Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:24 AM

20 posts, read 27,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Yes, the women on here would be singing a different tune. How could he do this, all men cheat, he deserves to die alone, blah, blah, blah.
If a man was unfaithful, it would be the same concept. I don't believe in picking a side because its unreasonable to pin that type of behavior just on men since women can be just as treacherous. Both women and men should respect themselves and their partners to be completely faithful. That is what a real marriage should be in general. So, I would definitely disagree that women would be singing a different tune because not all men cheat and nobody deserves to die alone regardless of what they may have done to cause it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 08:25 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,690,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think most folks are just stunned that anyone of either gender would do such a thing at 99 and after 77 years of marriage (and history) with another person.

I don't think it is a gender thing at all.
Yes, agreed.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:35 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,884,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I like it. What is all this "ageism" I see in here? Would it be different if the guy was 40, and his wife 39, and they had been married for ten years?
I agree, that and there is no statute of limitations on cheating..there is no 'it's been 60 years get over it'...he just found out now, so why would he 'get over it'?

Old 12-30-2011, 09:07 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,211,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I get where you are coming from - but just because she had an affair doesn't mean that their whole relationship was a joke. She had the affair 50 years ago! Who knows what was going on 50 years ago! They might have been having problems and they might have worked them out since then. Just because she cheated on him 50 years ago doesn't nullify the whole relationship. I'm not saying he doesn't have a right to his feelings - and if I were in his shoes, I'd be devastated. But I'm just thinking that if I found out that my husband had an affair years ago - if he regretted it and kept on loving me ever since - I'm not so sure I'd divorce him. And we've only been together for 10 years.

However, the fact that she kept the letters does make me wonder...
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
Just a question...if the genders were reversed and the wife found out about him cheating....would you guys make snide remarks about her for leaving?
Quote:
Again the only ones saying this B.S. are women. Not buying it, sorry. Safe it for some other sucker.
Quote:
Yes, the women on here would be singing a different tune. How could he do this, all men cheat, he deserves to die alone, blah, blah, blah.

Hmmm... Funny thing - but I think I pretty much did reverse the genders in my post - so... What are you guys complaining about??? This isn't a gender thing. You can try to make it a gender thing if it pleases you but it really isn't.

As for the children thing - a good parent would understand. If you are not a good parent - you won't. It's that simple. It would be different if we were talking about a woman who had just given birth - but this man's children are grown - and he raised them and loved them. Now admittedly, as another poster said - we don't know that he loved them because we don't know if he really is a good person or not. Coincidentally, I'd swear that poster was describing my grandfather but my grandfather isn't dead yet!

The thing is - we can speculate on this until the cows come home but at the end of the day - all we know is that she had an affair 50 years ago, saved the letters, he just found out, and now he's divorcing her. We don't know if they had a happy marriage. We don't know if they even loved each other. They might have even had an arranged marriage. He might have beaten her. She might have cheated on him with many different people. We don't really know anything.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:16 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,297,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiel View Post
...Why would a ninety nine year old man be rummaging through a chest of drawers?
Apparently he was cleaning. Maybe he should have helped out with the cleaning a bit sooner in the marriage .

Old 12-30-2011, 01:34 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,287,357 times
Quote:
Again the only ones saying this B.S. are women. Not buying it, sorry. Safe it for some other sucker.
Quote:

You sure about that? Did you read my post, which suggests something with far more impact than divorce?

[url]//www.city-data.com/forum/22320300-post54.html[/url]

Quite generalizing.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:40 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,310,227 times
Quote:

Most people cheat in general i find. I think that something so long ago needs to be let go of.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,587,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Hmmm... Funny thing - but I think I pretty much did reverse the genders in my post - so... What are you guys complaining about??? This isn't a gender thing. You can try to make it a gender thing if it pleases you but it really isn't.

As for the children thing - a good parent would understand. If you are not a good parent - you won't. It's that simple. It would be different if we were talking about a woman who had just given birth - but this man's children are grown - and he raised them and loved them. Now admittedly, as another poster said - we don't know that he loved them because we don't know if he really is a good person or not. Coincidentally, I'd swear that poster was describing my grandfather but my grandfather isn't dead yet!

The thing is - we can speculate on this until the cows come home but at the end of the day - all we know is that she had an affair 50 years ago, saved the letters, he just found out, and now he's divorcing her. We don't know if they had a happy marriage. We don't know if they even loved each other. They might have even had an arranged marriage. He might have beaten her. She might have cheated on him with many different people. We don't really know anything.
So true. Unless the guy reveals his motivation to seek divorce, all we are doing is speculating.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:45 PM

626 posts, read 905,079 times
Quote:
Ok let me find an excuse for the old guy. Here goes: "It's the principle". Did it work?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:14 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,141,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well that's just ridiculous.

He sounds as though he may not be of sound mind at this point.
Because he's upset she has been lying to him for ~70 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships