Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 03:49 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,293,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
No offense, but I can do whatever I want, so you don't have the power to prevent me from giving up on myself if I choose to do so.

And on my therapist, I guess I was kind of venting. My visit with him today reassured me that he is helping me. He's a therapist who doesn't tell me what to do, and that is key. I am very hostile to attempts to tell me what to do. When someone tells me what to do, I'm very tempted to not do it just to show them I'm the one in control of my own life, not somebody else running my life.

The reason given that I should stick with this therapist according to him is
1) My being here is one of my only contacts in the world, so it is one of my only sources for feedback which I have the ability to listen to and decide if I like it.
2) Maybe when I choose I'll get something out of what he's said.

Could be manipulation and sweet talk, but I'm not sure about that. It makes sense.

And if this were a therapist who were there telling me what to do and giving me assignments and stuff, I'd probably get mad and quit, and definitely not do any of the stuff he/she tells me to do.

So he's kind of a good fit, if I ever choose to start listening.
Ok so you come on here wanting advice then systematically criticise every single word of it.

You may well be one of those people who are only really happy when they're miserable.

No wonder you can't find a girlfriend. You can't get your face out of the mirror at the pity party long enough.

Successful relationships require giving. You just want to sit back and receive.

Until you actually have something tangible to offer a partner, you will continue to wallow in your own lard of misery and self pity. Don't kid yourself. You enjoy it. You don't have the mental or emotional maturity to give emotionally to ANYONE except yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 03:50 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,956,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Oh well.
Don't complain about the choices you make.
You're getting something out of this or you would change it.

Not the path I'd consider in life, but you must enjoy it on some level.
Yes, I enjoy having things to complain about. Complaining is fun.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:51 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,293,784 times
Close the thread down.

Just another overgrown toddler wanting attention.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He's trapped by his social anxiety, but he's at least motivated enough to look for a good therapist. Finding a good one would be a big step. Potentially life-changing, over time. Good luck, OP.
That's one way of looking at it, being trapped by social anxiety. But only one way of looking at it. The way chielgirl looked at it is another valid way of looking at it, that I enjoy being miserable and complaining.

My therapist says there's always more than one way to look at something.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You are not being rejected by anyone.... by anyone but yourself that is........... I know exactly what you are going through. Rather than face the cold hard slap of rejection, it's much easier to just assume you will be rejected and never take the chance to begin with.
You're right. Being rejected hurts. Being criticized hurts. Being disliked hurts. It's better to be ignored. But then, being ignored hurts too. A catch 22. To stop being ignored, you have to risk being rejected, criticized, and disliked.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:54 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,629,039 times
ask your therapist to prescribe you something for your anxiety issues, there are non addicitve medications out there that are fairly mild and can help you. Figure out wth it is you want.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:55 PM

102,373 posts, read 108,679,282 times
Dav, it's just an internet forum. None of us can make you do anything. Just putting out info and making some potentially helpful suggestions. Good that you discussed with your therapist. If what he says makes sense to you, well, you're the judge, it's your dime. Thanks for the update. I hope it works out for you in the end. Best wishes.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Yes, I enjoy having things to complain about. Complaining is fun.
LOL! Now this is funny! I love the unabashed honesty. Kind of sad, but funny.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
How many appointments did this "twice" entail? Please don't say two.

Therapists don't work like that, their job is to help you figure out WHY you are so shy dealing with people.
They didn't come out and tell you but they did empathize with your problem, they probably have many patients with the same issue, social anxiety is one of the more common mental problems.

Sometimes medication is necessary.

If one therapist doesn't seem to work try another, they have different methods.
Many appointments each time. I think my current therapist is better, because the first one tried to get me to change big things in my life, and I refused, so we got nowhere and I quit. The current one just makes suggestions, primarily about little things, and I guess I've taken a few of his suggestions. He makes sense, it's just my various delusions and myths are strong and so it feels better to reject common sense and stick with my own ways of thinking about things.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
ask your therapist to prescribe you something for your anxiety issues, there are non addicitve medications out there that are fairly mild and can help you. Figure out wth it is you want.
Good point. This is what I don't get. Some of the issue could be successfully addressed with a med. Is the therapist qualified to dispense prescrips, or could he give a referral to a doc, or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships