Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,894,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Fourth, politics is about 2% of a person. You file into a voting booth every other year and choose political candidates based on what you feel. If you allow that 2% of your life to color your opinion of everyone else on the planet, then you really, seriously need to get a life.
You make good points, but what if one is against abortion, gay marriage or some other hot button issue and marries a person who is for it? There will be conflicts in how to raise the children. Few people are open-minded enough to allow both views and let the kids decide.

At the end of the day I agree with you, but that's only because I'm tolerant enough to allow all views to be aired, as long as people aren't militant about me accepting theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:36 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,339,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
You make good points, but what if one is against abortion, gay marriage or some other hot button issue and marries a person who is for it? There will be conflicts in how to raise the children. Few people are open-minded enough to allow both views and let the kids decide.

At the end of the day I agree with you, but that's only because I'm tolerant enough to allow all views to be aired, as long as people aren't militant about me accepting theirs.
The conflict over child-rearing will not emerge just through politics, but from religious backgrounds, how they were personally raised, what television shows they watched, what culture they emerged from, and about 10,000,000 other factors.

Here's the thing. My wife and I don't agree on a lot of things from a political perspective. I think that if gays want to marry, then it's their absolute right, while my wife just isn't comfortable with that. Because I tend to look at things with more of a libertarian slant, she and I disagree on a ton of things. But while our political leanings can be remarkably different, the values that really matter are identical.

Besides. People who talk about politics all the time are really, really tedious people. Sure, it's important. But when someone treats it as blood sport, then they need their head examined.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:39 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,894,239 times
Quote:
The conflict over child-rearing will not emerge just through politics, but from religious backgrounds, how they were personally raised, what television shows they watched, what culture they emerged from, and about 10,000,000 other factors.

Here's the thing. My wife and I don't agree on a lot of things. I think that if gays want to marry, then it's their absolute right, while my wife just isn't comfortable with that. Because I tend to look at things with more of a libertarian slant, she and I disagree on a ton of things.
I'm glad you have found a way to coexist. I see the opposite with most people I encounter who have different political beliefs, which are typically tied to how they were raised, what they think about culture, TV, etc.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:45 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,056,212 times
Quote:
You know, unless the other person is a Nazi or some similar extremist, then ruling someone out because of a set of political beliefs is just, well, stupid.

First, by doing so, it means you have succumbed to a belief that, no matter what, you are right on all things at all times. What's more, political beliefs are so fragmented that it makes it impossible to find people who are fully aligned with yours. I mean, are you an economic conservative and a social liberal? Are you an economic liberal and a social conservative? Do you follow Keynesian, Monetarist, or Austrian economic thought? For example, I know liberals who are dead set against abortion, and conservatives who are for it.

Which leads to my second point. If you exclude people from your life in this way, then you are really guilty of the worst possible offense -- putting people into a box. It tells me you have a mechanistic, stereotypical view of people and will treat them accordingly, when people are really much, much more nuanced and complex than that.

Third, intelligent, conscientious, and considerate people can disagree based on their life experiences. Their perceptions are molded by lives lived in an extraordinarily complex world with many, many competing priorities. By demonizing people who disagree with your worldview, you are really telling the world that you are not interested in any opinion, knowledge, and experience that doesn't validate your own, no matter how thoughtfully that person's ideals were arrived at. That makes you a close-minded, one-dimensional person, regardless of how high you hold yourself in esteem.

Fourth, politics is about 2% of a person. You file into a voting booth every other year and choose political candidates based on what you feel. If you allow that 2% of your life to color your opinion of everyone else on the planet, then you really, seriously need to get a life.

I have friends from all walks of life and of all political persuasions. When we discuss the issues, we do so as a reasonable exchange of views and enjoy the back-and-forth. To me, I find that an enriching experience, rather than an aggravating one. Most mature adults would likely agree
Well I don't know I'd call it a worst possible offense but I agree, it's not a good thing. But I think it's more unfortunate for the one doing the alienating and excluding and says more about them than their target.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:15 AM

674 posts, read 1,164,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Well I don't know I'd call it a worst possible offense but I agree, it's not a good thing. But I think it's more unfortunate for the one doing the alienating and excluding and says more about them than their target.
Yeah, I mean rape and murder are like WAY worse that boxing them up.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:46 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,339,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
I'm glad you have found a way to coexist. I see the opposite with most people I encounter who have different political beliefs, which are typically tied to how they were raised, what they think about culture, TV, etc.

Thanks for sharing your story.
But here's the thing. Anytime one starts telling oneself, "People who believe differently than me are morally suspect and untrustworthy," then you are automatically guilty of moral vanity. Sorry. I have good friends who are on the totally opposite end of the political spectrum with me and, like my wife, we all get along.

The thing is this. If you are yapping about politics so much that it is getting in the way of your relationship, then you are the person with the problem, not the other party.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:58 PM

25,912 posts, read 16,638,818 times
You're not exactly a kid, but when I was under 30 I couldn't have cared less about a woman's politics

But now that I'm 50, if I was in the position of having to find someone I would have to be able to respect the woman and her beliefs I think.

If her politics were a certain way (I won't go there) I would never call her again.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:22 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,209,512 times
Not that I know of, but I tend to do the ruling out. There's just no point in me dating a conservative or religious person.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,004,460 times
Quote:
You know, unless the other person is a Nazi or some similar extremist, then ruling someone out because of a set of political beliefs is just, well, stupid.

First, by doing so, it means you have succumbed to a belief that, no matter what, you are right on all things at all times. What's more, political beliefs are so fragmented that it makes it impossible to find people who are fully aligned with yours. I mean, are you an economic conservative and a social liberal? Are you an economic liberal and a social conservative? Do you follow Keynesian, Monetarist, or Austrian economic thought? For example, I know liberals who are dead set against abortion, and conservatives who are for it.

Which leads to my second point. If you exclude people from your life in this way, then you are really guilty of the worst possible offense -- putting people into a box. It tells me you have a mechanistic, stereotypical view of people and will treat them accordingly, when people are really much, much more nuanced and complex than that.

Third, intelligent, conscientious, and considerate people can disagree based on their life experiences. Their perceptions are molded by lives lived in an extraordinarily complex world with many, many competing priorities. By demonizing people who disagree with your worldview, you are really telling the world that you are not interested in any opinion, knowledge, and experience that doesn't validate your own, no matter how thoughtfully that person's ideals were arrived at. That makes you a close-minded, one-dimensional person, regardless of how high you hold yourself in esteem.

I have friends from all walks of life and of all political persuasions. When we discuss the issues, we do so as a reasonable exchange of views and enjoy the back-and-forth. To me, I find that an enriching experience, rather than an aggravating one. Most mature adults would likely agree.

BINGO. Excellent post

When the young guys around here get to be closer to your age I sure hope they are even half as wise as you are

Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,375,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Rule out because of political beliefs? No. Rule out because of the way they handle their differences with others' political beliefs? Yes.
And how do you "handle" different political beliefs that basically color almost all other views of that person...? I'm not talking Republican/Democrat nonsense here. That's for the idiots who can't tell they're identical twins. But how can a thinking person possibly get along with somebody brainwashed into buying all the government propaganda?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships