Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 03:06 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,358,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutequeenslady View Post
So here is what happened. I have gone through different stages during the 3+ years I have been on facebook. First stage: and accept invitations from people I recognize even if we aren't close. Second stage: delete people on my list that I am not actually close to or related to (including coworkers I don't want in my business). Third stage: use facebook to stay in touch with family & friends, promote social causes, and play Cityville.

Cityville is a game my fiance introduced me to on Facebook. We both love it and play daily. In order to be successful at playing the game, you need lots of neighbors in your "city" but you first have to be friends with them on facebook. Facebook suggests friends for me who play cityville. I send friend requests and immediately add them to my "cityville" list, which restricts the amount of personal information they see to only what would show up in a google search. I have no interest in fellow gamers' personal lives nor they in mine. I was haphazardly adding people, trying to keep a game going and mistakenly friended someone who does not play cityville. She sent me an email asking if she knows me. When I tried to reply that I mistakenly sent her a friend request and to just ignore it, I found she had blocked me. I shrugged my shoulders and went on playing cityville.

The next day, my fiance asked me why I sent a friend request to his friend "Mary." Mind you, since the woman had blocked me, when I tried to click on her name I couldn't see her profile at all. I told him that I did get an email from Mary and explained the whole cityville mixup. Apparently, Mary not only blocked me but sent my fiance a 3-paragraph email saying she had received a friend request from his fiance (his facebook profile shows us as engaged) and that it was in poor taste and that she doesn't want any drama with his girlfriend. He wrote her back and told her that I was just looking for fellow cityville players and she responded that this seemed suspect as she does not play and if she did it would be clearly marked on her profile. She also said she would delete my fiance because she didn't want to be in any drama.

I told my fiance that I am not completely blameless because I should have paid more attention to who I was friending. However, I thought his friend's response was paranoid and definitely overkill. First of all, if I was looking for foul play, it wouldn't be through facebook since my SO and I are linked as being engaged. Second, her profile (which I saw later while looking over SOs shoulder), is linked to her husband's profile. Third, if she didn't want to accept my friend request, she didn't have to. The blocking and the longwinded email exchange were not necessary. Fourth, if I was really interested in finding out about her (which I am not), it would not be necessary to add her as a friend. Fifth, why did she assume there was drama? Perhaps she has had issues and assumes the worst.
lol, you fiancee and you should have had a long laugh at the expense of that stupid lady. Talk about a bloated ego...hahahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 04:52 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutequeenslady View Post
I have a hypothetical question for facebook users in relationships (married, dating, etc.):

So let's say you are married and have a friend of the opposite sex. You two are not best friends or anything but you have mutual friends and stay connected via facebook. You are married, and the friendship is purely platonic. One day you get a friend request from the friend's signicant other. You have never met the significant other but see from the profile that they are in a relationship with your friend.

Do you accept since the person is associated with your friend? Block the significant other since you don't know them? Ignore the request? Would you think it is strange? Would you care or not care?

What would you do and why?

I am asking the question this way because I want to get opinions on this matter. I purposely excluded background info because the person getting the friend request doesn't have any; all they have is the friend request. Put yourself in that person's shoes. I will explain later. I guess you will have to subscribe to the thread to get updates and hear the whole story.
Well, maybe they play farmville or baking life and want to add you as a neighbor in the game. If you are the one requesting a friend, what is your true agenda??

Old 01-11-2012, 05:02 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
OP, this is all way too much drama for a silly thing like friending someone for a game, they don't play..so they blocked your interactions.....not wanting all that never ending game spam. Big deal. If everything is taken to this length in your relationship you both will be burnt out in months. Just ignore, go about your business, and your fiance should just ignore the unnecessary email. You will never be able to handle real life problems if you let this type thing encompass you to this degree. Take things easier for your own sake. Some people are just difficult, let them be that way.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:48 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
I think her reaction is overdramatic. I have quite a few friends I've never met in person, but they have been online friends for years (from a couple different message boards). I had the SO of one of my female friends send me a friend request and I accepted. I've never met him and don't interact a lot, but I enjoy keeping in touch with both of them. We are all dog people and they do search and rescue with their bloodhound, which I think is cool. It's not a big deal.

Just because I've never met these people in person doesn't mean they aren't friends. Over the years we have been there for each other. There have been deaths, loss of homes and animals to fire, hurricanes, disease, etc and whenever support is needed, we all step up.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I'm very picky with who's on my FB. I get many requests from friends of friends but deny them all. I don't need any more retards knowing my personal business

Old 01-11-2012, 07:31 PM

663 posts, read 1,082,019 times
My HS boyfriend friended me ages ago. His wife who I have only met a few times friended me shortly thereafter. I don't care and accepted the request. She seems like a fine person. I think she may have been a little insecure because of her MIL saying some not-so-nice things about and to her ages ago, before they were married. I rarely interact with my ex on FB and I believe no one cares one way or the other anymore. No biggie.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Does that person want to be a facebook friend to the one who asked? How much simpler can it be?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:13 AM

168 posts, read 338,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
OP, this is all way too much drama for a silly thing like friending someone for a game, they don't play..so they blocked your interactions.....not wanting all that never ending game spam. Big deal. If everything is taken to this length in your relationship you both will be burnt out in months. Just ignore, go about your business, and your fiance should just ignore the unnecessary email. You will never be able to handle real life problems if you let this type thing encompass you to this degree. Take things easier for your own sake. Some people are just difficult, let them be that way.
I was just asking opinions because I wanted to know if others thought the friend's response was appropriate. My fiance didn't ignore the email; if he hadn't there would be no need for me to ask for opinions. I handle real life problems just fine and don't think this has "encompassed" me. Just asking for opinions. Please do not make assumptions about me, my life, or my relationship. If you think my question is petty, you can just ignore it. No need to let it encompass you.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 AM

168 posts, read 338,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Well, maybe they play farmville or baking life and want to add you as a neighbor in the game. If you are the one requesting a friend, what is your true agenda??

My question was simply how people would respond to a friend request from someone they don't know upon realizing that the friend request is from the significant other of a friend. Very simple. I explained my "agenda" in a subsequent post and most agreed with me that the friend's response was overkill. That was all I was asking.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:49 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
LOL...spy on her...like she is so important. HAHAHHA! Guess she forgot her meds that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships