Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 03:20 PM

86 posts, read 222,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
that's strange.

For me, I run into women all the time that describe themselves as "independent." They rarely are.

Women who are independent, do not seem to describe themselves as such.

it's similar to the women who say they "Don't want drama"... those are the ones who want drama. Or if they say they "Don't want sex," that means they've been around the block a few dozen times. Not only can you not take anyone's self-identification at face value, but it is often the polar opposite of what they really are.
Nice observation. I wonder if there's a psych term for this. The attempt to cover actual short comings with verbal camouflage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 03:40 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,776,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
I have to say these comments intrigued me - do people really have that blind of an eye that they can't see who they are for who they are...for instance, the ones who say they hate drama are the drama queens, and the ones who say they are independent can't even support themselves? Maybe I haven't taken notice since I really take self-identifiers with a grain of salt, and believe in actions over words?
yes, they really do.

i suspect that women who are truly independent know from experience that it isn't an unalloyed blessing, it isn't a virtue, and it isn't something to brag about. they know that it comes with problems and challenges.

so when i see "I'm an independent woman," I take that to mean, "I fancy myself to be an independent woman; I need this fantasy, and I am in search of a man who will be complicit in helping me maintain it."

Old 02-22-2012, 03:41 PM

865 posts, read 1,491,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang1 View Post
Nice observation. I wonder if there's a psych term for this. The attempt to cover actual short comings with verbal camouflage.
denial?

Old 02-22-2012, 06:41 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,408,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang1 View Post
It's the same as how you'll hear some women proclaim that they're a "b*tch" as if it's a badge of honour, as if treating others like crap to make yourself look good is anything to be proud of.

It's a major turnoff IMO. A woman can be 10/10 fit, but the minute the b*tch hat comes on, she becomes ugly to me and I want no part of any discussion with her. It's the same as men who feel the need to proclaim their toughness and act macho.

Why can't people just be themselves? It's insecurity.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:38 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,079,471 times
I remember when I was on atlantic city a year ago and at a nightclub I saw a guy crying over his friends shoulder saying he hates independent women. Man I wanted buy this guy a drink to cheer him up. I wantef to say the samething for the past few years, however could not muster the power to say that phrase.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:42 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,784,671 times
Turn off but any woman who takes care of themselves fully has it pretty tough, especially single moms so if don't bash them but the independent mentality is destroying the dating scene. It's very disturbing

Old 02-24-2012, 11:14 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,809,416 times
Independent Woman- Cool

Independent Woman who reminds me every 30 seconds she is independent and does not need me to survive- Not Cool

Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,122,047 times
I'd rather be independent than have a relationship based on dependency. Being indepedent is a life style, it's something I do for myself. I pay my own bills, have my own friends and hobbies, etc. It doesn't mean I'm not a caring partner in a relationship. There's a differerence between independent and selfish.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:14 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,408,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I'd rather be independent than have a relationship based on dependency. Being indepedent is a life style, it's something I do for myself. I pay my own bills, have my own friends and hobbies, etc. It doesn't mean I'm not a caring partner in a relationship. There's a differerence between independent and selfish.
Isn't all of the above just part of being an adult?

Old 02-25-2012, 05:28 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,502,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post

I did my cost-benefit analysis and if there is nobody but independent women out there, I'd rather be alone, enough of abuse is enough, stupid no more.
The woman you descibed was not an independent woman. Why are you calling her that?

[anyway, the problem is solved]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships