Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 10:46 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Are you physically unable to stop texting for a half an hour at a time? Do you need to text for medical purposes? How do you not understand this?
Basically, it's an addiction. This is why morons are getting ticketed here for doing it while they are driving. They caught a guy doing it on his motorcycle the other day. Somebody else rammed a car.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:47 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Y'all don't get that people in front of you (known or not) are more pressing than your textie wextie conversation.

YOU were incredibly rude. He was just pointing that out.
Well, in OP, she said he was getting more and more obnoxious and perhaps this precipitated/exacerbated the texting. If somebody I just met 30 minutes ago is being obnoxious to or around me, yeah, I'm going to ignore that person and text my friends. Of course, my friends are a lot more important to me than some douche stranger. I would even interrupt a convo with a stranger who was waiting in line with me somewhere to check my phone as it is 90%+ my good friends and family who text/call me, never know if there's an emergency or they really need my opinion on something.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:11 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Y'all don't get that people in front of you (known or not) are more pressing than your textie wextie conversation.

YOU were incredibly rude. He was just pointing that out.
He was just pointing it out by calling her a b***** and throwing something at her? He should've gotten a drink thrown in his face.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:26 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Super annoying. So unattractive. Way to let the girl know you're crazy.
Unbelievably this has happened to me several times. The last time was at a pub style place a couple of blocks from my home, out with my roommate. These dudes were sending us over rounds of drinks. As I got up to go the bathroom, I thanked them, whatever. Came back and one of the dudes was actually really interesting, cute and non-creepy so when they stopped me I started talking to them. Eventually one of them grabbed my roommate too to join us. We're having a good time, getting tipsy. One of them starts dominating the conversation with me, which I found annoying but whatever he seemed ok. Muscular, guido-ish, attitude. I notice he is slowly getting more obnoxious and he's kind of giving me some attitude as I'm getting a little colder. Meanwhile I'm texting several people as usual.
Then he tries to grab my phone, basically demands to know who I'm speaking to, and accuses me of being a b****. How can you just meet someone and try to grab their phone??? How ridiculous. Crazy alert. So I basically continue ignoring him. Eventually he leaves, but not without throwing rolled up napkins on me on his way out.
I wish I could say this is the first time I just met someone out and they demand to know who I'm speaking to or why I'm on the phone. None of your business! I really cannot understand male behavior.
It appears that you are fortunate that this guy got up and left. Sounds like the more he drank the more obnoxious he got..phone or no phone he was becoming a problem.

I have to say, however, cell phones have become beyond annoying in some instances. I had a party at my home down by the pool. It was a beautiful day, small party, having lots of fun, swimming, cooking, music, a little wine and great conversation. I look over at my son's best friend and he is sitting in a corner, under a tree on the glider with his cell phone texting like a mad man. His wife was at our table doing the same thing. He was laughing all by himself she was not. Perhaps this is the new way to argue in mixed company?? I mentioned to him that he should go in the pool, have something to eat, join the conversation??? No way. RUDE, RUDE, RUDE. He never left the glider the whole time he was at my house AND fell asleep a couple of times..texting has to be exhausting, no? I haven't had them over since.

I understand the situation you were in with this guy at the bar and you were truly lucky he left. I do think he was probably well on his way to hating cell phones long before this episode and even though he was obnoxious about it. I do get it!

Do I text?? Sure. Not at someone elses house, not while driving, not while I am out socially and certainly not while my husband and I are together at dinner, out to dinner, out for a drive or visiting his family. I think we are as people in general losing the art of conversation and it is a shame. Texting is a SAFE form of conversation meaning doesn't matter what you text you don't have to face the other person and get an immediate reaction. Sad

Old 08-18-2012, 05:56 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
Actually I was just being polite by talking to these guys since they were buying me drinks. I was under no obligation to hang out with them. They basically grabbed me on the way from the bathroom. Big mistake. Next time I'll be rude, breeze by and talk to my real friends.

I know a lot of you are a lot older than me and barely text, but we were all around the same age and it's pretty common to check your phone/respond to messages when out.
Okay, we may not text much, but good manners are consistent. Doesn't matter if you're used to doing x,y, or z. You were rude.

And to say you were just being nice to the guys? If you accept a drink, then you are pretty well obligated to thank them. Thanking them means talking to them. Half of the game of going out is to see if someone interesting shows up. People buy one another drinks as a way to get an introduction.

Just like any sport or game, social life in a pub has rules. Granted the guy broke a lot of rules, too. But you're guilty of thinking and behaving like an entitled brat.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:06 AM

670 posts, read 905,506 times
Quote:
Super annoying. So unattractive. Way to let the girl know you're crazy.

Unbelievably this has happened to me several times. The last time was at a pub style place a couple of blocks from my home, out with my roommate. These dudes were sending us over rounds of drinks. As I got up to go the bathroom, I thanked them, whatever. Came back and one of the dudes was actually really interesting, cute and non-creepy so when they stopped me I started talking to them. Eventually one of them grabbed my roommate too to join us. We're having a good time, getting tipsy. One of them starts dominating the conversation with me, which I found annoying but whatever he seemed ok. Muscular, guido-ish, attitude. I notice he is slowly getting more obnoxious and he's kind of giving me some attitude as I'm getting a little colder. Meanwhile I'm texting several people as usual.

Then he tries to grab my phone, basically demands to know who I'm speaking to, and accuses me of being a b****. How can you just meet someone and try to grab their phone??? How ridiculous. Crazy alert. So I basically continue ignoring him. Eventually he leaves, but not without throwing rolled up napkins on me on his way out.

I wish I could say this is the first time I just met someone out and they demand to know who I'm speaking to or why I'm on the phone. None of your business! I really cannot understand male behavior.
Three words come to mind. Drunk, immature, rude. That goes for you and him. One other thing, a silly pointless post when you think of it.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:17 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
How did we ever survive without cell phones and texting?

It is totally rude whether it is a group of people, or one on one or whatever the circumstances. If you made a confirmation to be with a group of people at a certain time for a certain time - THEN DAMN WELL BE THERE! That means in body and attention. You are telling everyone around you that no one is as important as you and your personal business. Your social life will start to dwindle completely and the next you'll posting as to why and spending all your time waking up, eating and literally sleeping with your cell phone and texting you won't even notice you have cut actual living humans out of your life completely....and then you'll be posting wondering why.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:32 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,109 times
Any man who calls you names after meeting you for 30 minutes is either crazy or violent. RUN

Old 08-18-2012, 08:02 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Well, in OP, she said he was getting more and more obnoxious and perhaps this precipitated/exacerbated the texting. If somebody I just met 30 minutes ago is being obnoxious to or around me, yeah, I'm going to ignore that person and text my friends. Of course, my friends are a lot more important to me than some douche stranger. I would even interrupt a convo with a stranger who was waiting in line with me somewhere to check my phone as it is 90%+ my good friends and family who text/call me, never know if there's an emergency or they really need my opinion on something.
Lol...I am not saying the guy was a champ or anything.
But if you read the op, she said she was texting...like she always does.
Not just because he was being dicky.
And what are you, superman? Someone has a giant emergency...first of all, why don't they call instead of text? And then what happens if you don't look at it in the first 2 seconds of it happening? Does the world explode? Are you able to actually do anything in that first five minutes that would make ANY difference whatsoever? Doubtful.

I just don't understand what the pressure is to be instantly responsive. Why can't a text wait a minute or hour or whatever? Just because it can appear instantly does not meant it has to be answered instantly. I mean, geez...do you answer your texts on the toilet or in the shower, too? While having sex? How on earth do you survive sitting on an airplane?!

Old 08-18-2012, 08:40 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm starting to sound like an old goat over here... but I'm continually surprised as to what passes as as "normal" behavior now.

I ain'ts all that old either...
Hahaha! My little sister calls me out on my texting all the time. It is pretty rare. Pretty much only when we are waiting to meet someone else. Last night we were in line for the bathroom, and I responded to a text to confirm plans for today. "Why do you have your phone out?!!!!"

We call each other on it. But we are siblings. It is different. :P I do the same to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.