Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 12:20 PM

652 posts, read 1,052,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
^^^^^this.

" Hey I got this gift certificate for a dinner for two at this nice restaurant downtown, I haven't been there yet. We should go and try it out this weekend"

Spin it the right way and it's not a big deal. If that's a problem to the girl, she's not worth your time anyways.
A gift certificate and a coupon are not at all the same thing, just saying...that would be obvious to the woman when it comes time to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 12:25 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
An alpha male does whatever he wants; he doesn't need the approval of some woman to determine if his course of action is appropriate or not. If he decides coupon use would be valid, he will use a coupon.
DING DING!!! We have a winner. Though there's really no winning with women. I guess the only spending men should be doing is on females. If men spent lavishly on clothes, cars, and other material things for themselves, women would criticize them for being irresponsible. There's nothing wrong with saving money. The issue isn't that the man can't afford it, it's that he would like to save the money given the opportunity. It's foolish to spend more than you have to. We all try to get the best deals we can when purchasing any product. Does anyone here try to pay sticker price for a car without negotiating?

What woman would be that tacky and crass to give a man demerits for doing this? Of course, if it was customary for women to pay for the dates then their feelings would be different.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:27 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
I thought a little bit more about this.

I can't recall any guys ever using coupons during my dating days.

If I knew up front the guy had a coupon for $10 off your meal, etc., I think I'd feel some pressure to order a cheaper entree and a glass of water vs. a more expensive entree and a glass of wine.

I think I might have different thoughts about couponing if the guy was a college student vs. someone well established in a good career.

As far as the coupon books mentioned above, the ones I've seen usually have some fine print and restrictions. Often they apply to Mon-Thurs. and/or early diners.

Like I said I more likely to coupon than my husband. Once recently our family went out for dinner, and used a coupon. There was a fair bit of "fussing" involved so we could work our total out to the conditions of the coupon...and I think it took away from the enjoyment of the dinner, honestly.
What about those in between? Graduated two weeks ago, trying to get the career going.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
DING DING!!! We have a winner. Though there's really no winning with women. I guess the only spending men should be doing is on females. If men spent lavishly on clothes, cars, and other material things for themselves, women would criticize them for being irresponsible. There's nothing wrong with saving money. The issue isn't that the man can't afford it, it's that he would like to save the money given the opportunity. It's foolish to spend more than you have to. We all try to get the best deals we can when purchasing any product. Does anyone here try to pay sticker price for a car without negotiating?

What woman would be that tacky and crass to give a man demerits for doing this? Of course, if it was customary for women to pay for the dates then their feelings would be different.
If you want to save money, why go out to eat at all..it is a big waste of money.

I think there is a big difference in saving hundreds or more dollars purchasing a car, than giving out the message you are worried about saving $10, or sometimes much less at a restaurant.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
What about those in between? Graduated two weeks ago, trying to get the career going.
That's not well established in a good career.

It all comes down to the women you really want to be with. Do you really want to be with a women who only cares about how much you're spending on her?

Another thing , if you're paying with a coupon , you could certainly slip it in without the other person actually noticing.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:31 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
^^^^^this.

" Hey I got this gift certificate for a dinner for two at this nice restaurant downtown, I haven't been there yet. We should go and try it out this weekend"

Spin it the right way and it's not a big deal. If that's a problem to the girl, she's not worth your time anyways.
Versus, "We have to go to Arby's because I have a coupon for 3 Beef and Cheddars for the price of 2."

That's never going to be a panty-dropper.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:32 PM

270 posts, read 409,474 times
Quote:
You are not worth full price? Where the do you get this stuff?
Hmm, this is a stupid response to my comment, but I'll play along and treat it with the respect it probably doesn't deserve.

The person paying clearly doesn't want to pay full price if they're using a coupon to avoid paying full price. So either they can't afford to pay full price or they simply don't want to. If they don't want to, the statement is that the invitee isn't worth the full price. Why is this a head slapper to you?

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlilac View Post
Alpha males rather spend their time earning money than saving money.
Not all alpha males are stupid..

Quote:
I'd cut the in-between some slack.

My DH and I were both poor when we started dating. Mostly we split the bill, or went to cheaper restaurants.

On our first date we went to a nice Italian restaurant. I tried to be reasonable with what I ordered, but I think I would have felt differently if there was a coupon.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:34 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Obviously things like Groupon are pretty mainstream now, so I don't see the big deal. The only thing that would be weird if the coupon has restrictions: like, if she orders off the dining room menu but the groupon is only good for the bar menu, do you say something? That's when it gets weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships