Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:41 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
yes I've talked about previous boyfriends but that's the thing, they didn't keep me.
No doubt, that hurts.
Quote:
that rejection hurts more than the initial dating process not working out.
Better to have loved and lost......than to have never loved at all.

Quote:
and sure I've rejected guys before, but I've also been dumped by all the men I've liked so its not like I don't know rejection. I don't believe anyone who tells me they have never rejected anyone.
Believe it. It is certainly possible.
Quote:
I'm sure the OP has had to reject at least one girl in his life. so its not like he's the only one being rejected. Either way, if he just doesn't want a relationship, that's one thing but to try to condition himself into something he isn't wired for like being alone and without love, is just absurd to me.
Agreed.

Quote:
Taking a break from it, I get that, but trying to permanently be without it when from what I get, he wants love? crazy. so I agree with Dewdrop on this one.
When I was in college, I resolved, similarly to the OP, that I would just stop caring and not give a damn and not try to even feel bad because I had nobody and no prospects. I resolved to try to kill my desire for love and sex with a woman.

That lasted about a week. A normal human being can't go without companionship (emotional and sexual). You do crave it. It's a certainty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 02:47 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No doubt, that hurts.

Better to have loved and lost......than to have never loved at all.

yep! exactly. I didn't say I had regrets. just that its happened to me too

Believe it. It is certainly possible.

hmm..never heard of it. Even horribly ugly people reject someone!

Agreed.

When I was in college, I resolved, similarly to the OP, that I would just stop caring and not give a damn and not try to even feel bad because I had nobody and no prospects. I resolved to try to kill my desire for love and sex with a woman.

That lasted about a week. A normal human being can't go without companionship (emotional and sexual). You do crave it. It's a certainty.
see? Most of us are not wired to be alone and without love. I know it's probably a little easier for me being a woman cause I can "give up" and still possibly get asked out, but still. Men can give up too and meet a girl all of a sudden that they just HAVE to take a chance on. things happen..I'm not one to stop it, that's like going against living.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:52 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
So far my new habit breaking has gone well, I've been so busy with a lot of new things in my life that dating hasn't been on the brain too much. My goal of breaking my desire to want to date 100% completely is going to be a work in progress but I just have to maintain self control.

That being said, I almost asked a girl last night to have a drink with me or even thought about throwing her my business card (that has my personal cell number on it) and telling her to give me a holler sometime. I did stop myself, but the initial desire to make a move was still there. I will no longer make effort or first moves. If a girl were to ask me out or something I'd be totally game, but let's be realistic: that almost never happens.

Anyway, just keeping you all up to date since someone requested I keep updating my situation. Best of luck to those who are pursuing or trying to improve their relationships!
Weird.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:55 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,203,754 times
For all the people on this board who are constantly saying that people are not meant to be alone, why does it scare you so much to think that some people are not built for intimate relationships? Seriously.

If a person wants to give for good they should just give up. They've been rejected by everyone so why try to make them suffer more than they already have.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:56 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post

I am not a normal human being. I can be very stubborn and hold out for a long time.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:01 PM

977 posts, read 1,814,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
If a person wants to give for good they should just give up. They've been rejected by everyone so why try to make them suffer more than they already have.
Ok, but this doesn't apply to the OP. He's had GF's before, I think, and clearly he wants someone, but is scared due to past experiences. Understandable, but I'm with Lucario, I don't think this will last all that long. Months, perhaps, but not years. I might believe it if the OP was a serious introvert, hermit type, but since he's not, he's going to run into women and there will be one that breaks him down.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:06 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Ok, but this doesn't apply to the OP. He's had GF's before, I think, and clearly he wants someone, but is scared due to past experiences. Understandable, but I'm with Lucario, I don't think this will last all that long. Months, perhaps, but not years. I might believe it if the OP was a serious introvert, hermit type, but since he's not, he's going to run into women and there will be one that breaks him down.
Break him down?

Ya'll are making having a SO more appealing.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:07 PM

674 posts, read 1,161,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Nothing in life is certain, so I guess the solution is to stop living.
I'm living my life fully even more now that I stopped pursuing women. I've accomplished and begun doing so much more since my last breakup.

I don't understand your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking!

Not everything comes with a lifetime warranty!
Well according to your description of the maze, you made it sound like the gold in the middle was the end and once you reached it you were in the clear.

My point is that you're never in the clear, there's no real attainable point to reach. You'll always be at risk of being crushed. If you take my approach you cannot be burned. That much I know for certain.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:10 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
For all the people on this board who are constantly saying that people are not meant to be alone, why does it scare you so much to think that some people are not built for intimate relationships? Seriously.

LOL. people who are not meant for relationships are one thing. but the OP is obviously not that person.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:15 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
LOL. people who are not meant for relationships are one thing. but the OP is obviously not that person.
My guess is, that the only reason the OP isnt this type of person, is the fact that as a heterosexual male, you simply cannot get away from your sexuality and urges. Its a natural instinct that is responsible for survival of our species. Most guys in this situation simply wish they were born gay and spared from living in limbo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships