Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
Unhappy with what came after. The grass is not always greener. Fair warning.
Glad you amended your statement in this post

But you have to understand, in your first post you said very definitively, "the grass is not greener".

Well, sometimes it is.

Point being, you simply should not make such sweeping generalizations about such complex situations.

Doing so makes you a very black and white thinker, which more times than not will lead to you being flat out wrong about a subject.

I get that you are unhappy about what came after your divorce, but not everyone will have the same experience you did okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 02:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,753,497 times
Quote:
Unhappy with what came after. The grass is not always greener. Fair warning.
How can you make such a sweeping statement about people you don't even know?

Everyone's circumstances are very individual, some people are very happy after their divorce, others are bitter and twisted. You sound like the latter.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:15 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,209,107 times
I didnt really have a whole lot of choice.

My ex-wife started moving her stuff out gradually and sneakily, so I didnt really notice, quit her job and bought a car without my knowledge, and was practically moved in to her moms house before she told me she wanted a divorce.

Worked out for the better on my part. She is trash, and is living the trash life style, and Ive got a far higher quality woman whom I married. Still though, its not always really an option.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I didnt really have a whole lot of choice.

My ex-wife started moving her stuff out gradually and sneakily, so I didnt really notice, quit her job and bought a car without my knowledge, and was practically moved in to her moms house before she told me she wanted a divorce.

Worked out for the better on my part. She is trash, and is living the trash life style, and Ive got a far higher quality woman whom I married. Still though, its not always really an option.
Another good point - some folks get divorced when it's not their idea or what they want/wanted at all.

Glad you are happier now

Old 05-23-2012, 03:36 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,483,451 times
Quote:
DON'T! This is how the ruin of your life (unless you are really young or he's beating the crap out of you.) starts. First you daydream about being single , you start to focus on what you think you could have. Opposite sex starts becoming more attractive and you leave. (Or cheat , cheating might be the better option so that when you find out the grass isn't greener , you might not have lost anything.) This is why people cheat. Not "ethical" but probably smart. Seriously , the grass is not greener. Don't mess up your life.
That provided my laugh for the day!

Seriously, divorce was the second best decision I made in my entire life. The grass IS greener, frequently. The BEST decision on my life was marrying my second wife, the true love of my life. Sometimes I wonder why I waited so long to kick my ex to the curb, since I was immediately happier once I did.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:13 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,282,137 times
Quote:
Many people DO get divorced because they are bored. Boredom was one of many issues when I was married. My whole point is think 1000x before you divorce. DON'T divorce simply because you are bored , on a whim. Be careful.
I'd rather have a bumpy ride on my own than be bored to numbness in a marriage.

Then again, if a marriage or partnership gets boring, it's up to the bored person to try to inject some life into it. I mean, who sits around being bored? Get off yer butt and try to liven things up. Your spouse isn't there to be a form of entertainment for you. You have as much responsibility for the excitement in your relationship as your partner.

And if you can't get anything going, who is to say that it wouldn't be better to leave? Just because you, Maddog, hate dating and have had a bad time of it, that doesn't mean that everyone will.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:20 PM

890 posts, read 2,787,808 times
Marriage is a choice. I choose to me married to my wife. She chooses to be married to me. Both of us need to choose to be married with each other in order to be considered a marriage. If either one of us no longer choose to be married, then why prolong the inevitable? It is that simple.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:25 PM

26,003 posts, read 22,192,881 times
So, is this about sex? Really if cheating might answer the question, then it is about sex? I don't think many people get divorced because they are bored. I think a lot of people get divorced for reasons that they don't make public and they should not out of respect for the spouse. Cheating doesn't happen in good marriages between mature adults. I divorced my first husband almost 31 years ago and have no regrets not even in having married him in the first place because together we had a most wonderful son. You do not know what kind of things go on behind closed doors and sometimes, those things are unspeakable.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:01 PM

900 posts, read 1,703,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
How can you make such a sweeping statement about people you don't even know?

Everyone's circumstances are very individual, some people are very happy after their divorce, others are bitter and twisted. You sound like the latter.
Oh yeah , I am bitter at the moment. Not twisted , you think divorce is good and I don't so what. Im just telling people it shouldn't be taken lightly. Things change but people need to be realistic as to what creeps are out there (and be smarter than me in avoiding them) Im sure there are good men out there too. Just going to put myself first and be protective from now on. Lots of good points throughout the thread for people to consider. That was my intent.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:25 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,832,120 times
Quote:
DON'T! This is how the ruin of your life (unless you are really young or he's beating the crap out of you.) starts. First you daydream about being single , you start to focus on what you think you could have. Opposite sex starts becoming more attractive and you leave. (Or cheat , cheating might be the better option so that when you find out the grass isn't greener , you might not have lost anything.) This is why people cheat. Not "ethical" but probably smart. Seriously , the grass is not greener. Don't mess up your life.
Bull****!

Divorce was the best thing for me. My only regret, that I didn't divorce her sooner.

The ex caused plenty of damage. Dumping her was incredibly smart. My life is far from messed up. In fact, post divorce is the best I have felt, been, and am going in pretty much all my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships