Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 10:11 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,260,315 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on separate vs. joint accounts in marriage?

Me and my DH differ so much on how we manage money that it's causing a lot of strife. He has a lot of debt and recently surprised me with 5k in credit debt which I had to go into our savings to pay off. Also, he is not bringing in a lot of money, he makes less than 30k a year and is almost 30 years old and we live in one of the highest cost of living cities in the country. I was reading a Suze Orman article today in which she suggests, having both separate and joint accounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 10:35 AM

349 posts, read 616,793 times
OMG SEPARATE ACCOUNTS.

Don't make my mistake. Keep it separated.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 AM

34,119 posts, read 83,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Me and my DH differ so much on how we manage money that it's causing a lot of strife.
He has a lot of debt...
recently surprised me with 5k in credit debt which I had to go into our savings to pay off.
...not bringing in a lot of money
....less than 30k a year and is almost 30 years old
we live in one of the highest cost of living cities in the country.
Money issues are at the root of far more divorces than sex ever will be.
All of these matters should have been settled before you got married.
Quote:
What are your thoughts on separate vs. joint accounts in marriage?
Best of luck to you.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:42 AM

270 posts, read 410,007 times
Definitely separate accounts. BUT ... depending on what state you're in, that may not help you at all if he gets into serious financial trouble. As his spouse, you may be held accountable for all of his debt. Before you do anything, you should talk to an attorney and find out what the laws are like in your state. Separate accounts may keep you from killing each other, but it may not protect you financially.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:45 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,681,283 times
Im a bank manager. What I always suggest is to have one joint for bills and such and then each have a seperate acct that your paycheck goes into that way YOU control YOUR own money. If his account goes negative then his and his only paycheck is what should bring it into the + I had a young lady the other day, 20, who added her bf as joint and he overdrew the account and she was so upest that when her direct deposit came in we took HER money to pay HIS overdraft. Lol. Silly rabbit.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:47 AM

815 posts, read 738,378 times
If you want to have a joint account for bills and things like that, that's one thing, but you should each have your own account as well and put a good amount of your income in it.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:05 AM

20 posts, read 84,308 times
My wife and I have always shared an account. And speaking truthfully, I've always found it odd when married couples have seperate accounts. We always discuss the big purchases together and make sure that if one person spends money on something that they want, the other person gets to as well. It's worked well for us so far.

And my wife is a SAHM, so her account wouldn't be very large, lol.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:07 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,260,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Money issues are at the root of far more divorces than sex ever will be.
All of these matters should have been settled before you got married.

Best of luck to you.
We are married NOW and have been for several years. So what is the point of this comment?

Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,158,322 times
My wife and i have joint bank accounts, we have for about 15 years.

She puts about 7-8% of her wages into a separate account and i put 25% of mine (this equates to the same amount in £s as she earns roughly 4 times what i do). The system works very well. As i'm away a lot all the bills get paid, we have no loans or debts (mortgage is payed) and every other month 50% of what's left in the bank gets put in a joint savings plan/invested.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:11 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,613,491 times
it depends if youre married or talking about a room mate situation. ill never understand the greedy/me always first attitude so many people display. money aint sh1t if you cant share it with the ones you love. But then again, marriage has become pretty much a joke, a relationship with a piece of paper that crumbles at first sign of trouble in most cases. Do what works for you and dont be greedy and selfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships