Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Love 27 49.09%
Money 28 50.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:19 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times

Advertisements

Money buys WHATEVER you want period!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:46 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,786,642 times
Both

Old 02-21-2012, 09:51 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
Love.

You can find ways to take classes to get a degree that will help you earn more money along the way, which builds you as a person and strengthens the relationship.

You might struggle, but 2 people working towards a goal is a lot easier than 1.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:53 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Both
It didn't take long for the next very "original" response to this sort of threads to come in, either.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:49 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Love.

You can find ways to take classes to get a degree that will help you earn more money along the way, which builds you as a person and strengthens the relationship.

You might struggle, but 2 people working towards a goal is a lot easier than 1.
True, in real life. But in this make believe scenario the issue is that no matter what you do, you'll never earn enough to get any further than barely scraping by.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:15 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,665,751 times
I would take the 'everyday is like the first day' in love over any amount of money in the world!

There is nothing like that feeling of being in love, especially the first few weeks. We have all been there when you can't STOP thinking about your new love! Your not thinking about how much money you have in the bank, your not thinking about nice cars or houses or going out to eat at fancy restaurants... your thinking about the person your in love with. You often forget to eat.. you don't worry about the RENT or your job or even your next meal. Your simply thinking about the next time you get to see your love! Nothing better than that and no amount of money can purchase it!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:13 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
Neither...

but if I was forced to choose...money.
And my response kind of surprises me. I think I'm becomming jaded!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:24 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Quote:
You'll have food, but often not as much as would be ideal. All luxuries (internet, cable, eating out) are strictly out of the question
Since you put it like that - money.

But in general I'd rather have love.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:00 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
This is inspired by the title of another recent thread here, but this is different. Let's say you're given two options, and you must choose one. This will probably mostly apply to single people.

First option: You are suddenly given the perfect relationship with a person you love more than you ever thought possible. He/she is literally the perfect mate for you in every way conceivable. He/she sticks by you no matter what, and loves you unconditionally. However, you'll never, ever have much money in your entire life. No matter what job you manage to get, you'll, for whatever reason (magic?) always just barely scrape by each month. You won't starve, but you'll frequently be hungry but unable to afford enough food (without dipping into funds to pay the rent, lights, water, etc.). Notice I said "enough" food. You'll have food, but often not as much as would be ideal. All luxuries (internet, cable, eating out) are strictly out of the question. Still, your perfect partner sticks by you no matter what and your relationship remains wonderful regardless of finances, but money will always be a worry to you. You have the option of children, and your finances will be adjusted accordingly so that you get by, but just barely. You may or may not have friends, just as you would normally.

Second option: You have unlimited money, but without any of the potential down-sides this might bring. (I'm not sure what those downsides may be, I'm just trying to cover everything.) You can work if you want to, but it's not necessary. You can travel anywhere you want whenever you want, you can have a go at any hobby imaginable, you can use your money to help others, literally anything you can think of (legally) you have the funds to throw at it. Your only limit is your imagination. However, you'll never fall in love. You may casually date, but it never goes beyond that. If you want children you're certainly free to adopt or use a surrogate, but you'll never be married, never have any sort of life-partner. You may or may not have friends, just as you would normally.
The argument is flawed. You can always find a way to make more money, whether by going back to school, pursuing new opportunities, networking, and the like. But you'll never, ever be able to love someone if the spark isn't there in the first place.

Marriage is a tough enough proposition as it is without dragging low expectations into it.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:31 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The argument is flawed.
Whether it's flawed or not, that was the scenario presented to the public and the public keeps twisting it. I particularly like the "I want to have my cake and eat it, too" responses that never fail to appear on such threads. How creative! Geez, nobody else would ever think of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships