Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:38 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,987,362 times

Advertisements

This guy around my work area asked me on a lunch date and I am thinking about cancelling.

I work in the financial district in Manhattan. So I am pretty sure women encounter this type of interaction on a daily basis.

He introduced himself to me and then made some of the following comments:

“Have you ever dated a Stockbroker before?” Extreme emphasis when he said the word. He must have told me about 15 times during our twenty minute conversation that he was a Stockbroker.

“I make multi-million dollar deals on a daily basis”

"I'm going to show you what it's like to date a Stockbroker". Extreme emphasis once again.

Then some awkward questioning:

Him: “When do you want to marry me?”

Me: “Excuse me?”

Him: “When do you want to get married”

I had heard the first question he asked, but was in disbelief that he asked me something so ludicrous.

I wasn’t impressed but I exchange numbers with him. Why? Don’t even ask.

For some reason I seem to think first impressions don’t hold true, so I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don’t want to go to lunch with him. I don’t like he tried to use his occupation to impress me after some thinking over the weekend. It's actually a red flag to me.

How do I cancel this date?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:41 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Call him up and tell him...

"you know, I've thought about it...and I'm really not interested in dating a stockbroker, but thank you for the invite anyway"

What a weirdo. LOL

Old 06-18-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Call him up and tell him...

"you know, I've thought about it...and I'm really not interested in dating a stockbroker, but thank you for the invite anyway"

What a weirdo. LOL
Yes! I just dated one of those. I can't do it again.

Is a text okay? I'm in a cubicle and I don't want to be too loud.

I can always step outside though.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:43 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,239,564 times
Stockbrokers still talk like that?? Good grief. Just call him and cancel. Be honest...you feel there is no compatability. Ya know, you could have avoided all this if you didn't exchange numbers lol

Old 06-18-2012, 08:45 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,325,014 times
Stand him up and don't answer his calls

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Freak show. Seriously. Any way you see fit to cancel the date works for me. I say a text is fine for a first date. You owe this guy NOTHING.

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Ew. It totally sounds like he thinks he's doing you a favor. I kept expecting the next comment to be, "I wanna take you out for a steak dinner."

I would just be vague; tell him you hate to cancel at the last minute but something came up and you can't make it. THEN do not say anything to indicate a future interaction, like "Let's try again another time!" Just say something like, "Thanks for asking!" or "Have a great day!" and hang up. Don't worry about it. Be thankful you have good instincts.

If you want to talk to him like a STOCKBROKER , you could tell him you're selling short.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:47 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Yes, definitely call. Just explain that you aren't all that interested afterall and it's pointless to waste your time and his.

It's odd that he thinks his value as a date is that he is a stockbroker. I guess he doesn't believe he has any other qualities that a woman would like.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Ew. It totally sounds like he thinks he's doing you a favor. I kept expecting the next comment to be, "I wanna take you out for a steak dinner."

I would just be vague; tell him you hate to cancel at the last minute but something came up and you can't make it. THEN do not say anything to indicate a future interaction, like "Let's try again another time!" Just say something like, "Thanks for asking!" or "Have a great day!" and hang up. Don't worry about it. Be thankful you have good instincts.

If you want to talk to him like a STOCKBROKER , you could tell him you're selling short.
Brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Stockbrokers still talk like that?? Good grief. Just call him and cancel. Be honest...you feel there is no compatability. Ya know, you could have avoided all this if you didn't exchange numbers lol
It's horrible isn't it??

Thanks guys!

My co-worker was telling me to just go and take the free lunch. I frankly don't think it's worth it.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:57 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,239,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Brilliant!

It's horrible isn't it??

Thanks guys!

My co-worker was telling me to just go and take the free lunch. I frankly don't think it's worth it.
No, don't do it. I don't think I'd be able to eat and have to listen to his nonsense. He just reminded me of the movie The Wedding Singer. The guy Drew Barrymore was engaged to was a stockbroker and he was so arrogant lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships