Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:22 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Nothing, that's the thing. If it doesn't bother him it is no big deal at all and there's no issues. That however, would eat away at me.
I buy his animal products. I cook things he likes (as I said, he likes vegetables too, as much as he likes other things). I obviously let him eat whatever he wants.

I don't see a problem here. Maybe I'm not doing what you think I should be doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Only when we're both eating the same thing. (He loves vegetables by the way)
Afraid I'm totally confused.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Afraid I'm totally confused.
The point is that I don't think I'm being unfair or disrespectful of his choices at all. I truly respect his decision to cook and eat whatever he wants, and he does exactly that. I do the shopping, except on Saturdays, as I have a much better work schedule (I'm self-employed and I usually work from home, while he leaves very early for work -I work longer hours though-). If he needs help slicing or grilling vegetables, making sauces, etc, to go with the meat he's cooking for himself, I'll gladly lend a hand. I'll even preheat the oven, heat the oil, boil the water... It's not like I'm making it unnecessarily difficult for him.

This morning I bought, on request and among other things, sardines, yogurt, tuna cans and also chicken breast for his dinner or for tomorrow's lunch. It's not always like this: about 3-4 days a week he favours an ovolactovegetarian nutrition. And lots of fruit. But that's him, not me.

His exclusively-for-him lunch today has been rice with sardines and tomato sauce. I made lentil soup and tofu for me, a salad for us both, I cooked the rice (I made the tomato sauce last week) and when he arrived he fried the couple of sardines I had bought. For breakfast, before leaving home, he ate fruit as always and then at work he had yogurt and some of the chocolate&orange cookies that I baked yesterday. I don't eat them (I'm punishing myself on a diet, again lol): I bake them for him because he loves them. Same with cakes and all. Yes, they're all vegan but nobody notices until I tell them.

Therefore no, he hasn't given up eating what he likes. He can eat anything, even though I won't cook everything. Most fish, I wouldn't even know how to! He can cook all sorts of things and he does it very well. He's the better cook, actually. I'm the better dish-washer

There are extenuating circumstances that would made me cook anything for him, like what if he's sick or lacking nutrients, he needs animal protein and he can't or simply won't cook (too sick, too tired, depressed, not motivated, not helping himself... )? Then, needless to say, I'd be there for him. I'd even hunt the animal with a bow and arrows! Well, maybe not But, generally speaking, my currently contributing only the vegetarian aspect of his nutrition is not a problem because 1) I strive to keep it fun, tasty and nutritionally balanced, 2) I avoid ingredients I know he doesn't like, 3) far from hating vegetables as a whole, he likes them very much.

Mediterranean food has plenty of vegetable-based meals and he's used to that. Even when he's cooking for himself, sometimes he chooses -for instance- my homemade veggie burgers over his steaks and he leaves them for the following day, or they end up in the freezer.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:04 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,409 times
Quote:
I'm a strict vegetarian and my SO is an omnivorous bastard lol

I have many books on animal rights, vegan cook books, etc. He knows where they are so it's up to him! Yes, I briefly, and politely, tried to talk him into quitting meat but he wouldn't so... I respect his choice.

When I cook for both of us or for him, I won't use animal products as a matter of principle but I always try to come up with delicious courses so he won't miss anything. I know what he likes so it's easy. When he cooks for both of us, he won't use animal products either.

So, in our case, we're compatible because there's mutual respect. I don't care what he eats if it's not damaging his health.
the implication is that you have a strong opinion on these matters and that your SO is just going along to get along

Old 02-01-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
the implication is that you have a strong opinion on these matters and that your SO is just going along to get along
Nah, he's never even picked one of them up to see what the cover looks like

I merely meant that there's no need for indoctrination. He's a grown man, he has his own ideas and preferences (politically, we have our disagreements of course) and I love him just as he is.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:13 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
I'm a strict vegetarian and my SO is an omnivorous bastard lol

I have many books on animal rights, vegan cook books, etc. He knows where they are so it's up to him! Yes, I briefly, and politely, tried to talk him into quitting meat but he wouldn't so... I respect his choice.

When I cook for both of us or for him, I won't use animal products as a matter of principle but I always try to come up with delicious courses so he won't miss anything. I know what he likes so it's easy. When he cooks for both of us, he won't use animal products either.

So, in our case, we're compatible because there's mutual respect. I don't care what he eats if it's not damaging his health.
Quote:
The point is that I don't think I'm being unfair or disrespectful of his choices at all. I truly respect his decision to cook and eat whatever he wants, and he does exactly that. I do the shopping, except on Saturdays, as I have a much better work schedule (I'm self-employed and I usually work from home, while he leaves very early for work -I work longer hours though-). If he needs help slicing or grilling vegetables, making sauces, etc, to go with the meat he's cooking for himself, I'll gladly lend a hand. I'll even preheat the oven, heat the oil, boil the water... It's not like I'm making it unnecessarily difficult for him.
I missed something the first time (for both of us) - that's why I was confused. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:26 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times
I had a friend who was a "fruitarian," so she only ate fruit. Period. It was impossible to go to a restaurant with her. She would attempt to order a fruit drink but she had these really odd rules even regarding the particular kinds of fruits.
So personally, it became annoying to be around her. I guess I tolerated it because we were friends and not lovers.
If I dated someone who ate like that, well...I wouldn't.

Go meat!

Old 02-01-2012, 10:31 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I had a friend who was a "fruitarian," so she only ate fruit. Period. It was impossible to go to a restaurant with her. She would attempt to order a fruit drink but she had these really odd rules even regarding the particular kinds of fruits.
So personally, it became annoying to be around her. I guess I tolerated it because we were friends and not lovers.
If I dated someone who ate like that, well...I wouldn't.

Go meat!
I'm surprised humans can survive on a fruit-only diet.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:50 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm surprised humans can survive on a fruit-only diet.
that's just it...we can't survive on such a diet, we are omnivores, we werent designed to eat only fruit.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:02 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I wouldn't take that as any great indication. Many, many people eat healthful food as a general rule, but indulge once a week, when they're out at a restaurant. Big picture trumps one-shot meal.
True. The fact that I am even out with her says that she at least fit the bill of what I go for physically. Its just that if on a first date she orders up a bunch of unhealthy fattening bad food, she would just be put in the "I'll bang you but you have no chance of ever being in a relationship with me" category unless she redeems herself on subsequent dates (if I decide to continue with her).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships