Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 05:33 PM

283 posts, read 1,384,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
lol- those who really think they are all that should visit Europe and SOBE more..... the point that dr. made was, many of the trophy wives had sold out- he was surprised at how little beauty could buy, in the long run....
Ok and now what do you mean by this? That European people have it right. That there has to be something more than looks to a person if not than that person isn't beautiful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 09:44 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexi-in-Arlington-Heights View Post
Ok and now what do you mean by this? That European people have it right. That there has to be something more than looks to a person if not than that person isn't beautiful?
I didn't see anything in sunny's post that would suggest that European people have it "right". We are in a thread labeled "highly attractive" which of course is subjective, but I'm sure most of us have an idea of what is typically considered "highly attractive". No one was talking about how beautiful people are on the inside because that is a whole other subject. Sunny probably referenced Europe because there tends to be a higher proportion of people who fit the "highly attractive" bill throughout Europe. In comparison, the US has a higher proportion of no-so-attractive folks. No one said that the Europeans had the corner market on attractiveness; there is beauty to be found in every corner of this earth!

Weren't you the one who started a thread about sleeping with a hooker when you were in Amsterdam? Did you look for "something more than looks" when you propositioned her? If it wasn't you who started that thread then I am ever so sorry and hope you take no offense.

I believe every person has something that is beautiful about them - every last one. We are all children of God; let's love one another, k?

Old 09-27-2007, 11:01 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
I'm going to weigh in here. I'm considered to be "highly attractive" by both myself and other people. I can't speak for other highly attractive people, so this is only a desc. of my feelings.

It sucks, but I wouldn't give it up. I'm a genuinely nice guy with a big heart. However, I'm "typed" because of my looks. "Oh, you know THAT type" "Watch out for him, once he gets what he wants he's done with you". It's truly an interesting duality. On the surface, I'm treated well, given attention (and unlike some people I LOVE the appreciative glances), and frequently singled out for promotions, etc. On the flip side: friendships with other gay men are horribly difficult. In fact, I have none. Either they are jealous of me and I magnify their insecurities; or they get upset whenever I date or sleep with someone else. Not to mention that I almost NEVER get approached by someone with romantic interest. They'll give me "two-dollar" stares across a room all night, but god forbid they have the self confidence to approach me. AND many times if I approach someone they have themselves so convinced that they are out of my league and that I'm not interested in them THAT way I lose interest due to their wishy-washy attitude.

Wow. That was cathartic. Can't say stuff like that to friends; they just tell me I'm a jerk for complaining about being pretty

Old 09-27-2007, 12:24 PM

283 posts, read 1,384,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I didn't see anything in sunny's post that would suggest that European people have it "right". We are in a thread labeled "highly attractive" which of course is subjective, but I'm sure most of us have an idea of what is typically considered "highly attractive". No one was talking about how beautiful people are on the inside because that is a whole other subject. Sunny probably referenced Europe because there tends to be a higher proportion of people who fit the "highly attractive" bill throughout Europe. In comparison, the US has a higher proportion of no-so-attractive folks. No one said that the Europeans had the corner market on attractiveness; there is beauty to be found in every corner of this earth!

Weren't you the one who started a thread about sleeping with a hooker when you were in Amsterdam? Did you look for "something more than looks" when you propositioned her? If it wasn't you who started that thread then I am ever so sorry and hope you take no offense.

I believe every person has something that is beautiful about them - every last one. We are all children of God; let's love one another, k?
Ok now i understand. Yes I was the one with who slept with a hooker...thxs for reminding me

Old 09-27-2007, 01:59 PM

63 posts, read 149,504 times
if they know they are highy attractive it shows. I call them stuck up people. Ugliness inside.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:24 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
Here are my observations on very attractive people:

Attractive people often do get preferential treatment (free stuff, people doing things for them, etc.). There is also research that shows that they get better paying jobs. They get more attention and people are often more likely to listen to them when they speak (in a public speaking environment). However if their wits/personality doesn’t match their looks, people will give much harsher criticism (behind their backs) maybe due to jealousy. It is often easy for them to make friends but the relationships are often superficial and it’s hard for them to meet people who are real friends. It is also easier for them to make enemies (back to jealousy). It is easier for them to get dates but it’s often not out of real interest in the person but rather out of selfishness by the person going out with them (want to be seen with a “hot†girl/guy, want sex, bragging rights, etc.). Attractive people also get stared at all the time and others tend to try to find any flaw that they can with the person.

Some attractive people eat up the attention and use it to their advantage. These people are often conceited and don’t work very hard at making themselves well-rounded people. There are many attractive people who struggle to work on other qualities (brains, sense of humor, career, athleticism, etc.) to prove that they are more than just a pretty face and they often find themselves wondering who really likes them for who they are and not what they look like. There are a small handful that are oblivious to how attractive they are.
Wow. What you said there makes perfect sense!

Old 09-27-2007, 03:25 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieHog View Post
if they know they are highy attractive it shows. I call them stuck up people. Ugliness inside.
You beat me to it

Old 09-27-2007, 04:17 PM

672 posts, read 2,125,614 times
Well, I just consider myself an average looking guy, pretty much. I really do enjoy seeing people that are highly attractive though. But, I will admit to being intimidated by their looks sometimes. For instance, I have seen women who I thought were so beautiful, that there was no way on this earth I would ever ask them out for a date. And, Ive seen men who I felt that I could never compete with for a date with a certain woman. I think a lot of people probably have felt like this at times. I could be wrong, but I think thats pretty common. Most people seem to agree though, that its whats inside a persons heart that really matters. And when it comes to being dissatified with our looks, we all might do well to remember the old proverb about the man who complained because he had no shoes, until he met the man who had no feet. Thats my opinion.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:54 PM

261 posts, read 621,713 times
I have dated some very attractive women. My observation is that they often suffer from lower self-esteem and more insecurities than average looking people. One of them was often asked if she was a model and she always struggled with her looks. Hard to believe, but I find it to be common.

Had a guy friend that was very good-looking and use to getting lots of attention from women.

One night, we went out and were at a club for about 15 minutes when he came running up to me and said,"Hey, what's wrong with these women?! None of them are looking at me!" This is a true story, I promise.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:23 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
This is an interesting subject. I find people professional jobs for a living. In my experience, I will say that highly attractive people fare better in the job market. At least if their hiring manager is of the opposite sex. I think highly attractive women have a rough time with other women. I have a highly attractive friend. The sort of person that no one would say is not really attactive. When we go out for to a nightclub, she gets really shoddy service from women bartenders or waitstaff. When we're together, I'm the one who has to go to the bar, summons the waitress, etc. However, if the servers are men, we get preferential treatment. She's so attractive that her company had to take her photo off of their website because it resulted in her getting stalked by men who fell upon her photo on the site! Some were waiting at the building entrance for her to exit work, sending flowers to her office, etc. She's been attacked once in a parking garage by a man, asked out by a NFL football player, completey harrased when she went to Italy on vacation and so on and so on. On the upside, she's got a great job, gets out of any traffic tickets (if the cops are men) and is a truly genetically blessed person who is one of the kindest and most genuine people that I know. For men, I think it's better. Men by nature, are not jealous like women and extremely good looking men are treated well by both sexes. I once dated a man for 3 years that was very attractive and he was always hit on by women and gay men. He wasn't gay, but gay men just loved him. He got used to it. I once had a gay man ask me if we were together or if he was a friend of mine, lol! He was in sales, and needless to say, did very well with females. Ever see that Saturday Night Live skit where an ugly guy compliments a woman at work and she runs to HR to file a sexual harrassment suit? Later on the same day, a really cute man at work pays her a compliment and she gets all coy and giggly? I think that's the way world works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships