Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:03 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times

Advertisements

There's been very negative stereotyping all over CD for a long time. I just think that people (in general) have a hard time thinking critically and with an open mind - not that I'm the embodiment of that but I try. People have this... resistance to challenge their own thinking but have no problem at all challenging others whose ideologies are different from their own. I just think it's part of the human condition - always has been and always will be.

Personally, I just don't take the bait anymore and ignore them. It's not worth getting into a verbal sparing match with one dimensional people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
There's been very negative stereotyping all over CD for a long time. I just think that people (in general) have a hard time thinking critically and with an open mind - not that I'm the embodiment of that but I try. People have this... resistance to challenge their own thinking but have no problem at all challenging others whose ideologies are different from their own. I just think it's part of the human condition - always has been and always will be.

Personally, I just don't take the bait anymore and ignore them. It's not worth getting into a verbal sparing match with one dimensional people.
My MO these days is to triage every situation

Sometimes you can save some of these folks from themselves, and sometimes you have to know when they are too far gone and move on to those you really can help

Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My MO these days is to triage every situation

Sometimes you can save some of these folks from themselves, and sometimes you have to know when they are too far gone and move on to those you really can help
Oh you're a better person than I am Mountain. I just see people who stereotype people as a source of entertainment and rarely worth engaging with. I am thoroughly amused by the thinking that goes on out there... that's why I keep coming back to this miserable place that is CD.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:27 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post

I agree with this, and I also think it stems from basic insecurity and, especially for the younger ones, a fundamental discomfort with the demands and expectations of growing up and becoming emotionally mature.

You see it especially with people who refer to themselves and others as "males" or "females," thereby avoiding having to use the term "man" or "woman." They do not feel comfortable assuming adult labels because they know that inside they feel like children who are playacting as grownups, but do not feel secure enough to start wearing grownup clothes.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:09 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times
On sites like these you have a lot of biter disenchanted people whove been burned or ignored by the opposite sex..

Not too many people come to forums like these because dealings with the opposite sex have worked out great for them.. its usually the opposite..

Last edited by JBT1980; 02-20-2012 at 12:27 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 12:26 PM

297 posts, read 726,505 times
TV and movies are the problem!

I knew a lady who would have some sort of personal problem and she would come cry on my shoulder. We would talk about it. And sometimes I might explain things or make a suggestion...

...then she would suddenly "understand perfectly". She would say "Oh I saw that in such and so movie. This person was doing this and then did that and the problem was solved!"

I tried to point out to her that TV is make believe fantasy and has nothing to do with REAL life...

Old 02-20-2012, 12:33 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I agree, the stereotypical posts are ubiquitous (and often amusing). My take is that this Board has a preponderance of young people who can't get dates, can't get laid and become disillusioned, bitter and then decide no one else can ever be in love or be happy because they haven't been fortunate to experience it.

So many here don't believe in love, don't think anyone can be monogamous, don't think anyone who is married ever has sex (or has lousy sex), or have a lot of other very negative viewpoints.

The worst threads have got to be when someone posts a picture of themselves and asks, "Would you date me?" Or the constant, "What do women (or men) REALLY want?" It's very mysterious why anyone that's an adult would ask such questions when they should have figured out around the age of 12 that the answers will be all over the map.

Still it's entertaining and sometimes sad to see such a jaundiced view of relationships. I don't see this with people over 35 or so, I assume a lot of the stuff here is definitely generational.
Took the words right out of my keyboard. Thanks for saving me the time.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:51 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I agree, the stereotypical posts are ubiquitous (and often amusing). My take is that this Board has a preponderance of young people who can't get dates, can't get laid and become disillusioned, bitter and then decide no one else can ever be in love or be happy because they haven't been fortunate to experience it.

So many here don't believe in love, don't think anyone can be monogamous, don't think anyone who is married ever has sex (or has lousy sex), or have a lot of other very negative viewpoints.

The worst threads have got to be when someone posts a picture of themselves and asks, "Would you date me?" Or the constant, "What do women (or men) REALLY want?" It's very mysterious why anyone that's an adult would ask such questions when they should have figured out around the age of 12 that the answers will be all over the map.

Still it's entertaining and sometimes sad to see such a jaundiced view of relationships. I don't see this with people over 35 or so, I assume a lot of the stuff here is definitely generational.
I completely agree.

I simply don't see people over 35 acting like the people on here. Age, wisdom and experience are awesome things

Old 02-20-2012, 12:54 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I completely agree.

I simply don't see people over 35 acting like the people on here. Age, wisdom and experience are awesome things
Phew - I guess I just made the cut off! Oh wait... I'm exactly 35 so I'm not over 35 - did I miss it? Shoot...

Old 02-20-2012, 01:06 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Phew - I guess I just made the cut off! Oh wait... I'm exactly 35 so I'm not over 35 - did I miss it? Shoot...
You just scraped in by the seat of your hotpants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships