Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 07:42 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times

Advertisements

I need kind yet frank opinions from married and single men and women.

So, my BF and I have been together for almost a year. We have a history that dates back to our teens and we are now in our mid 20s.

He is a big football fan and had no established plans for the superbowl a few days ago. So I invited him to join me,my friend and her sisters friends as we were going to a bar that is in a very nice area, and thought he would want to come.

He declined and just said "I don't think that's a good idea" "I don't want you to see how I get when I watch football, I get really into the game" he always says that about games and I always say "I WANT to see you that way, I think it would be cute".

Anyways, it bothers me because I know groups watch the superbowl with equal parts male and female. I almost feel excluded, does he not want to bring me around his friends? I could imagine him at a superbowl party with all of his buddies their w/there girlfriends and female friends, I should be there too or at least have the option to be. The superbowl here in New England is a big deal and everyone gets into it.

I feel like most women's boyfriends probably drag them out to superbowl parties, while my boyfriend is quiet and nonvocal almost furtive about his plans.

I have had many male friends, and I don't think they would exclude me like this, I almost feel like a 2nd-tier buddy.

Do I have a right to be mad, I've been pissed since yesterday.

How would you handle this situation?

Old 02-06-2012, 07:46 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
I think it sounds weird. MY BF and I always watch the Superbowl together, either at home or at a party. In fact, every Superbowl that I was dating someone, we would watch it together.

Makes me wonder about the guy.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Feelings aren't right or wrong, so feel whatever you want - but it does seem kind of silly to me.

Sounds like the man is passionate about football. He probably wanted to watch the game in a different way than the casual observer would watch it.

A guy like him wants to follow all the commentary and not miss a word of what is being said.

He wants to dissect the plays with fellow aficionado's, not the people who use the game as an excuse to party.

Having a girlfriend who may not be as passionate about football watch the game with him would be a huge distraction to a real fan.

Don't take this personally and ruin your relationship over it.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:50 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I need kind yet frank opinions from married and single men and women.

So, my BF and I have been together for almost a year. We have a history that dates back to our teens and we are now in our mid 20s.

He is a big football fan and had no established plans for the superbowl a few days ago. So I invited him to join me,my friend and her sisters friends as we were going to a bar that is in a very nice area, and thought he would want to come.

He declined and just said "I don't think that's a good idea" "I don't want you to see how I get when I watch football, I get really into the game" he always says that about games and I always say "I WANT to see you that way, I think it would be cute".

Anyways, it bothers me because I know groups watch the superbowl with equal parts male and female. I almost feel excluded, does he not want to bring me around his friends? I could imagine him at a superbowl party with all of his buddies their w/there girlfriends and female friends, I should be there too or at least have the option to be. The superbowl here in New England is a big deal and everyone gets into it.

I feel like most women's boyfriends probably drag them out to superbowl parties, while my boyfriend is quiet and nonvocal almost furtive about his plans.

I have had many male friends, and I don't think they would exclude me like this, I almost feel like a 2nd-tier buddy.

Do I have a right to be mad, I've been pissed since yesterday.

How would you handle this situation?
No I don't think you have a right to be mad. If he is passionate about his football and Patriots you would have seen some ugly side of him yesterday. If he is anything like me and my Panthers, sailors would have blushed at some stuff he said. He probably did you a favor.

BTW I hate the Patriots.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Nah, you don't have a right to be mad here. If a guy wants to watch a football game, he usually wants to be with his buddies so he can shout and cheer. I am near positive that if he went out with your sister and friend, and he got all drunk and started shouting at the TV you'd be on here posting if its ok for you to be upset with your boyfriend and his "rude behavior".

Old 02-06-2012, 07:52 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
What did he do for the superbowl?
If he went to a superbowl party then you have a legitimate gripe.
If he watched the game in seclusion he may be the type who gets waaaayyyy too involved into the game and he's serving you fair warning.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:53 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Maybe he yells at the TV, feels more comfortable at home, and doesn't want to show what's in store for you long term. My Dad, RIP, used to yell at soccer games.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:00 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Nah, you don't have a right to be mad here. If a guy wants to watch a football game, he usually wants to be with his buddies so he can shout and cheer. I am near positive that if he went out with your sister and friend, and he got all drunk and started shouting at the TV you'd be on here posting if its ok for you to be upset with your boyfriend and his "rude behavior".
Exactly. My hubby watches football without me all the time (I have NO interest in it), and it doesn't bother me a bit.

What did he do, you didn't tell us? I can't comment any further until I know.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
He didn't tell me. He called me during half time and I didn't answer. We spoke today and I chose not to ask.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
He didn't tell me. He called me during half time and I didn't answer. We spoke today and I chose not to ask.

I'm telling you, let this one go..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.