Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:22 PM

5 posts, read 133,753 times

Advertisements

Let's be clear that by asking the question I am neither taking a stance nor am I indirectly trying to be insulting. I think that the grand majority of us once married or in a long term relationship would probably stay with our partner regardless of what happened to their physical body. But, I do want to ask the question on how it factors in pre-relationship.

We all know the politically correct answer is to say that all you are concerned in is who the person is inside but is that really true? I've experienced many people's behavior to be very different IRL. so what's your stance? it's a deep question so I'm not expecting this to go 2 pages. 2 or three replies will satiate me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 08:29 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,375 times
Do you mean paraplegic? Or something else? Because like so many threads, the answer is "it depends".

I'm not eager to start a relationship with someone who will forever have a laundry list of health problems or who is unable to perform in the bedroom. I'm still young and want adventure and travel. I want to go skiing and go to the beach and go hiking or mountain biking. When you're dating someone who is disabled, all of their limitations become yours as well.

It's not a dealbreaker, but it isn't a positive, either.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
The issue is not the disablity, but how the person accepts the disability. If the person is full of anger, and denial, that is the problem. If the person accepts his/her disability, but continues living a full life, there are no problems.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:58 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
I am open to dating people with disabilities. I've dated a woman in a wheelchair. I'm kind of interested in two women right now. One of them is Deaf, in a wheelchair and the other is Hard of hearing, soon to be completely deaf. That's not the reason why I am into them, but to be honest most of the people I spend time with are deaf cause I go to a deaf school.

What jasper said is crucial too--I can't stand disabled people that pity themselves and feel entitled. But any independent disabled person who accepts their disability as a part of their life is game for me in the dating world.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:00 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,746 times
Not all disabilities are the same. Some are visible and some are invisible.

Are we talking only the visible ones?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post

Great question.

One of my exes has several invisible disabilities, and no visible ones. Another one of my exes has a visible disability but no invisible ones. I have a visible disability and two invisible ones. The Hard of Hearing woman I'm interested in has two other invisible disabilities.

Having a visible vs. invisible disability lends itself to quite a different experience. If you genuinely get to know someone, then you are going to know about the disability regardless of how visible it is, but you will witness other people will treat the person completely differently depending on whether the person's disability is visible or not.

ETA: It can also causes different strains on the relationship. People will expect you to take care of the person you're dating if they are visibly disabled. If they are invisibly disabled, people won't understand why they're so "needy". Etc.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:08 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,425,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post

That's true. I have a invisible disability. I've never had a problem with dating before my disability. Once I meet someone, I explain to them my disability. They looks surprised because I take care of my appearance so well. Most guys I run into can't believe I actually injured myself in the military because I don't look like the typical injured Army women. I' m told I'm attractive and look healthy. but you never know what people go through by looking at the outward appearance. It's about a person and their personality more than the disability.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
That's true. I have a invisible disability. I've never had a problem with dating before my disability. Once I meet someone, I explain to them my disability. They looks surprised because I take care of my appearance so well. Most guys I run into can't believe I actually injured myself in the military because I don't look like the typical injured Army women. I' m told I'm attractive and look healthy. but you never know what people go through by looking at the outward appearance. It's about a person and their personality more than the disability.
I have chronic pain and PTSD. Sometimes it really annoys me that all people can see is my blindness, because I find the two invisible disabilities to be 100x more crippling. Of course I don't let them stop my life, but I do find them harder to live with.

One of the hardest things about invisible disabilities is getting the accommodations or support you need and convincing people that your disability is real.

In terms of dating, though, at least people give you a chance because it's up to you when to reveal your disability. With visible disabilities, the vast majority of people blow you off before even giving you a chance.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,746 times
I have anxiety disorder with agoraphobia. Back when I was first dealing with it, I didn't know how to articulate what I was experiencing. Now I can tell people that it is like falling into a dark hole full of water and trying to struggle to the surface; sometimes, you can struggle and break free to the surface and other times the more you struggle, the faster you sink.

When I call in "sick", it isn't because I have the flu or a cold, it is because I can feel the darkness rising. I've learned to manage it without medication; my control stems from knowing my limits and my body. I have been at work when I have had an anxiety attack and people thought I was just flipping out because of anger, and not because of my disorder. People seem so flippant about it because it isn't a visible thing.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:24 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
I'll be bluntly honest. If he is blind, wheelchair bound, lost an arm, lost a leg, I would still date him. If it's a learning disability, yes I would date him. Mild ADHD or mild Autistic, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships