Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:39 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
OUCH...

I think ever since I hit that 30 mark and still single, dating has taken a hard turn.
Well, I spent the time period of 24-30 in 2 back to back relationships... so, I'm not sure how that period would have been.

But, has anybody else just have trouble dating? I am never married, no kids, and just hit my 30s...I'm finding it harder and harder to find decent women, I'm sure it is hard for the women to find guys also.

I am not really the type to "settle" or just date anybody so eh... I think I might wind up like Seinfeld or something. That is how I feel. And it isn't so much as there are faults with these people, there just isn't much to choose from, and the quality of potential candidates I remember before was MUCH better.

So who out there can relate?
I just NOW in the past couple of months found a really decent and responsible man. I am 43, been out there trying for many years. It IS hard to meet people organically anymore, certainly. What I found most often were men in arrested development. For example, men in their 30's with no furniture, minimally employed, a lack of concern about commitment or what it takes to be a good partner for another.
To find someone with your same fundamentals is hard, but do not settle just because it takes time.
The problem is not always that there were better candidates to choose from before-it is that many of the people your age are married. Add to that the fact that we aren't in college where tons of others are. We work hard all day and are not meeting in the world as we did when we were younger and out-and-about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 10:57 AM

398 posts, read 751,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I just NOW in the past couple of months found a really decent and responsible man. I am 43, been out there trying for many years. It IS hard to meet people organically anymore, certainly. What I found most often were men in arrested development. For example, men in their 30's with no furniture, minimally employed, a lack of concern about commitment or what it takes to be a good partner for another.
To find someone with your same fundamentals is hard, but do not settle just because it takes time.
The problem is not always that there were better candidates to choose from before-it is that many of the people your age are married. Add to that the fact that we aren't in college where tons of others are. We work hard all day and are not meeting in the world as we did when we were younger and out-and-about.
Yeah that is true, I'm not in those massive social circles that college provided anymore. My work colleagues are also mostly all married.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:34 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,702 times
Why make it any harder then it already is. Age 30 and single should just look for sex partners, and stop pretending to be 15 year olds, going out on dates, and trying to be cool. Just dress up nice, do a AIDS test, and get naked already. That sloves everybody problems. If you like what you see, maybe we could do it again, and again, and again. No more of this game nonsense, just go out their and show some leg, and get some attention.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:49 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
I just have to chuckle at the obvious culture differences between where the OP lives (Austin, TX) and where I live (NYC). Apparently, it is still the 1960's in that region of the country and if you aren't married by 30 you are damaged goods.

In NYC, I'd say unmarried people at age 30 is very common. In fact, I don't know many people in their twenties who are married.

Move.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:06 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I just have to chuckle at the obvious culture differences between where the OP lives (Austin, TX) and where I live (NYC). Apparently, it is still the 1960's in that region of the country and if you aren't married by 30 you are damaged goods.

In NYC, I'd say unmarried people at age 30 is very common. In fact, I don't know many people in their twenties who are married.

Move.
LOL! So true! Twenties are the new teenage years......

Old 03-27-2012, 01:15 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,830 times
Well, the older we get, the less good chances we have.... And yes, it's harder to find matches than at 20.... BUT

I would say that 30 is a prime of life! It's a perfect time to find another adult and hook up with them...

Before 30, people are more immature and at 30 they finally grow up...

So, like someone else said, because of so many divorces and break ups, 30 still should be a great age to find someone.

I am 37... and when I look at guys, 30 almost seems "too young" (I mean immature), so you're still in between the young and the older... you could choose for both pools (younger and older women)

30-35 - people still look good usually

Last edited by LoveWisdom; 03-27-2012 at 01:25 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 01:18 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,745 times
I agree. I'm 32 and have found it's more difficult to date now than it was in my 20s. There seem to be fewer available fish, particularly ones with no baggage. I refuse to date a man with kids, and I hesitate to date a guy who's divorced. Since I have never been married, have no kids, am financially secure, and made it a point to make smart life choices, I refuse to settle for someone who's not at least somewhat similar.

I'm attractive, in great shape, have traveled, am educated and have a good personality, so I can't figure out why it's so difficult to meet and connect with similar men. There was one guy who I liked and met most of my criteria, but he wasn't interested in me. My friend (who set us up) said he has unrealistic expectations though, so maybe that was more about him than me. Anyway, yes, it does seem more complicated now than a few years ago.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:20 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,745 times
Quote:
I found dating in NYC to be hard. A lot of my friends have said the same because the guys have too many women to choose from.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:28 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,468 times
I wouldn't say it is harder, but it is different. I'll be 36 this year, and yeah it is a lot different than when I was 20, but in some aspects it is easier, because I know what I want and it seems women my age know what they want as well. However, actually getting the oppurtunity to meet people seems harder. Not many clubs that I like, plus I have a busy work schedule, and most women my age have kids, so it's hard to schedule a date right away sometimes. But there were just as many frustrations with dating when I was younger, just different frustrations.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:44 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
the males that's out there in this age group only want fu*k buddies or FWB, anything where it's as easy for them as possible to 'get some' without having to do much more. they always say they don't want serious relationships or marriage...probably b/c they require too much effort. I seen it over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships