Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 08:01 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,808,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I know you were trying to help, hopefully he'll reread what you wrote and see that more clearly

I find it disturbing that more and more young people, (or maybe it's just some of the young people here), seem to have so few coping skills for dealing with these normal bumps in the road of life.

Just wondering if this isn't another destructive downside to the internet and social media?
ahahahahahaha... another 'Morning Laugh' Pat. Pend.

Normal bumps, huh? What would you consider an eleven-year bone dry stretch? A 'normal bump'? How about a gigantic pothole? What say you on this one? What about the guy who cannot even get a simple lunch date AND on top of it to hear whiny snivelling little 'excuses' such as 'oh, my ex-hubby did me SO wrong' or 'I'm a better friend than anything else' or this gem 'it's not you it's ME'. And so forth. Yeah, normal bumps.

OP, you're right. That's it. The hell with those little chemical reactions in the head, aka 'love'. Hell, I'm 43... way too old and way too washed up. Time to just accept the truth... unwanted and always will be unwanted by women. Trash. Garbage. Worthy of the rubbish heap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,074,297 times
Quote:
I find it disturbing that more and more young people, (or maybe it's just some of the young people here), seem to have so few coping skills for dealing with these normal bumps in the road of life.

Just wondering if this isn't another destructive downside to the internet and social media?
That, but I think also helicopter parents, and the ones that praise and boost their child's self-esteem through the roof over nothing, are also responsible. They're given everything, everything is done for them, they're the best and most wonderful, always "winning", so when they have the tiniest hiccup in life, it becomes a monumental disaster. And we're seeing the byproduct of that in young people who can't cope with any sort of rejection and realize it's character building and a part of real life.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:33 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,856,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
ahahahahahaha... another 'Morning Laugh' Pat. Pend.

Normal bumps, huh? What would you consider an eleven-year bone dry stretch? A 'normal bump'? How about a gigantic pothole? What say you on this one? What about the guy who cannot even get a simple lunch date AND on top of it to hear whiny snivelling little 'excuses' such as 'oh, my ex-hubby did me SO wrong' or 'I'm a better friend than anything else' or this gem 'it's not you it's ME'. And so forth. Yeah, normal bumps.

OP, you're right. That's it. The hell with those little chemical reactions in the head, aka 'love'. Hell, I'm 43... way too old and way too washed up. Time to just accept the truth... unwanted and always will be unwanted by women. Trash. Garbage. Worthy of the rubbish heap.

The tantrum in your last paragraph has NOTHING to do with what I was talking about - good grief.

The breakup of a dating relationship is a normal event in the life of most people at least ONCE in their lives, which is what I was referring to when I used the term "bumps in the road".

Having coping skills which allow you to face all of life's challenges is what separates the men from the boys.

Not sure why you think that is funny

Last edited by lovesMountains; 07-24-2012 at 08:42 AM..

Old 07-24-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
That, but I think also helicopter parents, and the ones that praise and boost their child's self-esteem through the roof over nothing, are also responsible. They're given everything, everything is done for them, they're the best and most wonderful, always "winning", so when they have the tiniest hiccup in life, it becomes a monumental disaster. And we're seeing the byproduct of that in young people who can't cope with any sort of rejection and realize it's character building and a part of real life.
Well said, and I completely agree that WAY too many of my fellow parents out there have failed miserably at preparing their kids to survive in the real world.

We have more whiny 20 and even 30-somethings () out there than in any other generation of the past. It's pretty sad, and disgusting.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:38 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,808,929 times
Quote:
The tantrum in your last paragraph has NOTHING to do with what I was talking about - good grief.

The breakup of a dating relationship is a normal event in the life of most people at least ONCE in their lives, which is what I was referring to when I used the term "bumps in the road".

Having coping skills which allow you to face all of life's challenges is what separates the men from the boys.

Not sure why you think that is funny
What's funny is people bitching and moaning 'ohhhh... I haven't had sex in two months' or 'gaaaah, no girlfriend (boyfriend) in a year'... whatever. These people don't know **** about anything. Like I've said... try ELEVEN YEARS! ELEVEN YEARS of not being able to even touch a woman. ELEVEN YEARS of no intimacy. ELEVEN YEARS of being alone with ZERO prospects. ELEVEN YEARS of absolutely nothing when it comes to women period.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:14 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,824,046 times
Quote:
Well said, and I completely agree that WAY too many of my fellow parents out there have failed miserably at preparing their kids to survive in the real world.

We have more whiny 20 and even 30-somethings () out there than in any other generation of the past. It's pretty sad, and disgusting.
Figures, pulling the age card because someone younger than you verbalizes their frustration and you call them a whiner. Newsflash, the real world done changed and this is the way it is.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Figures, pulling the age card because someone younger than you verbalizes their frustration and you call them a whiner. Newsflash, the real world done changed and this is the way it is.
Everyone gets frustrated at one time or another with their relationship or relationship status and needs to vent, that's life.

But anyone "verbalizing their frustration" continually without making progress toward getting some kind of resolution is a whiner.

Many on this board are constant whiners. But if the shoe doesn't fit, no need to try to wear it

Old 07-24-2012, 12:50 PM

102,264 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
What's funny is people bitching and moaning 'ohhhh... I haven't had sex in two months' or 'gaaaah, no girlfriend (boyfriend) in a year'... whatever. These people don't know **** about anything. Like I've said... try ELEVEN YEARS! ELEVEN YEARS of not being able to even touch a woman. ELEVEN YEARS of no intimacy. ELEVEN YEARS of being alone with ZERO prospects. ELEVEN YEARS of absolutely nothing when it comes to women period.
So, after 11 years, are you ready to do something different? Try different angles, join groups, explore new areas out of town, look for some new crowds to mingle in? Or were you planning on wasting the next 11 years, as well?

Gonna keep hounding you, rabbit. If you keep whining, I'll keep hounding. Deal?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:01 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,773,630 times
Quote:
11 years? Why not try 31 years of being entirely and wholly girlfriend-less, with not even one single romantic relationship (lol, that would be me)...

I've been there...done that, understand it 100%...and eventually, into the 31st year, after trying, trying, and trying again, finally overcame it, with a very first g/f Surely if I can overcome it after 31 years of romantic rejection rabbit, then certainly you can do it too, and much better and more quickly than I did, to boot?

I have faith in you! Please don't give up on finding love, my friend

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 07-24-2012 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Adds

Old 07-24-2012, 05:31 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,824,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy carrie View Post
OP, i think you're being a great friend to your roommate. I do think this sort of thing needs to be a choice you make for yourself without basing it on someone else. If anything look at your roommate's relationship as what not to do as it didn't sound healthy on either side. Just because someone has a good/bad experience with something doesn't mean you will as well. Having said all that...relationships aren't for everyone, and if your reaction is like mine when I hear a baby continuously screaming at the top of his/her lungs in a store while the harried mother or father (hell, or both!) wrangles the other two siblings all while attempting to get their shopping done--which is, "god, I'm so glad I don't have kids"--I completely understand where you are coming from. I get it too, the "you'll change your mind" and "but you must REALLY want kids, who are you trying to convince here?" It's incredibly annoying and it does feel like, who are these people to tell me what I want and how I feel?

The truth is there is a certain script to life, and those who deviate from the script generally hear those kinds of things. This is because people who DO follow the script literally can't fathom the thought that someone might choose not to. Our "life paths" are drummed into us at a young age. You're supposed to: go to college, or learn a trade, start a career, get married, have kids, go to church, buy a house, advance in your career, etc. People who go against these things in major ways just tend to spark the kind of discussion going on in this thread.
Thank you, someone FINALLY realizes where I'm coming from without taking shots at me, coming off like a mother hen, or making catty remarks and talks to me straight up. A couple of people here could learn something.

My roommate's ordeal is the frosting on a whole cake of reasons why I don't want to love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships