Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:56 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times

Advertisements

It just sounds way too "iffy" and I wouldn't chance it. Perhaps you could ask your LL to let you go month to month if you're SURE he will eventually get her out. It depends on what "fall-back" you could have if you give up your apt only to find out you have no where to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 09:57 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
This is funny. I'm sorry.

I guess he could be a really nice guy who is helping her out but ....but IDK.

Maybe he is using you as an excuse to get her out... ??? ....

You know, "why do I have to move out??"

"My fiance is moving in."

Old 01-04-2012, 10:27 AM

168 posts, read 338,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
It just sounds way too "iffy" and I wouldn't chance it. Perhaps you could ask your LL to let you go month to month if you're SURE he will eventually get her out. It depends on what "fall-back" you could have if you give up your apt only to find out you have no where to move.

Unfortunately, landlord wants to know by the end of this month if I plan to renew my lease. If so, then I have to sign for a whole year. If not, then I have to start looking for a new place because they don't allow month-to-month or lease extensions. Last time I moved, I ended up paying rent in two places for a couple of months because of the lease overlap .

If my fiance didn't make it seem like he's putting his goddaughter out so I can move in, I wouldn't feel so guilty. He could have just said her time is up. Then I would look forward to saving money to put toward something nice.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:30 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
I would renew. I grew up in NYC and have lived there as an adult, so I'm well aware of the rental market. You know how much of a pain it would be to find another place if things didn't work out with your fiance, and you also know how expensive it is to move, so it's not very likely that someone who is out of work and apparently unmotivated to move is actually going to find a place anytime soon.

I don't understand why you feel guilty. You are planning to marry this man? It's not unreasonable that you two would want to share a household.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:31 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutequeenslady View Post
Unfortunately, landlord wants to know by the end of this month if I plan to renew my lease. If so, then I have to sign for a whole year. If not, then I have to start looking for a new place because they don't allow month-to-month or lease extensions. Last time I moved, I ended up paying rent in two places for a couple of months because of the lease overlap .

If my fiance didn't make it seem like he's putting his goddaughter out so I can move in, I wouldn't feel so guilty. He could have just said her time is up. Then I would look forward to saving money to put toward something nice.
You're much better off renewing a lease or taking a new lease in a new place on your own, if you really want a change.

If you don't move in, he will get over it.

But, if you move in and Godfather and Goddaughter ride on you like you are a Godcamel, then you will have a real good jolly ride.

Do you wannabe a camel or do you wanna swim free in your own fishbowl? Your choices, senorita

Old 01-04-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I am starting to wonder if this is some elaborate scheme to cover up their relationship? Do you think this could even remotely be the case?

If not, then it most certainly is a strange situation. Is the god daughter of similar age to your fiancee? What is the age gap? Have you confirmed 100% that this is his goddaughter? Maybe shes a sugar baby and now that he found you he wants her out?
Goddaughter is 18 years his junior. He was good friends with her father, who is now deceased. I have met her boyfriend and her mother and other family members when we visited her family out of state. They all welcomed me as her godfather's fiancee.

I don't know much about the sugar baby dynamic but I think her having a boyfriend pretty much cancels that out. Also, he doesn't have much money so I think that rules out him being her sugar daddy. She is not much younger than me but acts like a teenager in many ways. But at the same time, she has been married and has been around quite a bit so she's not a kid. Trust me, I have tried to figure this thing out but I haven't found any evidence of foul play - just evidence of weirdness.

Last edited by cutequeenslady; 01-04-2012 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: tidbit

Old 01-04-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
This is your fiance who lives in the same city as you but you "visit" him? How well do you actually know him?

He is my fiance so of course I know him well. We just don't live in the same apartment so I say visit because I don't live with him yet.

Last edited by cutequeenslady; 01-04-2012 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 01-04-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I would renew. I grew up in NYC and have lived there as an adult, so I'm well aware of the rental market. You know how much of a pain it would be to find another place if things didn't work out with your fiance, and you also know how expensive it is to move, so it's not very likely that someone who is out of work and apparently unmotivated to move is actually going to find a place anytime soon.

I don't understand why you feel guilty. You are planning to marry this man? It's not unreasonable that you two would want to share a household.

Well, if things don't work out with my fiance (worst case scenario), I would just go back to Queens and find a new apartment alone like I have now). Not the hardest thing in the world. Neighborhoods like forest hills, kew gardens, fresh meadows, jamaica estates are doable - not like living in Manhattan.

In the case of the goddaughter, she would be renting a room month-to-month in the Bronx (probably about $125 a week) - also not the hardest thing in the world. But if he asks her for rent for the next few months until I move in, I doubt she will want to leave.

And yes, we are planning to get married in the fall. Right now I have a junior 2 br that costs $1525 and will go up to $1550. He has a studio that is $825.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:01 PM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutequeenslady View Post
Goddaughter is 18 years his junior. He was good friends with her father, who is now deceased. I have met her boyfriend and her mother and other family members when we visited her family out of state. They all welcomed me as her godfather's fiancee.

I don't know much about the sugar baby dynamic but I think her having a boyfriend pretty much cancels that out. Also, he doesn't have much money so I think that rules out him being her sugar daddy. She is not much younger than me but acts like a teenager in many ways. But at the same time, she has been married and has been around quite a bit so she's not a kid. Trust me, I have tried to figure this thing out but I haven't found any evidence of foul play - just evidence of weirdness.
Ok, yea that is strange. But at least I feel more comfortable with knowing that there is no foul play. It sounds to me like the god daughter has some issues that she needs to figure out on her own. By that I mean, without your fiances help. He needs to let her out from under his wing. Anyway, dont feel bad about him kicking her out for you. She is too old to be living with him still.

Also, who cares if your the excuse! Its better that she hate you and blame you then for her to blame your fiance, right? At least thats how I look at it. I would happily jump on the grenade for a S.O if it meant that one of us had to be the bad guy towards family.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Ok, yea that is strange. But at least I feel more comfortable with knowing that there is no foul play. It sounds to me like the god daughter has some issues that she needs to figure out on her own. By that I mean, without your fiances help. He needs to let her out from under his wing. Anyway, dont feel bad about him kicking her out for you. She is too old to be living with him still.

Also, who cares if your the excuse! Its better that she hate you and blame you then for her to blame your fiance, right? At least thats how I look at it. I would happily jump on the grenade for a S.O if it meant that one of us had to be the bad guy towards family.

The thing about them is that she is not his real family. I mean I could see her being really close to a godmother like that. But even so, she's 31. And he doesn't act like this with his blood relatives. He seems to have no problem distancing himself from them. So strange.

I guess I didn't want to be the excuse because there is already so much tension between me and the goddaughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships