Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:25 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,939,495 times

Advertisements

Do you find your SO's friends appalling? Are they so different from you in lifestyle and values that you wish your SO would just drop them and you don't understand why he or she still spends time with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 01:05 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
Find out what they have to offer to you.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:53 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,072,619 times
There's too many variables to make a decision unless I was in that specific scenario and even then, if you were too, the choice may be different.

For example:
If they're lifelong friends that are just very different, too bad for you.
If they're friends that SO doesn't really like, what does that say about SO? Weak? Pushover? Doormat? Insecure? Needy?
If they're friends that SO does like and has a lot in common with, what does that say about you or your relationship?

Old 08-23-2013, 06:33 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,998,411 times
I'm not really friends with his friends and he knows I'm not close to them and don't like some of them but I would never tell him to drop them simply because I know he enjoys their company and that to ask him to drop his friends simply because i dont like them is controlling and unfair. I wouldn't want him to ask me to drop my friends either. But we talk about our feelings and I share my perception on them. Lol I'm a good reader so I'm usually right lol

Old 08-23-2013, 07:29 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times
I've heard before that you can tell a lot about a person by the company they keep. In my life I have noticed it with my ex and my SO. My SO's friends are awesome. My ex-husband's friends, not so much. I would call them tolerable, but not my cup of tea at all.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:08 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,644,348 times
What if a guy does not have any friends but a lot of acquaintances ? I got cut all my friends off because they where becoming a cancer and holding me back. If I wanted to be happy and successful I had to leave my loser friends in the dust.

I can make friends sure but it is hard when your all most 30 years old . On top of finding good friends is hard now days.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:27 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
I don't think it would occur to me to police my SO's friends. I'd never date anyone who would tolerate someone treating me disrespectfully, and I wouldn't date someone who was easily led. I'm interested in adults who can manage their own relationships just fine.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:33 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
my wife is a big girl with much of the same values as i
she isnt friends with any overly appalling people, and if they did have some form of appalling behaviors...she would make it clear that those are not appropriate around her, as would i.

as far as being friends with my SO's friends? i can find a common ground with just about everyone regardless of their outlooks. we just don't focus on the things we both find mutually unappealing about the other and behave like normal people would.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:58 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,961,568 times
It's their friend.

I'm not the judge. If its bad they will figure it out.

No sense trying to break up their friendship for your own sake.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
I tend to be opposed to "friends" who treat a person like crap, but my fiance doesn't really have any of those. He does have one acquaintance who tends to use people...she calls only when she needs a favor (going out of town for work, needs a last minute dog sitter for a week...it snowed, she has no snow blower, could you please come snowblow her driveway), and otherwise, you don't hear from her. But I wouldn't call them friends, and he's been better about drawing boundary lines with her since we've been together. Most of my fiance's friends are either super cool, or people I feel neutral about. There aren't any who drive me nuts. I would rather be with a guy who does have some healthy friendships, even if they're with people who I wouldn't necessarily choose as my BFFS than with somebody who isn't very adept at forming friendship bonds, overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships