Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:02 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,836,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
But didn't you just reject someone because of her weighing 25lbs more than you'd like? There's a good chance she's wondering the same thing as you right now. Sometimes people aren't compatible, doesn't mean one of you did something "wrong".
That's absolutely correct. The simple reason why two people don't work out with one another is simply that "they're not a match." Nothing that one person did or didn't do wrong, it just means that there are other more compatible people for each of them out in the world. They're just not a match for each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 11:06 AM

11,819 posts, read 12,072,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Nope, haven't rejected her. We're going out again.
Oooooh, that's exciting to hear! Hope it goes well!

Old 01-02-2012, 12:12 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,512,712 times
I was talking about this with my cousin's dad. He said dating is so different today compared to when he started back in the 70s. Dating today is more like job interviews. There's no real fun in it like there used to be. And dating rules are much more open to interpretation and confusion.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:12 PM

890 posts, read 1,652,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1987 View Post
OP, describe your ideal date.

What is the purpose of you dating?
The purpose of dating in my opinion is to find out what I want and I don't want in a relationship. I did at one point meet someone that met my list of qualities. But she wasn't as outgoing as I prefer and she works too much. My ideal date would consist of watching a sporting event as sports are my main interest.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
The purpose of dating in my opinion is to find out what I want and I don't want in a relationship. I did at one point meet someone that met my list of qualities. But she wasn't as outgoing as I prefer and she works too much. My ideal date would consist of watching a sporting event as sports are my main interest.
Aren't you glad you met her? It's nice when you find people who are matching what you desire in a partner and dating is a path that eventually might lead you to someone who is a great match. In the meantime, isn't it nice to have fun with those you meet along the way?

Don't get hung up on reasons why someone isn't the one. Instead, cherish their good qualities and you'll continue to meet more people whose good qualities you can appreciate. And one of whom with which you can connect in a long term, short term or whatever sort of relationship you choose. The possibilities are endless. There are a lot of great people on this planet with whom we can choose to interact, get to know, connect, and share good times with. That's dating.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:22 PM

It can be fun at times, but now I'm stuck in a slight rut because I am interested in someone that's not into me and we have maintained a friendship. Its hard for me to get my mind off of her :-(

Old 01-02-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
It can be fun at times, but now I'm stuck in a slight rut because I am interested in someone that's not into me and we have maintained a friendship. Its hard for me to get my mind off of her :-(
Yea I have the same... but with a boy. It's okay though, I like to think good thoughts about him. He's so hot and I'm so glad I met him. I'm sure there are plenty of other people for me, though. We just weren't a match and I'm cool with just thinking about how hot he is. It's fun to have a crush on someone. He's a great person and it's not going anywhere I think. But it's still fun. Because I'm not trying to make him "the One". I just enjoy thinking about our times together, how nice he is, how hot he is! Even if it's not going anywhere, it definitely made me aware of what I want.

So this girl probably helped you sort out what you want in a partner. What's great about her?

Old 01-02-2012, 03:18 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,423,021 times
I agree. I refuse to date, or do "internet" dating. Forget it. If it means I am alone for life, I am okay with that, and pursuing my own interests. I am a great person, well educated, have a great career, yet, when dating I was constantly judged, and felt "inferior", like I did not measure up. Believe me, that is the last thing I need. I don't need to set myself up for rejection. So, I focus on my career, and have really made a lot of positive goals I can achieve in this area of my life. Dating, forget it. I would just rather be alone than wade thru all the muck.

I met one guy, later found out he was a complete liar, and had been in prison. After that, and another guy who stole my jewelry, I am done.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:23 PM

773 posts, read 1,261,748 times
Quote:
So I have been dating for about 5 years. At first when I started it was fun. Then about a year and half into it I slowly began to lose interest. I kept dating however. I took a two year hiatus while recovering from a unrequited love situation and now I'm back at it. I recently moved to a new city and feel the same way. I've only dated 2 people, one who was clearly not right for me. I just want to know if there's anyone out there with similar experience s
I'm in a wonderful relationship now, but a year ago, I felt your exact pain. I took a loooong break from dating after a really dysfunctional relationship finally ended. I needed time to regroup. When I finally started dating again, it sucked goats. The "job interview" description couldn't be more true. Dating, to my mind, was as dull as dirt for the most part.

What I didn't do was waste my time. If I was unsure in the least little bit, or if I knew the guy already had a dealbreaker (divorced w/ young kids is a BIG one for me), I didn't take to a second date. Or, I didn't go out with him in the first place.

That's the only advice I can give you. Don't waste your time, if you already know that you'll be walking into a situation you know you don't want — no matter how wonderful the OP may initially seem.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1987 View Post
Yea I have the same... but with a boy. It's okay though, I like to think good thoughts about him. He's so hot and I'm so glad I met him. I'm sure there are plenty of other people for me, though. We just weren't a match and I'm cool with just thinking about how hot he is. It's fun to have a crush on someone. He's a great person and it's not going anywhere I think. But it's still fun. Because I'm not trying to make him "the One". I just enjoy thinking about our times together, how nice he is, how hot he is! Even if it's not going anywhere, it definitely made me aware of what I want.

So this girl probably helped you sort out what you want in a partner. What's great about her?
Because we both have interest in sports, we like the same football team, she's into video games, basically it's because she's not a girly girl. Don't get me wrong, being feminine is pretty but it's not attractive when a woman is obsessed with the way she looks or wants to appear perfect looking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships