Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 08:39 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
With all due respect intended, I believe my words are being twisted to mean something I didn't mean...my comment about paralysis and physical disability was in the context of the earlier post comment of "Anybody can get a wo/man", in which the poster was listing various perceived undesirable traits about an example person, among them, dirtiness, poverty, and mental illness.

My point was, as much as people would like to think that anyone can get a romantic partner under any potential circumstance, that is sadly very likely not true, paralysis being among one of the conditions that would make it significantly even less so...no need to split hairs though...

ETA: I was trying to make a point largely against social Darwinism...
you still don't get it. we got your intended point. it was such a terrible way to make it that your argument in fact detracted from your point

regardless of how badly you think shyness handicaps you in the dating world, it's a bad idea to try to make your point by making an analogy with paralysis. any reasonable person sees right through this attempt to piggyback on the sympathy reserved for such sad, disabling and permanent conditions

if you weren't so single minded complaining about how shy guys get the shaft you would see how sad and unconvincing this comparison is to most people

sure i can feel compassion for shyness. it can really suck. but that compassion is dwarfed by my compassion for someone who, say, had their spine severed by a drunk driver. bringing up the latter makes my sympathy for the former seem insignificant

Old 08-23-2012, 09:31 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
you still don't get it. we got your intended point. it was such a terrible way to make it that your argument in fact detracted from your point

regardless of how badly you think shyness handicaps you in the dating world, it's a bad idea to try to make your point by making an analogy with paralysis. any reasonable person sees right through this attempt to piggyback on the sympathy reserved for such sad, disabling and permanent conditions

if you weren't so single minded complaining about how shy guys get the shaft you would see how sad and unconvincing this comparison is to most people

sure i can feel compassion for shyness. it can really suck. but that compassion is dwarfed by my compassion for someone who, say, had their spine severed by a drunk driver. bringing up the latter makes my sympathy for the former seem insignificant
You seem to be intentionally distorting my words. I never equated shyness to the same level of severity as paralysis -- yet you seem to be claiming I did (?) That whole set of sub-posts by me was about the stigma of physical disability, independently of shyness -- if you look at the very first post I made about this in response to the claim that "anyone can get a wo/man", you will see this is true. I am not by any means trying to "piggyback" or seek "sympathy", as you claim.

Please do not say that I said things that I did not, in fact, say.

ETA: this quote below is what I was talking about, regarding physical disability -- please notice that there is no reference to "shyness" in there, is there??

Quote:
Exactly. I've known this one man a long time. He suffers from full blown schizophrenia and frequently commits himself. But he tries at life- he's into art, Buddhism, healing. He's scary looking, sports a mullet, sweats constantly, is quite dirty, and lives off SSDI. He just changed his relationship status on fb to in a relationship. Anybody can get a wo/man.

ETA: also, the post directly preceding the quoted one above, as the parent-level post (also no refererence whatsoever to "shyness", as you can plainly see):

Quote:
Unless you are extremely ugly, small and in extreme poverty I think you always have a chance to find a girl. The only MAJOR problem for most guys is getting the girl they want...
As evidenced by these quoted portions, your statements are, therefore, clearly taking my words out of the content that I put them in.

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 08-23-2012 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Adds

Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,187,051 times
Knight, all your paralysis talk doesn't dispute the point.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:47 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,028,436 times
How to Tell if a Girl is Horny Without Her Having to Tell You | Girls Chase

Old 08-23-2012, 11:52 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
"Mean means horny"?

In my case, mean means GTFO of my face before I introduce it to my elbow.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:06 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
"Mean means horny"?

In my case, mean means GTFO of my face before I introduce it to my elbow.

Yeah...that article...um, no. For me, if I'm horny, my husband knows, as did all other men I have been involved with. Maybe I'm just direct like that.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:14 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,721,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
Yeah...that article...um, no. For me, if I'm horny, my husband knows, as did all other men I have been involved with. Maybe I'm just direct like that.
Yeah...love that article. If I was/am in the mood, mean is the last thing I'm being. LOL If I'm being mean, (or WAS being mean), it means I want you to get away from me!! BACK OFF!!! I'm definitely another direct person!

Old 08-24-2012, 07:20 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times
It's American culture. Back in the day I did some promotional work for rock bands touring Quebec..(French culture)...It was a pleasant surprise to find that if a French girl was attracted to you- They would be right in your face- no silly posturing - fear of rejection- It might be about confidence? Or maybe the problem with some American females is that they have been programmed to believe that most men are bad .....and feminism has instilled this belief - You don't NEED a man..so some might think of themselves as independent and deny themselves the comfort and pleasure of a man..which is like cutting of your nose to spite your face..

Old 08-24-2012, 07:30 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,721,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
It's American culture. Back in the day I did some promotional work for rock bands touring Quebec..(French culture)...It was a pleasant surprise to find that if a French girl was attracted to you- They would be right in your face- no silly posturing - fear of rejection- It might be about confidence? Or maybe the problem with some American females is that they have been programmed to believe that most men are bad .....and feminism has instilled this belief - You don't NEED a man..so some might think of themselves as independent and deny themselves the comfort and pleasure of a man..which is like cutting of your nose to spite your face..
Is is really that?...or is it simply that Americans have such a terrible fear of rejection? Combine that with a defense mechanism that says, "I'm ready for your rejection...you're going to reject me anyway, so here's how I'm going to deal with it!" So many don't realize that if you're rejected, it's a GOOD thing!... in romance, anyway!" Don't you want someone to want you for the RIGHT reasons? Just because someone doesn't want to be with you, it doesn't mean that there's something wrong with you. It just means that they're not RIGHT for you, and/or that they feel you're not the right person for them!

Old 08-24-2012, 07:34 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
That is a good point. It sometimes seems that the feminist movement, which started out as a great thing, has turned basically into man-bashing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships