself feeling guilty about doing so
How will you remember them if you start dating again?

I think you should give it some more time. That's not bad or anything, I just think waiting a few years will be better.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:25 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,016,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post

I think you should give it some more time. That's not bad or anything, I just think waiting a few years will be better.
It's been 4 years, so ....

Maybe he forgot about the thread.

Hope he is feeling better and enjoying life.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:56 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,425,788 times
Quote:

I'm guessing, because you call yourself funny, that you thought this funny, but it's not. As someone living with TBI, it's truly not. The brain is a fragile & complex & resilient thing - all at the same time. I have never appreciated my memory so much, as I do now that it's work to use it. Having a brain injury with, say, short term memory difficulties would not effect knowing someone, remembering them. Different areas, effect different functions.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:11 PM

22,634 posts, read 47,782,880 times
Quote:
You really do not have a clue, do you?

And the post you quoted is four years old... in your professional opinion, how much longer does he have to wait, given his condition?

Old 11-13-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
I'm guessing, because you call yourself funny, that you thought this funny, but it's not. As someone living with TBI, it's truly not. The brain is a fragile & complex & resilient thing - all at the same time. I have never appreciated my memory so much, as I do now that it's work to use it. Having a brain injury with, say, short term memory difficulties would not effect knowing someone, remembering them. Different areas, effect different functions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You really do not have a clue, do you?

And the post you quoted is four years old... in your professional opinion, how much longer does he have to wait, given his condition?
My post was not meant to be funny.

He said he would have trouble with short term memory so I suggested waiting a couple years. Maybe waiting till he was able to sustain a full time job.

I never intended it to be funny and I apologize for the statement made.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
It's been 4 years, so ....

Maybe he forgot about the thread.

Hope he is feeling better and enjoying life.
Thanks Eve. You always seem to have my back and it appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships