Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's a generational thing...

Anyway, when I was say 15 and still in high school, I had the image that girls liked boys the same way boys liked girls. I suppose I vaguely had the idea that men were supposed to be more horny, but I thought women were just as turned on by men as men were by women, at least in the physical sense. I thought that in the 2000s women were just as likely to ask men out as the usual. I think because in high school things are actually more equal in that sense. Like it seemed the girls were asking boys out just as much as the opposite, even though I didn't really know. Like, it wasn't unrealistic, I thought, in the 21st century that a man would expect women to pursue him.

Later on in life, of course, I discovered it wasn't so simple. That there are actually a lot of girls who never ask guys out. That a lot of women seem pretty apathetic about the whole thing. I also assumed women were turned on by the male body the same way I was about the female one - while that is still somewhat true, I didn't realise it was 'different.' I began to hear a lot of talk about how women were not as visual. I put two and two together - in the animal world females often seemed rather uninterested in sex, so was it any surprise?

It brought me 'down to earth' so to speak. I think all I was exposed to gave me somewhat of a false impression. I liked a few girls in high school but never had the balls to ask any out, despite the fact one even initiated talking to me a few times. They were the 'popular girls', though. In university things didn't change, so I was never really in the dating scene then either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 09:36 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Get some gumption and ask a girl out.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:41 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,446,284 times
I get the impression this is all from the mind of someone young, very inexperienced, with way too much time on their hands.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
When I read the title of the thread, I was thinking it was about something else. I think that they both base it on looks, but men tend to think about the physical dimension more, whereas women think about who it is that they will make their eggs available to...at a very primitive level. And I know that will p!$$ off some readers, but an article on the "science" of attraction in one of the main magazines (Time, Newsweek) purveyed this phenomenon.

Here's what I was thinking you were talking about - the "biological engineering" aspect. What I would usually see in Southern California is that a lot of blondes went for the "matador" type, though not necessarily Spanish or Hispanic. It was almost like a genetic engineering effort. What was funny is when their sons looked like freckle-faced kids from Middle America and their daughters looked like "matadors!"

Old 03-04-2012, 09:52 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
I thought it was about symmetry in the sense of the face. On the discovery channel it had more men and women who had a lined up face attracted more mates.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I thought it was about symmetry in the sense of the face. On the discovery channel it had more men and women who had a lined up face attracted more mates.
LOL. And all of the beautiful people had symmetrical feature, the golden ratio of hips to waist and full cheeks/younger looking faces.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:22 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,858,437 times
When you were a teenager, did you think that attraction was symmetrical?

It was either symmetrical - the cheerleader dating the jock - or very asymmetrical - wealthy scion dating the good looking girl.

Many guys used to think (with some justification) that they could work hard, make something of themselves and improve their prospects. This is no longer the case. Guys now have to work so long and have so few opportunities for real improvement that by the time that they could benefit, they have usually declined physically more than any other improvement could compensate for.

Such guys are just setting themselves up to have all their hard work and possessions taken from them in divorce court.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Such guys are just setting themselves up to have all their hard work and possessions taken from them in divorce court.
This is probably the number one reason that the marriage age has been delayed and fewer are buying in. When you see the rankings in a news article about the avoidance of marriage, financial consequences is on the list.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:47 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
This is probably the number one reason that the marriage age has been delayed and fewer are buying in. When you see the rankings in a news article about the avoidance of marriage, financial consequences is on the list.
You'd really have to be foolish to want to get married in California of all places. It's on par with signing up for serfdom.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:50 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,610,493 times
yer just jelly that teenage girls dont like you anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships