Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 08:10 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
I guess we have different definitions of 'geeky' then. A stereotype, if you will, of the skinny guy who wears plaid, has pen in his shirt pocket, you know... Revenge of the Nerds type of geek. Funny-ass movie, btw. Oh, I wouldn't consider YOU 'geeky' simply because you're not a sports fan or partier - again, I think it goes back to differing definitions. I happen to like sports myself... WITHIN REASON. It certainly isn't my 'life' by any stretch.

Well, I FEEL like a 'rare breed'. Dunno what else to say about that one... except, yes, I definitely follow the beat of a much different drummer.

The last one... well, will say that's a 'tuffy'. I need some serious convincing to change my stance there - and it can only come via positive experiences.
I think the closer you are to 'normal' and 'average' the easier it is to date. You don't have to be super attractive necessarily, but you should be as close to the status quo as possible.

If you have interests or hobbies that aren't 'normal' or if you have physical traits that aren't close to 'average' it makes things harder.

For me, I'm FAR taller than average, I have surgery scars that mar my skin, I also have tattoos and hobbies and a career that are not normal for a female. Therefore, I believe it's inherently harder for me to find a significant other than most of my friends because while they may not be gorgeous, they work retail jobs, have generic English degrees from average universities and are entirely normal in every way. They're easy to date, someone like me isn't and I think that may be where some problems arise for certain people.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 PM

120 posts, read 211,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I consider myself to be very ugly, yet I still see people who are married with kids and some of them look like mutants. Whats their secret?
Maybe it's just animal magnetism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_magnetism

Old 06-21-2012, 08:42 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think the closer you are to 'normal' and 'average' the easier it is to date. You don't have to be super attractive necessarily, but you should be as close to the status quo as possible.

If you have interests or hobbies that aren't 'normal' or if you have physical traits that aren't close to 'average' it makes things harder.

For me, I'm FAR taller than average, I have surgery scars that mar my skin, I also have tattoos and hobbies and a career that are not normal for a female. Therefore, I believe it's inherently harder for me to find a significant other than most of my friends because while they may not be gorgeous, they work retail jobs, have generic English degrees from average universities and are entirely normal in every way. They're easy to date, someone like me isn't and I think that may be where some problems arise for certain people.
Yeah, but imagine, there's some guy out there who will fall for you because you're SO unique! And I agree: "average" is a lot easier to match up.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:29 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:

I'll be blunt here...

I don't even think the tattoos, hobbies and career matter. The further away from average you are lookswise, the harder it is period. I'm short (strike 1) and Asian (strike 2). That alone puts me near the bottom of the dating pool. It's funny. When I was younger (late teens, early 20s), some guys used to look at me and assume I couldn't get any women. Unfortunately, they were right.

I mean, I knew when I was younger that people were shallow, but I didn't think it would be THIS BAD.

Oh well. Accept and deal.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I'll be blunt here...

I don't even think the tattoos, hobbies and career matter. The further away from average you are lookswise, the harder it is period. I'm short (strike 1) and Asian (strike 2). That alone puts me near the bottom of the dating pool. It's funny. When I was younger (late teens, early 20s), some guys used to look at me and assume I couldn't get any women. Unfortunately, they were right.

I mean, I knew when I was younger that people were shallow, but I didn't think it would be THIS BAD.

How short are you? Some guys consider themselves "short" at 5'6 or 5'7. That's not "short".

Asian isn't de facto a strike. I've brought Asian men to the US as part of an exchange program, and some women literally couldn't keep their hands off them. Some Asian guys are the best-looking guys out there!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:47 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
I'll be blunt here...

I mentioned this in another thread, but I spent quite a few hours last weekend trying to get the attention of a 5'2 Asian guy. He was awesome and I had a ton of fun, but when I hinted that I wouldn't mind going out with me he quite bluntly told me he wasn't interested in me 'in that way'

But I do agree that being outside of the 'norm' is very difficult. Being a very tall girl (and no, being 5'8 doesn't make a girl tall...) and having a very interesting physique makes it damn near impossible to have men interested in anything more than sexual innuendo or a one night stand.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:37 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,726 times
Quote:
I mentioned this in another thread, but I spent quite a few hours last weekend trying to get the attention of a 5'2 Asian guy. He was awesome and I had a ton of fun, but when I hinted that I wouldn't mind going out with me he quite bluntly told me he wasn't interested in me 'in that way'

But I do agree that being outside of the 'norm' is very difficult. Being a very tall girl (and no, being 5'8 doesn't make a girl tall...) and having a very interesting physique makes it damn near impossible to have men interested in anything more than sexual innuendo or a one night stand.
See, I can't even get that... I can't get anyone to even WANT to pay any sort of attention to me. Why? Well, I already know why... once again, it goes back to the most fundamental thing about a person... looks.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:46 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How short are you? Some guys consider themselves "short" at 5'6 or 5'7. That's not "short".

Asian isn't de facto a strike. I've brought Asian men to the US as part of an exchange program, and some women literally couldn't keep their hands off them. Some Asian guys are the best-looking guys out there!
5'5" on a good day. The Asian thing ain't so bad, but it shortens my pool. To be honest, there's some women who have liked me for me. And I've had some relationships. Sometimes it's easy to whine online.

Sometimes I think I'm decent looking. And I'm kind of surprised a woman hasn't been like, "You're cute. Wanna date?" I mean, I've been around this world quite a bit. But, hey ... you work with what you are given.

Quote:

Yea, you're a different kind of animal, JJ. To be honest, if a woman who was 5'8" didn't want to date me, I would understand. It's the 5'1"s and 5'2"s that are a little tougher. But whatever. Onwards and upwards...

Old 06-22-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
5'5" on a good day. The Asian thing ain't so bad, but it shortens my pool. To be honest, there's some women who have liked me for me. And I've had some relationships. Sometimes it's easy to whine online.

Sometimes I think I'm decent looking. And I'm kind of surprised a woman hasn't been like, "You're cute. Wanna date?" I mean, I've been around this world quite a bit. But, hey ... you work with what you are given.

Yea, you're a different kind of animal, JJ. To be honest, if a woman who was 5'8" didn't want to date me, I would understand. It's the 5'1"s and 5'2"s that are a little tougher. But whatever. Onwards and upwards...
Even 5'5 isn't that short, sort of borderline "short" in my book. So, what kind of Asian are you, if I may ask?

JJ, you get an "E" for Effort!

Old 06-23-2012, 01:05 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
I agree with almost all of Doll's Eyes,dragonborn,and Mightyqueen's post.
I have the exact same experiences. The only problem with me is that I can't seem to find ugly men who would be interested in me. But then,I didn't pick up the social cues of when a guy is flirting because of my younger years. I didn't date,didn't have friends,even relatives didn't want to go out with me,it was that bad.
I get called attractive now by men,however they just stare. They don't come over and talk to me.

I do know for me weight loss has improved my face a little,and I get called ugly and pretty all in the same day now. But I can be ugly or pretty depending on the ethnicity of the man saying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships