Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 01:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,423,021 times

Advertisements

I was sworn off of all relationships. I was the bitter, man hater, cynic, used to post all the time "just dump him"...my standard answer...for all relationship problems.

And then, it just sort of sneaked up on me...from a place I least suspected it. I really did not even like the guy I am with, thought he was sort of goofy. But we just did alot of the same things, and saw each other quite a bit, by accident...although now, I know he did "engineer" some of those meetings.

I guess, you just have to be open to what the universe has planned for you. Things happen for a reason. Believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 01:56 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,759,879 times
I've never met someone on purpose. They are always friends of friends or in the case of my SO, a random chance meeting of minds in a chat room.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:17 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,262,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I met my husband while I was engaged to someone else. I can say for certain that I was not looking!
Or maybe you subconsciously were...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I was sworn off of all relationships. I was the bitter, man hater, cynic, used to post all the time "just dump him"...my standard answer...for all relationship problems.

And then, it just sort of sneaked up on me...from a place I least suspected it. I really did not even like the guy I am with, thought he was sort of goofy. But we just did alot of the same things, and saw each other quite a bit, by accident...although now, I know he did "engineer" some of those meetings.

I guess, you just have to be open to what the universe has planned for you. Things happen for a reason. Believe.
I LOL every time I see your current posts because I do remember the old ones. Your relationship is very entertaining to me!

Old 03-06-2012, 02:36 PM

86 posts, read 99,455 times
All the women I've met over the years were like that. A shared college class, at work, etc.. We met and somehow just clicked. My favorite was a young woman who worked in the men's department of a local dept. store. I shop there for clothes. I guess she liked my choice of clothing because when I checked out we began talking and clicked. One time she actually blew off a customer to speak with me. It was obvious she was into me. This went on for about a year and every time I saw her we chatted but I never asked her out. I kept telling myself next time I would ask her. But next time never came and when last August came around she was gone. Par for the course for me as I never asked any of the others out either and so lost them as well. I have been an incredibly stupid man. So yeah when you are just going about your business it just happens like that.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:39 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,213,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Or maybe you subconsciously were...

I probably was subconsciously. I thought I was completely in love with my ex-fiance but I was kind of miserable. He was a wonderful guy but just really wrong for me. The heart wants what it wants.

24,645 posts, read 38,706,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidArizona View Post
I remember once outside a public library a pretty girl asking me to borrow my phone cuz her cell died. After she used it, I made a crack to the effect "should I delete your number from outgoing calls or start stalkerishly texting you", to which she replied she wouldn't mind talking to me and we exchanged names and chit chatted a bit, later got together. It was blind luck, her battery died, she was waiting on a ride, and I was the next schlemiel walking out of the building. I didn't really have some great swagger, or "lines" and wasn't particulary dressed up. Anybody else have similar anecdotes?
nah, ain't never been that lucky.

270 posts, read 410,201 times
I definitely wasn't looking when I met my last SO! My husband had died only 8 months before. I went to an out of town social function hosted by a guy who was a friend of my deceased husband. At that function, I met SO, who was a friend of the host AND had known my husband (through the host). We spent some time talking that night, and chatted a little via FB. Just very light & friendly. A few months later, we texted again about something, and that eventually turned into something more.

(Which, as you can predict from the circumstances & other posts, turned into something LESS later.)

Old 03-06-2012, 03:03 PM

86 posts, read 99,455 times
All the women I've met over the years were like that. A shared college class, at work, etc.. We met and somehow just clicked. My favorite was a young woman who worked in the men's department of a local dept. store. I shop there for clothes. I guess she liked my choice of clothing because when I checked out we began talking and clicked. One time she actually blew off a customer to speak with me. It was obvious she was into me. This went on for about a year and every time I saw her we chatted but I never asked her out. I kept telling myself next time I would ask her. But next time never came and when last August came around she was gone. Par for the course for me as I never asked any of the others out either and so lost them as well. I have been an incredibly stupid man. So yeah when you are just going about your business it just happens like that.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:16 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,919,029 times
What better way to meet...?

Many moons ago, after yet another break-up, I said I am finished with this dating stuff.

..did not go out with anyone for a solid six months. Then received an invitation to a Halloween party in a city 2 hrs away, so I went alone.

Across the room, there was this guy that caught my eye...a chance meeting...

After that night: we were a pair...for 22 yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidArizona View Post
I remember once outside a public library a pretty girl asking me to borrow my phone cuz her cell died. After she used it, I made a crack to the effect "should I delete your number from outgoing calls or start stalkerishly texting you", to which she replied she wouldn't mind talking to me and we exchanged names and chit chatted a bit, later got together. It was blind luck, her battery died, she was waiting on a ride, and I was the next schlemiel walking out of the building. I didn't really have some great swagger, or "lines" and wasn't particulary dressed up. Anybody else have similar anecdotes?

Old 03-06-2012, 03:25 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,771,035 times
That's the only way I ever met anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships