Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:00 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,846,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The cases I know of, the women have the higher education, the men all work in construction. Two of these relationships have worked out long term, one is on the rocks, but they're working on reconciling. In my observation, in all cases, the women are blind to the shortcomings of their husbands. But it works for them, so I guess that's ok.
What do you mean?

And I know of one couple where the woman had a college education and the husband did not. They have been married for a while, and they seem happy, but I know many college educated women tend to prefer and seek out men that have education as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 08:01 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,276,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
I just found out a good friend of mine from HS is pregnant. The guy she is pregnant by comes from a completely different background from her. She grew up in what would be considered an affluent upper middle class suburb, he grew up in an area that might as well be considered the murder capital of the USA(Chicago). She's used to being spoiled, and living a certain way. He has a completely different way of life. However he is nice to her and treats her well, they have things in common, he is going to stick around for the baby. They were only dating for about 4/5 months prior to the pregnancy(but they've known each other about a year so far now). The reason I'm posting this is because I've noticed a lot of girls of my racial background that grew up in a similar upbringing(upper middle, affluent) are dating or marrying men that come from opposite backgrounds but are of similar racial backgrounds. Because I have another friend, that was a college graduate, that married a man from a completely different background without an education. For me, just not having those commonalities seems like it would be difficult to sustain a relationship. But then again I know there are people who've made it work.

I'm wondering if these types of relationships(uneducated with educated, upper middle with working class, etc) ever workout?
I don't know what your racial background is, it seems wierd to me that you have brought race into this equation, but Americans always do.

Why wouldn't it work out? Go to a divorce court one day and see the rows and rows of seemingly perfectly matched couples all lined up to end their marriages. I'd say they have just as much chance as anyone, on the face of things.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:03 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,700,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Chicago is pretty awful. That and like Washington DC have something like the highest number of murders/ year in the US.

Let me look that up actually.

But yeah. Educated and uneducated end up marriend and living good lives all the time.

edit: Actually, according to about 10 minutes of searching, Chicago isn't on any top 10 lists of anything awful, and isn't in the top 25 cities.

But Cincy!! I live close to Cincy, and it's 25! lol
DC used to be the murder capital in the 90s but it has gone way, way down since then thankfully

Old 07-24-2012, 08:06 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,892,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
It's nice to see that people are becoming just people and not so stereotyped.
Hahaha...yep.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:10 PM

541 posts, read 941,678 times
Quote:
I just found out a good friend of mine from HS is pregnant. The guy she is pregnant by comes from a completely different background from her. She grew up in what would be considered an affluent upper middle class suburb, he grew up in an area that might as well be considered the murder capital of the USA(Chicago). She's used to being spoiled, and living a certain way. He has a completely different way of life. However he is nice to her and treats her well, they have things in common, he is going to stick around for the baby. They were only dating for about 4/5 months prior to the pregnancy(but they've known each other about a year so far now). The reason I'm posting this is because I've noticed a lot of girls of my racial background that grew up in a similar upbringing(upper middle, affluent) are dating or marrying men that come from opposite backgrounds but are of similar racial backgrounds. Because I have another friend, that was a college graduate, that married a man from a completely different background without an education. For me, just not having those commonalities seems like it would be difficult to sustain a relationship. But then again I know there are people who've made it work.

I'm wondering if these types of relationships(uneducated with educated, upper middle with working class, etc) ever workout?

new orleans is the murder capital of the usa.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:11 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,846,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahpc122927 View Post
new orleans is the murder capital of the usa.
Ok, well my bad. I know that Chicago has been in the news lately due to all the murders happening in the city. That is the type of environment this guy is from.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:24 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,577,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Chicago is pretty awful. That and like Washington DC have something like the highest number of murders/ year in the US.
What are you talking about? DC is a relatively safe city now in 2012.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:37 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,059,069 times
Quote:

Where I'm from Suburbanites and especially those Suburbanites that move to NYC tend to stick, congregate and mostly socalize among their fellow peers and shun majority of the locals unless the local has a college degree or can jade the suburbanite with drugs or glitz and glam of city life for males or females tricking suburbanites for sex. This is from my experience. It can workout but one has to adapt or conform to the other partner. Will and eduacated woman dumb down for an uneducated guy or will an educated guy go back to school to match his girfriend in the degree field? These are questions that has to be answered. The point is who is bringing home the bacon? I have a BA degree and the women who dated me and who I also courted had only an high school diploma and another one a high school dropout. The women with college degrees are looking for Mr. Hedgefund, thats something I dont have at this very moment.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:51 PM

34,940 posts, read 36,284,905 times
It's not where this guy is from so much as it's HIS values that are the concern. If his and hers align, they have a greater chance of success.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:21 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,082,825 times
Are you talking about success in terms of marriage? Or co-parenting?

Honestly, they haven't known eachother very long and just because he's nice to her and treats her well doesn't mean they should run off and get married. He said he'd "stick around for the baby"...that doesn't exactly scream happily ever after to me. Does she really want to be his obligation or burden???

I've known a few couples who got pregnant first and then decided to "do the right thing" and get married. Things aren't so happily every after for any of them. Some feel stuck, some of the marriages are littered with infidelity, one of them men just out and said he didn't love his wife and never did straight to her face.

My advice to your friend would be to hold off on marriage for at least a year, if not more. If they love eachother a little more time won't hurt to make sure this is the right choice. That will also give them time to determine if their differences will be an issue as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships