Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:41 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,273,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The people you are looking at are the ones on YOUR list...perhaps you need to rethink those people that you consider friends?

And simply because you have some friends that "expose everything" on FB, it does not follow that everyone else does the same. Your experience might be a "virtual reality", but it certainly is not mine.
I understand that, but consider the following: when you accept a coworker or any friend as your friend, they also bring some of their friends along. And who is to say that when one of your friends or family member is communicating with you at Facebook, some of their friends aren't next to them? For example, communicating with you while in a party or any social event, etc. Not only that, but the stuff at Facebook, Twitter, and so forth is not as private as you think it is. Even if you close your Facebook account, the account stays there, although not open to for all to view. The "right people" can always look at what you post online, regardless if it's you page at Facebook or not, just like at your e-mail mail. Nothing you post online is really private. It may be "private" compared to this forum, but just like in this forum the right person can develop, different kinds of profiles on anyone of us.

During the summer around 12-14 university students work for meat work, and they tell me or show me what's is going on in Facebook.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:48 PM

766 posts, read 1,660,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I understand that, but consider the following: when you accept a coworker or any friend as your friend, they also bring some of their friends along. And who is to say that when one of your friends or family member is communicating with you at Facebook, some of their friends aren't next to them? For example, communicating with you while in a party or any social event, etc. Not only that, but the stuff at Facebook, Twitter, and so forth is not as private as you think it is. Even if you close your Facebook account, the account stays there, although not open to for all to view. The "right people" can always look at what you post online, regardless if it's you page at Facebook or not, just like at your e-mail mail. Nothing you post online is really private.

During the summer around 12-14 university students work for meat work, and they tell me or show me what's is going on in Facebook.
I don't know what you mean. Are you saying you accept your coworkers friends as friends?

if your not posting anything bad, why care who reads it? You can always set your FB so only certain people can see certain things.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 PM

44,392 posts, read 20,120,186 times
I'm with those who say it's a plus if the guy I'm dating doesn't have a Facebook account. I have no interest in Facebook.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-07-2012 at 10:00 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 PM

37,718 posts, read 46,158,427 times
Quote:
I understand that, but consider the following: when you accept a coworker or any friend as your friend, they also bring some of their friends along.
Huh? Do you even know how to use the site?

Quote:
And who is to say that when one of your friends or family member is communicating with you at Facebook, some of their friends aren't next to them? For example, communicating with you while in a party or any social event, etc. Not only that, but the stuff at Facebook, Twitter, and so forth is not as private as you think it is. Even if you close your Facebook account, the account stays there, although not open to for all to view. The "right people" can always look at what you post online, regardless if it's you page at Facebook or not, just like at your e-mail mail. Nothing you post online is really private. It may be "private" compared to this forum, but just like in this forum the right person can develop, different kinds of profiles on anyone of us.

I don't think you understand the site at all, from what you have said. You are going by what college kids say? Right. And you think that describes the rest of us and how we use it??

Old 05-07-2012, 09:54 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,420,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarsgirl79 View Post
Sounds more like twitter....Who posts their every move on FB?
you don't have friends who post everything they eat, write, blink, see, poop, floss, do?????? they tempt me to delete them, so annoying!

"tying my shoe...."

1 hour later

"dinner time"....

3 hours later

"watching t.v....work was lame"

who effing cares?? lol

Old 05-07-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2009 View Post
I find it so funny how people who don't have Facebook are so anti-facebook without even trying it. And when they did try it and found it to be so completely awful, I have to wonder what their friends are like...my friends make me laugh at their jokes and witty comments, invite me to go out to parties, and share pictures of their families. Many of them I wouldn't be able to talk to because they aren't all local.
Don't you think that's more fun to do such things face to face, or invite someone on simple phone call?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:55 PM

37,718 posts, read 46,158,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarsgirl79 View Post
I don't know what you mean. Are you saying you accept your coworkers friends as friends?

if your not posting anything bad, why care who reads it? You can always set your FB so only certain people can see certain things.
Exactly. He is pretty much in the dark on FB.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Huh? Do you even know how to use the site?

I don't think you understand the site at all, from what you have said. You are going by what college kids say? Right. And you think that describes the rest of us and how we use it??
I said before that I have a Facebook page. Some of the students are Facebook friends too, but regardless Facebook is not private as you think it is, and it will never be face-to-face human interaction, but a different reality.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/1...d-bad-and-ugly

While there are some positives about Facebook, take a look at the negatives relating to human interaction:
http://guy-lecky-thompson.suite101.c...cation-a121387

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-07-2012 at 10:09 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 PM

766 posts, read 1,660,578 times
Quote:
Don't you think that's more fun to do such things face to face, or invite someone on simple phone call?
Why can't you do both? It's not all or nothing. Can't you like watching t.v. and still find time to read a book?

You could be talking to someone face to face now, but your on here typing to strangers. At least the people he or she's talking to on FB they actually know.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:01 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,972,805 times
I don't facebook or twitter. I'm comfortable enough with my own skin that I don't need to broadcast every interesting or not interesting thing I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships