Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:11 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,845,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Um...we all are looking for someone that there is mutual physical attraction, as WELL as "someone they get along with". Why on earth would you think that older people don't experience or want physical attraction??
Yep need some form of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 09:31 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
If there is no spark then we are just friends.

I won't live with the spark!

Old 06-03-2012, 09:40 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,042 times
I can't imagine not having a spark. Since when does attraction and sexy vibes stop with a certain age?

Stepka, you are a gorgeous woman who looks like Meryl Streep...holdout for that spark.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:44 PM

199 posts, read 391,140 times
Dating at ANY age is so confusing.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
If all the two of you want is someone to date/companionship, great. You have that. The problem will creep up when one or the other of you want more.

Talk to him and see what he wants. Just be honest and tell him how you feel too.

And you never get too old for the spark.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:12 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
went extremely well except for one thing--no spark. He hugged but didn't kiss me good night either time and I was relieved. Trouble is, everything else about him is perfect--we talked quite a lot and got along well. He is texting and seems to want to see me again, but after 2 dates with no spark, I just don't want to lead him on. Should I tell him when he asks again? Now? See him again anyway and see if he grows on me? He's too nice of a person to play games with.
I don't understand the "play games" comment. I've never played any games with men...and find it odd that you would think it necessary. Be honest, and be yourself.

As far as the "no spark"...I was in a very similar situation a few years ago. The guy was really nice, and reasonably attractive, and I went out with him because he WAS so very nice...even though I didn't feel any chemistry. I ended up going with him a few times to see if something could ignite a spark...(NOT to play games!)...but it was not to be. I told him that we just did not click, and that was that. I still see him at parties...(he is a friend of a friend) and he always gives me a big hug...so all have survived.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:18 PM

461 posts, read 782,366 times
Hmmm, I'm 28 and I think the 'spark' is overrated. I've always had long term relationships with the sparks but never wanted to marry them because there were too many differences that eventually drove me away. I'm still on the fence about this, of course it's important to be attracted no matter what age but perhaps we need to look at ourselves and see what is it that sparks us? Is it that they fill a gap in our lives, something we lack, which is good but can lead to conflict.
Shouldn't we as we get older fill in those gaps ourselves and look for a true partner? That's what I find myself doing. I'd like someone to compliment me yet share the same principles and vision of the future. I don't expect butterflies and sparks everyday with a man I was in a relationship with. I would expect respect, honesty and a sense that he has my back and is as devoted to us as I am. I strive for the quiet, deep relationship with that certain knowing.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:19 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,439 times
I don't get this whole "spark" thing..... <must just be me???> but then again.... I had "sparks" with a guy a long long time ago, and it ended really really BAD! (abusive)

As a result, how can I have "sparks" with somebody I BARELY KNOW??????

I suspect the whole "sparks" thing is just a justification for LUST!

I'm not interested in lust. I'm interested in finding a life long COMPATIBLE SOUL MATE.

<love grows slowly>

Old 06-03-2012, 10:44 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
The "spark" takes more time. It is like starting a cold, older car, as opposed to firing up the Mustang. But once you get it going, it will get you where you want to go. If you are looking for that spark, it is not gonna happen. But it will be a long, enjoyable ride with someone if you sahre interests.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:04 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
It just requires time and finding social outlets. Make friends with a variety of people of both genders and mix it up with different age groups. Skip dating until you feel the spark.
I'm rather favoring this approach and have been accepting invitations from smaller groups of people who are going out and doing fun stuff. That's how I met this man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I would be happy with any guy who was interesting and compatible. Sparks come later. You also have to consider that you may be holding back emotionally out of fear - of being hurt, being rejected, just not wanting to go through it all again.
I have considered that this could be part of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I wouldn't be expecting a spark. If you are over 50 most likely your hormones are not going to provide you with the "urge" to reproduce that we feel in our 20s, which is more commonly known as being "crazy in love" with someone. If you find someone you like, get along with, have similar interests and values, I'd say you are doing better than most.

Just be open and honest with him and tell him you aren't interested in sex, at least not at this time, leaving your options open, because you never know what the future could hold.

20yrsinBranson
I also like this option but honey, I'm still as full of hormones as I was at 18. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Stepka, I agree with this. You're a little nebulous with the "I didn't feel the spark" comment. There's a wide range there. Is the guy just physically repulsive to you (fat, ugly, slovenly), or is he reasonable looking but you just don't find him sexy?

If the man is intelligent, interesting, witty and you're compatible, I would really just give it time. Most men I've known in my life I never felt an instant spark to-- it took some time. And many I felt sexually attracted to were such a-holes that the spark lasted all of 16 seconds.

Since you seem to like him, give it several more dates and see if things improve. If you still have no attraction for him, at least you have gained a new friend. That's not bad!
I think by feel the spark, I mean do I have the desire to kiss him? I was relieved when he didn't and part of the problem is my allergies were kind of going crazy and I wouldn't have kissed me either. Also, with the spark, at this age I sort of know what feeling I'm looking for in a date and I sometimes feel that feeling with other men but either they're not interested in me or they're married but I'm not going to date married men, spark or not. He's not repulsive at all--he's nice looking and I like everything about him. I do like the idea of just keeping it light for now and hanging out with groups. And I know what you mean about fireworks--yeah I've had that too and with some pretty inappropriate men. Something between kissing my brother and kissing a frog would be nice.

You guys were sweet about my picture but that was taken a year and a half ago and I've had a lot of stress since then and I think it aged me 5 years. Men don't check me out as much as they did even just a year ago. I should probably go to bed and get more sleep lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships