Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,944,289 times

Advertisements

From personal experience, I do think it is tougher for black women for sure.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:33 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,784,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
There is a real or perceived black male shortage. Also, there is a well known tendency for black women to prefer only black men. Whether this is true or not, this perception creates a dating market skewed in black men's favor, especially for educated or successful ones like me.
Your the minority, black men have no advantages in dating since most are looked upon as poor, any race, a man who is educated will have a ton of options.

Black men statically are at a disadvantage in dating over a advantage.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:39 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,891,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Your the minority, black men have no advantages in dating since most are looked upon as poor, any race, a man who is educated will have a ton of options.

Black men statically are at a disadvantage in dating over a advantage.
I clearly stated black men have an advantage "within the race", ie with black women. This includes both educated and non-educated black men. Even prison thugs have no problem finding women. I used to work in law enforcement and almost every felon had a woman waiting on him when he was released.

In fact, the only black men I've known who had problems finding women were high school age smart guys/nerds, when the numbers are still generally even between the genders. College and the adult dating market are entirely lopsided, however.

If you're talking about disadvantages with non-black women because of racial preferences and stereotypes, I certainly agree. But your OP said nothing about interracial dating, and the huge dating market advantages black men have with black women, overcompensate for disadvantages with non-black women regardless.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,944,289 times
Quote:
There is a real or perceived black male shortage. Also, there is a well known tendency for black women to prefer only black men. Whether these perceptions are real or not, it creates a dating market skewed in black men's favor, especially for educated or successful ones like me. Step foot on any HBCU campus or go to places where professional African-Americans are, and you'll see what I mean. Heck, you can even go to the "hood" and see the skewed gender ratios.
LOL. So true. I have a friend with a PHD from a top tier school, no kids and he owns a condo. He's got a waiting list of 30 women. And who knows how many waiting in the wings.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I clearly stated black men have an advantage "within the race", ie with black women. This includes both educated and non-educated black men. Even prison thugs have no problem finding women.

If you're talking about disadvantages with non-black women because of racial stereotypes, I certainly agree. But the OP said nothing about interracial dating, and the huge dating market advantages black men have with black women more than compensate for disadvantages with non-black women.
Within the race? Whatever advantages we have its surely diminishing. Thugs get the lowest of the low in terms of women, interracial dating is soaring and the only reason black women aren't into it heaps and bounds is because currently the majority aren't seemed as attractive to the men of others races, that's not a knock but that's the perception but black women, like most women think security and safety and it'd a good reason why black men have it harder when it comes to dating.

You're the minority once again.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:51 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,731,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
LOL. So true. I have a friend with a PHD from a top tier school, no kids and he owns a condo. He's got a waiting list of 30 women. And who knows how many waiting in the wings.
In general sure. However, it's all about the location.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:57 PM

566 posts, read 959,551 times
Quote:
Within the race? Whatever advantages we have its surely diminishing. Thugs get the lowest of the low in terms of women, interracial dating is soaring and the only reason black women aren't into it heaps and bounds is because currently the majority aren't seemed as attractive to the men of others races, that's not a knock but that's the perception but black women, like most women think security and safety and it'd a good reason why black men have it harder when it comes to dating.

You're the minority once again.
In other words, find an idiot to pay all her bills. And btw, the primary reason most Black women aren't into interracial dating is because most have almost nothing in common with most non-Black men because of cultural differences, likes, dislikes, preferences, etc. If two people have nothing or very little in common, it just won't work out (and most people know this).

I'm a minority who grew up in an all white/Jewish upper middle class suburb on the east coast and even I don't really have all that much in common with white people, so if I don't even have that much in common, there's no way most Black women would mesh well with non-Black men (except for maybe certain Hispanics like Puerto Ricans and Dominicans).

Last edited by midatlantic12; 03-09-2012 at 03:10 PM..

Old 03-09-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
In other words, find an idiot to pay all her bills. And btw, the primary reason most Black women aren't into interracial dating is because most have almost nothing in common with most non-Black men because of cultural differences, likes, dislikes, preferences, etc. If two people have nothing or very little in common, it just won't work out.
Little in common? Like what? If two people have a good job and have a active social life what's the difficult part? White men and asian women get along just fine, nothing is wrong with black women especially the educated ones. If anything hurts them it's negative stereotypes.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:09 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,479,250 times
Quote:
Since statically they make less money, I'm speaking mostly men here but what's your opinion?
Ethnicity has nothing to do with having less money, or an easier time dating.

Let's say that guy #1 of "ethnicity A" earns $26,000 per year and guy #2 of "ethnicity B" earns $60,000 per year.

Both guys are going to have an equal playing field, because guy #1 will date in his socio-economic pool, and guy #2 will stay within his pool or take a step down.

Both guys are going to date, but guy #1 might feel more pressure to use money he doesn't have to take his date out than guy #2 because he has less money to work with, not because he's of "ethnicity A", and not of "ethnicity B".

Old 03-09-2012, 03:12 PM

566 posts, read 959,551 times
Quote:
Little in common? Like what? If two people have a good job and have a active social life what's the difficult part? White men and asian women get along just fine, nothing is wrong with black women especially the educated ones. If anything hurts them it's negative stereotypes.
Trust me, I probably know over 750 Black women and even educated Black women don't have all that much in common with most non-Black men; at least not enough to sustain a serious relationship. The only Black women who truly mesh well with non-Black men are the one's who basically grew up around whites, have mostly white friends, went to mostly white schools, and for the most part are 100% culturally white. Of course, you also have Black women who have been dogged many times by Black men, and as a result, they start dating White guys; and the Black women who are ashamed of being Black and therefore date non-Black men exclusively because they have a lot of self-hate.

Last edited by midatlantic12; 03-09-2012 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.