Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 03:19 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,769,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon17 View Post
Did you read the article? It discusses that women are strong enough to be there for men through cancer. If you find an article on men that lost a leg and the stats on that sure I would love to read it.

BTW, I'm not anti male. I'm anti MOST males
I am not sure about pulling stats but I have heard of way too many incidents where army wives cheat on their men who are "after all fighting for their country". Imagine that. These guys come back and they don't even get the support from their women. They become zombies trying to fit into a non-combative world. There's a ton of articles on yahoo.

You simply cannot use one yahoo article and brushstroke all men away.

That guy could have lost a fortune in chemo and stuff. You sure know how much insurance rats and stethescreeps rip off their patients in this world, right?

I'm not gonna name him. There is a C/D user here who lost a fortune supporting his ailing wife and eventually put her in some care facility and moved on with his life. I was one of the people who whipped the guy for doing it. But think of what may have happened in his shoes - 15 years of pain. At some point, somebody is going to quit. Well, in my culture, family congregates around the ailing and even if the husband wants to quit, the family will set his mind right. I don't think that can happen here, considering family may or may not congregate only once a year to cut a poor turkey up

Old 12-23-2011, 03:20 PM

217 posts, read 432,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I found the following quote from the comments funny:
I wonder who initiates the divorce? A few years ago I had a cancer scare and considered divorcing my husband because I couldn’t bear the thought of spending my last days with him...
LOL interesting. Could have "a life is too short dying or not dying to be with you" twist to it. Thanks for sharing that.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:23 PM

217 posts, read 432,053 times
Yeah I have heard of that and it's terrible. I myself actually don't have any friends or family that had military ties, but isn't it usually very, very young people like under 25? Not giving an excuse, but young people (men and women if you could even call them in the 18-25 range) aren't exactly relationship ready these days and aren't exactly the smartest when being in relationships.

There actually are more articles on this topic and it wasn't a Yahoo article..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I am not sure about pulling stats but I have heard of way too many incidents where army wives cheat on their men who are "after all fighting for their country". Imagine that. These guys come back and they don't even get the support from their women. They come zombies trying to fit into a non-combative world. There's a ton of articles on yahoo.

You simply cannot use one yahoo article and brushstroke all men away.

That guy could have lost a fortune in chemo and stuff. You sure know how much insurance rats and stethescreeps rip off their patients in this world, right?

I'm not gonna name him. There is a C/D user here who lost a fortune supporting his ailing wife and eventually put her in some care facility and moved on with his life. I was one of the people who whipped the guy for doing it. But think of what may have happened in his shoes - 15 years of pain. At some point, somebody is going to quit. Well, in my culture, family congregates around the ailing and even if the husband wants to quit, the family will set his mind right. I don't think that can happen here, considering family may or may not congregate only once a year to cut a poor turkey up

Old 12-23-2011, 03:24 PM

4,072 posts, read 2,156,777 times
I did see the same thing when I interned at a rehab center as an occupational therapy student. Women seemed to be deserted when the going got tough (not just cancer, but stuff like strokes and multiple sclerosis). The wives seemed to stay with their husbands, however, during serious illness.

But......this doesn't mean that every guy would desert his wife. Choose well and you can get someone who will be with you in good times and bad.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:26 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,771,035 times
I'd like to believe I'd never leave her, but having never been in that situation, and having never even been in a serious relationship, I couldn't say with certainty.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:30 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,103,361 times
I think if I had a serious terminal diagnosis I'd divorce my husband and save him from the financial disaster of medical bills. He'll have 4 kids to raise himself and there is no way I'd leave him in bankruptcy!

My son and I both had surgery last year and we are still paying for it.

And that was CHEAP compared to any kind of cancer or terminal illness treatment!

Old 12-23-2011, 03:44 PM

64 posts, read 111,427 times
The idea of leaving a spouse who is seriously ill but living makes me ill. I couldn't do it.

I could understand some grey areas if your spouse were brain dead and in a persistent vegetative state that was likely to continue for years and years. Even more troubling would a person had severe dementia or traumatic brain injury. Modern medicine can keep such a person alive for decades. The average age of traumatic brain injury is 22, with a significant number of those injured able to survive until they die of old age.

My spouse and I have discussed this. It's awkward, of course. I hope I never have to be in a situation where one of us are in such a state. As we are recently married at 55, it's likely that will happen to one of us. We both agree that we don't wish to be kept alive by machines, especially if there is no brain activity.

For me, the notion of me being in an incurable vegetative state and having my healthy spouse being denied a warm/loving relationship makes me wince. OTOH, if I somehow came back to life, I might have a slightly different feeling.

Living until old age with a serious illness is becoming much more likely. My parents are in their early 80s and in fairly good health, though one had a bypass 20 years ago and they both have conditions that would have killed people in their parent's (my grandparent's) generation. They live in an active adult community where there are dozens of people their age or older who are living with painful cancers and heart conditions who are not even close to death. (Ask them about how they felt about smoking in their 20s sometimes).

Their lives become quite complex. Many people who are older are divorcing and remarrying as well. The sociological impact of longevity is something we are not ready to deal with.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:46 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,482,948 times
No way in hell.
That's your partner.
Partners stick together.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:01 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,946,094 times
My wife and I are joined at the hip. We do it all together. Plenty to throw mud at both sexes. No one sex more viruous than the other. Many wives will stick with husbands, in sickness and economic times, and vice versa. Many husbands will stick it out through cancer with their wives. But you will also find married men and women on the internet dating sites looking for "companionship", and women who dump their husbands after they get laid off. People can be pretty heartless. Its sad how many people treasure their pets more than their spouses.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:09 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,029,608 times
I watched my dad suffer while mom died of breast cancer for 5 years. He stuck with her through everything. And I mean everything.

Absolutely 1000% I would stick by my wife until the day she passe. Not a second thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships