Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:41 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,002,157 times

Advertisements

For people who are constantly in relationship tumult, do you really want answers or do you go to forums such as this to vent? If you really want answers, why don't you read something by authors such as John Gray, Michael Fiore, Rori Raye.....Steve Harvey (highly recommended)? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 01:51 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
I've been on here a few times specifically to have people go "You're so RIGHT, JerZ! What a s ch muck your husband is"...I admit that. Most of the time, though, I come here because I am fascinated with relationships and/or because I really want help with my marriage.

When I was single and in my early 20s, everything was drama. I FINALLY realized the one thing all those horrible relationships had in common was me. Once I stepped away from the self-fulfilling prophecies, life was so much better.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:56 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I've been on here a few times specifically to have people go "You're so RIGHT, JerZ! What a s ch muck your husband is"...I admit that. Most of the time, though, I come here because I am fascinated with relationships and/or because I really want help with my marriage.

When I was single and in my early 20s, everything was drama. I FINALLY realized the one thing all those horrible relationships had in common was me. Once I stepped away from the self-fulfilling prophecies, life was so much better.
Fair enough. Have you ever read anything by Steve Harvey? Or any of the authors on relationships? If so, what did you think?

Old 05-17-2012, 02:04 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Fair enough. Have you ever read anything by Steve Harvey? Or any of the authors on relationships? If so, what did you think?
Oh yes! Rori Raye (who, it turns out, is surprisingly non-manipulative in her tactics once you dive in...actually, she reiterates constantly that if you do have to keep playing certain games, that just isn't the relationship for you), Beverly DiAngelo (can't remember the spelling) and some others.

I'm not keen on John Gray, but I'm not exactly against him, either. He just feels a little fluffy to me.

What I did think of Raye and DiAngelo, et al: I liked the advice. Often, it was to concentrate on oneself and stop turning somersaults to land some man you don't actually want anyway. What you almost certainly really want is the drama...and confirmation of your own negative beliefs. That repeating idea really straightened my head out when I was young.

It was all a long time ago but I do think I got a lot out of digging in deep and really thinking about things.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:09 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,225 times
Or the take pity on me threads (or people who interject others threads to whine and seek more pity)

Old 05-17-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Or the take pity on me threads (or people who interject others threads to whine and seek more pity)
I think the latter is often the reader trying to relate to the OP. After all, how many ways can you offer empathy in these threads? Relating is the only way many know how.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:15 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,372,211 times
I haven't read the Steve Harvey book, but I saw him on one of the morning shows and it sounded like his sage dating advice to women was that men are incapable of being reliable or thoughtful, so it's best not to expect much. Expecting a guy to step up and expressing that is akin to nagging. Not very flattering or helpful to either men or women.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:16 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
When I was in a relationship, I asked questions about whether I was in the wrong or right and what they thought about the situation. Everyone seemed to agree with me and so I did what I felt was right and dumped her :P This forum made me a happy man.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:17 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,004,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I haven't read the Steve Harvey book, but I saw him on one of the morning shows and it sounded like his sage dating advice to women was that men are incapable of being reliable or thoughtful, so it's best not to expect much. Expecting a guy to step up and expressing that is akin to nagging. Not very flattering or helpful to either men or women.
That honestly sounds like someone pushing a stereotype instead of helpful advice... maybe there is more to it that he couldn't get into on a talk show interview?

Old 05-17-2012, 02:17 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I think the latter is often the reader trying to relate to the OP. After all, how many ways can you offer empathy in these threads? Relating is the only way many know how.
No, I'm talking about the people who come into a thread (example) about a women/mans relationship problem and someone (not naming names) will jump in and say "divorce/dump him/her, I dated men/women and they are all "X", I've sworn off dating because all men/women are terrible". Then they take the thread over, regaling us with their tales of horrible relationships of old.

There's lots of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships