Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:10 PM

213 posts, read 1,108,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
We have greetings or conversations like those, that are just short and detached enough to acknowledge each others' existence as human beings travelling about our busy lives so as to not look totally aloof, but not long and involved enough to actually have to inconvenience each other, dig into personal detail or direct our paths astray too far.

They're social signals, for better or for worse that "I'm here" and "You're here" and our paths are crossing for a moment and I see that you're present.
Stumbler,

I understand. Good point. That makes great sense. And I had an idea as such, but it just seems so pointless and cold.

Nobody really wants to get to know anybody, They want to bounce around on the outskirts and ask only general questions to get by.

I know, for the most part it is just to avoid any awkward moments. I think.

But I def get what you are saying.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 09:27 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,785,484 times
Next time someone asks you that, just be honest and say "Look, I really don't like to be asked that", and then no one in the office will want to talk to you, and problem solved!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:39 PM

129 posts, read 246,815 times
Out of curiosity, what would you like people to say?

Old 03-08-2012, 05:56 AM

11,821 posts, read 12,072,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
We have greetings or conversations like those, that are just short and detached enough to acknowledge each others' existence as human beings travelling about our busy lives so as to not look totally aloof, but not long and involved enough to actually have to inconvenience each other, dig into personal detail or direct our paths astray too far.

They're social signals, for better or for worse that "I'm here" and "You're here" and our paths are crossing for a moment and I see that you're present, more than actual invitations to conversation a lot of the time (though that intent is there of course sometimes).
Great reply! I view "how are you" simply as an extension of hello or hi, a little more drawn out for people you are more familiar with, and gives the option for simple acknowledgement or conversation, depending on the situation and the individuals involved.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 AM

934 posts, read 1,942,058 times
Sounds like such a small thing to be annoyed about. Don't you have more pressing issues?

If this is the worst part of your day, I envy you.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:15 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
Does anyone have an issue with this?

You know the typical, everyday hey how are you greeting? Everyday?

I just kind of get sick of saying the same expected answer. The response always has to be....I'm good or doing great. Something positive obviously. It's such BS to me. It's pretentious chit chat. And I don't like it.

I know it is basic chit chat and just trying to make conversation I guess. Or people just don't know what else to say. But it gets old to me.

Is there anything else that I can say other than I'm doing great or I'm fantastic.

The problem that I have with it is that on most days, I'm not doing so great. So, i guess just to keep human relationships chill....I have to say something positive. Even if my tone may reflect something different. Which I feel is something I can't deny. I am how I am on any given day. Usually, it's never the expected answer. So sick of it.

IMO, I just get kind of sick of having to say I'm good all of the time.

Are there any alternatives?

Thank you for your responses in advance.
Hey, how's your wife?

Old 03-08-2012, 07:21 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,692,343 times
If you're not good say you're not good. I do.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:22 AM

2,468 posts, read 3,136,964 times
Quote:
Are there any alternatives?
How's your left little toe doing?

It's like Jim Carrey said in Truman's Show...
"Good morning, and in case I don't see ya: Good afternoon, good evening, and good night!"

Sometimes I feel like Billy Joel's song, "Honesty, such a lonely word. Everyone is so untrue."
And it seems like you don't want to go along with this little game.
You want to be more genuine.
I like the humorous come-backs for those who ask "How are you" just to be polite but don't really care.
Maybe you can pick 3 of your favorites to rotate between. lol
For those who seem to care & if you have time, tell them how you're really doing.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 AM

7,525 posts, read 17,011,011 times
I like the response to "Hi!"

"Not yet, but the day is young"

Old 03-08-2012, 08:04 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,262,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I like the response to "Hi!"

"Not yet, but the day is young"
Sometimes I respond to "how are you" with "I'm here!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships