Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:11 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
It's only courtesy/politeness, and courtesy/politeness is a positive thing...
There was another thread, fairly recently, about whether you should respond to everyone that emails you on a dating site. I seem to recall most said the polite thing to do is send a message back even just to say you're not interested.

So, given that everyone's preferences are different, you are damned if you do, damned if you don't. But if someone replies and says "not interested", at least you're not left hanging. But there is absolutely zero excuse to reply further and be rude, just so you can reject someone who has already rejected you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 11:28 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
There was another thread, fairly recently, about whether you should respond to everyone that emails you on a dating site. I seem to recall most said the polite thing to do is send a message back even just to say you're not interested.

So, given that everyone's preferences are different, you are damned if you do, damned if you don't. But if someone replies and says "not interested", at least you're not left hanging. But there is absolutely zero excuse to reply further and be rude, just so you can reject someone who has already rejected you.
Everyone has different preferences with regard to this, I agree. In fact, my own vary greatly depending on the circumstance. Sometimes I just toss up my hands and wonder "Why did he even bother?" with some of the emails I have gotten. But, whatever my feeling, I appreciate the recognition of my humanity and the effort that goes into formulating even the most basic response. Dating is awkward in general, and online dating is even more so. Lashing out at someone who is trying to conduct themself as best they can is terribly warped.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:52 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,215,671 times
I don't know which site the OP is using, but I'm guessing he could get banned if enough women report him. It might be for the best anyway.

I don't see anything wrong with not replying to an initial email, but the OP mentioned a back and forth which ended with the woman telling him she wasn't interested. That seems like common courtesy to me. Back when I was online dating I would rather a woman tell me she wasn't interested after we exchanged a few emails instead of just ignoring me. As was mentioned earlier, the OP should put it in his profile that if a woman isn't interested in dating him, don't return his email. And even if a woman sends him something that he doesn't like, being nasty isn't going to do anything for him.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:06 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times
Wait.. you cussed out someone because she told you she wasn't interested? You said she wanted a friend and apparently she changed her mind. How crude and rude of you

I met a man online and we sent emails and even talked on the phone. He was very demanding and wanted me to drive almost 2 hours to meet him and he was only going to drive 30 minutes. He called me before 7 am saying he had to meet me.

He accused me of not answering my phone, when he was dialing the wrong number. Plus he called me 'sweetie' and 'baby' which is a pet peeve of mine, when we have never met, I think it is a bit too personaly

Well, I sent him an email telling him it wasn't going to work out. I was nice about it too.

He just kept sending me more and more emails. Honestly, that type of behavior is a precursor to stalking

Old 06-25-2012, 03:08 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
How bout this message I got from a female this morning after a sending a message last night

"Sorry but I don't find you attractive at all"

Now she was just plain wrong, horrible thing to say to someone. Of course I told her off.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
How bout this message I got from a female this morning after a sending a message last night

Now she was just plain wrong, horrible thing to say to someone. Of course I told her off.
I'm curious - what message did you send her originally?

Old 06-25-2012, 03:34 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,080,437 times
Quote:

Maybe she is friends with one of these girls you've been rude to?

Old 06-25-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Maybe she is friends with one of these girls you've been rude to?
Ooh, yeah. My friends and I on the same dating site get approached by the same guys all the time - we have the whack jobs flagged well in advance.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:37 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,949,691 times
Quote:
I was reading this woman's profile online and she stated she was currently seeing someone she met from the line and that she is only looking for activity partners and new friends so she can go to things like

Live concerts, dollar strolls, and other live events in the city

So is this her sneaky way of looking for someone else to sleep with besides her boyfriend? She stated her boyfriend works on the weekends and she has a lot of free time because of that.

Hidden Agenda? Why would I want my girlfriend spending time with other men just because I work on the weekends???
Hell yes it's a hidden agenda. If she's currently seeing someone.. she's NOT single! Turn The Page brother!

Old 06-25-2012, 03:47 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm curious - what message did you send her originally?
I said

" I see you love live musical events like I do along with public movie showings at the waterfront. I heard there will be tons of events at the waterfront in July. I';m a huge fan of jazz events and I was curious to know what are some of your favorite jazz artists"

That's when she came back with...."I don't find you attractive at all"

I don't think that's something you want to say to a man when you both live in the same city, not smart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships