Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 07:38 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times

Advertisements

I know its alot different in the US, as its very common to own gun/s.
Interested in hearing from women, who dislike that your partner owns gun/s.
Your reasons why and what helps to lesson your dislike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 09:39 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I had an ex who let me move in before revealing he had several guns in the house. I came across one while I was helping him organize his desk about a week after I moved in. He was responsible in his gun ownership and practiced shooting, but I was livid that he would not reveal that little tidbit before he asked me to live with him.

I currently have a partner who owns guns and recently got his concealed carry permit. He goes target shooting weekly (as I believe all gun owners must do in order to be at all useful with a gun in whatever scenario they believe will require its use) and is very open about having it. I would not choose to have one myself and would rather he did not, but I know he takes the ownership seriously.

Really.. the problem I have with guns isn't the guns themselves but the types of people who tend to own it. That includes having all necessary permits, practicing shooting regularly, keeping it locked up, and letting people who spend a significant amount of time in the house know that it is there. I don't need to know *where* it is, I just don't want to be surprised later on.

And I'm talking handguns or hunting rifles. Anything else and I will very quickly extract myself from their lives. No interest in spending time with someone who feels the need to have more heavy weaponry.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:36 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I have no issues with guns...as long as the guns are kept locked up securely. And don't use my cat as a sight target.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:42 AM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,637 times
I dont have an issue with guns either. Every gun owner isnt a nutjob just because of what is seen in the news.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:16 PM

774 posts, read 2,602,482 times
My GF never put two and two together and was surprised the first time she opened the safe. I was very open about going shooting etc and I'm not sure exactly what she was thinking. One day she was over and I asked her to put some cash in the safe and gave her the numbers. She opened it and came walking back looking at me like I just killed her cat....

She said I never told her i had guns. I asked what she thought I was shooting with all those times I went "shooting"? You could almost see the light bulb go off in her head...

I asked if it mattered and she kinda hesitated.... Long story short. I can't take the LCP away from her these days.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:23 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
I don't like guns at all, but the only guns I've ever shot when I was younger and into my teens were 12 gauges when I went hunting with my uncle, and a BB gun that I was aloud to shoot in town, using cans as target practice, and my dad uses it to shoot wandering cats in the arse.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:32 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I DON'T dislike it, I don't even know where his gun is. He keeps it locked up somewhere. I actually wouldn't mind going shooting with him...

Old 07-29-2012, 12:34 PM

36 posts, read 31,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
I know its alot different in the US, as its very common to own gun/s.
Interested in hearing from women, who dislike that your partner owns gun/s.
Your reasons why and what helps to lesson your dislike.
It shouldn't be if the women dislike men from owning firearms. It should be MEN who don't like women who dislike firearms. Only a fool feels that way. One dead perp in that movie theature SURE of it! What, you can't carry in a movie theature? To hell I can't! I can carry anywhere in the whole State except schools, courtrooms and commercial aircrafts. Better brains say they should have been armed and shot back instead of using their bodies for shields. The pucker factor alone would have made him stop and take cover. Any idiot knows that! You're not a victim.....EVER!!

Old 07-29-2012, 12:38 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I could never own a gun..... IDK, not my thing, not against guns per se...... but definitely not a big fan of them either.

So, I don't really wanna hang with a guns blazing lady...but to each their own.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:40 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Lots of guns in our house. I'm comfortable with them, and a good shot.

I have my own permit, but have not bought one under my name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships