Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times

Advertisements

I have never been in a position to reject any women for relationships, if only b/c no women have ever been receptive to any with me, at least before I was already about 31 anyway. The only time I had to politely decline romantic overtures was when 2 girls offered me no-strings physical intimacy (but minus the relationship component). I basically responded to them by saying "Thanks, but I'm sorry that is not exactly what I am looking for."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM

348 posts, read 550,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Usually if she is sweet, and she likes me, but I don't find her attractive -- then it is really difficult. I feel shallow and guilty.

If she's not sweet, then it's not difficult, ever. My tolerance for harsh or abrasive women is very low, and I just want them to go away.
Agree. I worked with a woman who, if she were a man, would've been arrested for harassment. After all the attempted hugs-with-a-kiss-on-the-cheek I told her in no uncertain terms to stop doing that that it was very inappropriate at work. It had the side benefit of making her stay away from me completely and only communicate via email.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:19 AM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
My first rejection was 7th grade. I had such a crush on him, but was afraid he liked another girl more. He would always talk to me and be nice. Finally one day he came to my locker (I cannot believe I still remember this!) and told me so nicely that he knew I had feelings for him but that he was going to ask out the other girl and he wanted me to know first.

He was such a gentleman (at that young age). I just said, you and I are just friends and that's great about the other girl. He just smiled and told me yes, he and I were friends and that's why he wanted me to know first. He was such a class act!

(They went on to marry and had two children and were together until he had an early fatal heart attack).
Wow, that is one classy kid

Old 04-26-2012, 11:41 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post

Also, courtesy of jobaba, please answer the question below.
Pretty much what I thought. Most men have rejected a few but not a lot.

A few guys have rejected a lot.

And a few guys have rejected none.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:43 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Usually if she is sweet, and she likes me, but I don't find her attractive -- then it is really difficult. I feel shallow and guilty.
Do you try to keep her around as a friend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
My first rejection was 7th grade. I had such a crush on him, but was afraid he liked another girl more. He would always talk to me and be nice. Finally one day he came to my locker (I cannot believe I still remember this!) and told me so nicely that he knew I had feelings for him but that he was going to ask out the other girl and he wanted me to know first.

He was such a gentleman (at that young age). I just said, you and I are just friends and that's great about the other girl. He just smiled and told me yes, he and I were friends and that's why he wanted me to know first. He was such a class act!

(They went on to marry and had two children and were together until he had an early fatal heart attack).
Awww yes he was quite the gentleman.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:17 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
What class act!

Yes, I've rejected a few women, but it was bit tough to do so I must say. It can be quite painful and raw, so it's a hard thing to bring oneself to do to another person, but it's better than leading them on and hurting them more down the road if you know it's just not going to work.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:06 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
What class act!

Yes, I've rejected a few women, but it was bit tough to do so I must say. It can be quite painful and raw, so it's a hard thing to bring oneself to do to another person, but it's better than leading them on and hurting them more down the road if you know it's just not going to work.
It is tough. I think all people have been rejected one time or another. That time-stands-still feeling of trying to just say "oh, OK" and get away because of the awkwardness reminds us of how the other person feels. Better not to lead her on. It's easy-too easy to say "what the heck I may GET to be attracted/Fall in love/Run off to Mexico with her and such.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:48 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Do you try to keep her around as a friend?
Sometimes, yes, but that isn't the norm.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:35 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
I've done it, kinda sorta. The reason? Because she was fat. And she was bright, but not bright enough for me.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:38 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
Unfortunately, I've had to reject many women, ranging from a dating site "Thanks, but I don't think we're a match" to turning down offers of sex in person. I've been rejected many times myself, and it's never a good feeling, so I try to do any rejecting as kindly as possible - but directly to be clear.

It's gotten pretty easy to do, but I still feel empathy for them, having been there all too often myself. It does get harder if it becomes necessary after dating or being in a relationship for several months or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships