Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 07:26 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,204,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I used to think girls asked guys out all the time in high school...
That Never happened in my HS. And you had situations where girls liked the guy, knew he liked her also but she wouldn't say ANYTHING. Because it wouldve broken the social contract of Guys asking girls. So alot of the time they stayed alone because of that.

It worked out for me because it prepared me for the real world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 07:38 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,093,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
That Never happened in my HS. And you had situations where girls liked the guy, knew he liked her also but she wouldn't say ANYTHING. Because it wouldve broken the social contract of Guys asking girls. So alot of the time they stayed alone because of that.

It worked out for me because it prepared me for the real world
I girl once asked me out, but I wasn't sure if it was a joke, at the time I just assumed it was. I was too shy to give an answer. We were 13 so I guess it was the usual being silly anyway.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:13 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,384,691 times
Yes, I have asked men out. Usually when I am travelling for business. I am alone, want to check out a new place, not too into going out to dinner alone. And, I have a nice dinner budget to blow...already on the company dime. I have had amazing experiences...usually these men are local, or travelling for business like me...everyone knows this is just for a good time, for now...and it has been awesome.

But...the set and setting is completely different from meeting a guy where I live...I can't see myself going to a bar here, and buying a man a drink, and asking him out...I think that would set an odd tone for a relationship...

Old 07-22-2012, 08:17 AM

11,377 posts, read 9,293,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckgrl View Post
What was the outcome and would you do it again?

Men how do you really feel about this?
I've been an adult for almost 40 years. Close to 30 of those years I was (and am) single and unattached.

I was only asked out once for an actual date during the entire time and that was when I used to be on a dating web site. It happened about 5 months ago. I had to turn her down due to no chemistry and the lack of things in common.

I was shocked that she asked because that never happened to me before.

From reading these posts I get the impression that it's okay for a man to be turned down but not a women. Being turned down is part of the dating game. It will happen.

Yes, I would welcome it. It's long overdue. This "men enjoy the chase" is crap to me. I really don't enjoy it and would rather get the feeling it was more mutual. My acceptance percentage for getting a date is extremely low. I could easily see women having a much higher percentage than men do if they did more asking.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:40 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,796,511 times
I think the closest I will ever get to a woman asking me out is one who initiates communication on a dating site. At least as a guy you know there MIGHT be interest. Usually, after they meet me, they change their mind, at least lately. Can't get a second date to save my life. Not making any of the classic guy mistakes either, such as being rude, talking about the ex, not paying for stuff, etc. Lately, the women I'm meeting are either complete flakes or have so many guys after them, they can only fit me in on a Tuesday and I never get a return call. Its f'ing ridiculous. OK, there's my rant going off topic, sorry. Actually, not totally off topic, as women don't have to ask guys out if they're attractive. It is what it is.

I have had a couple women ask me to dance at a club back in the days when I did that, but it went nowhere.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:46 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,739,181 times
Quote:
Im so lonely i'd go on a date with a hippo with the face of a bulldog if she asked me. I'd even cuddle her through the night, but I may have problems if she falls for me.

how is that a compliment or a plus for her? oh, that's right. It's not.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:46 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,201,833 times
I was asked out by a woman 6 weeks ago today, but had to kindly (sadly for me) refuse and sincerely told her it wasn't her and that I was in process of a big move and was way over my head in things to do in the short time I had left before that which was very very true.

But had to say I was happy to have been asked.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Women don't ask out guys, they wait to be asked out, weight their options and take their pick. Of course they're some outliers but for the vast majority of women it's the truth.(maybe not the majority of options, but the not asking out part) We start this in middle school and HS. Look at the prom for example, Girls don't ask guys to the prom, guys ask girls , and we Continue with that model for the rest of our life.

I asked or else I wouldn't have gone, which I told you before. I was not the only girl at my school that had to ask someone either.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:10 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,093,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
how is that a compliment or a plus for her? oh, that's right. It's not.
Well I was responding to the assertion that a guy wouldn't take up an offer from a girl if he didn't find her attractive. I've never been asked out before, I wonder if you know what that feels like?

Old 07-22-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Well I was responding to the assertion that a guy wouldn't take up an offer from a girl if he didn't find her attractive. I've never been asked out before, I wonder if you know what that feels like?

Well I guess he would take up an offer from a girl he didn't find attractive -- but it's an offer to use her. Again, that is not a compliment for a woman. I would rather just be alone if that's my option, to get 'used' by some guy. Please. It appears that men think a woman having the 'bottom of the barrel' option is still a "PLUS!" for her when in reality it's about just as good as no option at all.

did you really just say that last line? Hel-lo! A month or so ago some man attempted to approach me in a grocery store, I can tell you what he was wearing and everything. I remember because it's the only time that has happened in the 32 years I've been alive. So yea, I know how it feels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships