Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:11 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,898,757 times

Advertisements

I had a string of horrible situations in my 20s and gave up dating for years while I concentrated on school (college and grad)and then my career. I then started doing online dating to no great success at all (a few very short lived situations and most others were dates). That is until I reconnected with an old friend. I originally met him when I was going through a messy breakup and at the time he was fine with being friends. We stayed friends for a few years but lost touch as time went on. I found him via Facebook, we briefly dated but then he said he didn't want a relationship. Stupidly I thought if I gave him space he would eventually come back and he never did and I was devastated. It took me more time to get over him than the time we dated. At that time I vowed no more relationships and didn't date for a year or so. However I did put a profile on Plenty Of Fish but no one good contacted me (mostly dads which I don't date). I decided this year I would search out my future husband so I tried a paid site. I met a really great guy but he lives 5 hours away and is 10 years younger. We chat via email and when he comes here (he comes for business every few months)we hang out at the mall. Other guys around my age were seeking much younger women and I was getting contacted by men older than my dad (ew gross). My membership expired and I didn't renew. I started a new profile on POF (my last one was deleted) and met one guy around my age who seemed cool but he said he felt no chemistry.

Anyway, I met a guy in June and still at the "does he like me or not" stage. He fits what I am seeking in a mate (oddly so did my last ex)and most of the guys I met online didn't. I have no way of knowing whether he's interested (I suspect he is but I'm not 100% sure)but this time have vowed that this is it. I can't go through another heartbreak like I did before. This has been my pattern of having guys not like me but guys like me I have zero interest in. I'm not ugly at all, so why this always happened no idea. Love is supposed to be wonderful not hurtful and I'd rather be alone than go through it again.

Did anyone else ever decide never again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 09:14 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,698,521 times
Whenever you want to. I think people are so quick to emotionally invest themselves in to other people. That will lead to individual ruin.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:16 PM

I always insist on having a life outside of dating but have always wanted to be part of a long term couple with a man I like as well as love.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:18 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I had a string of horrible situations in my 20s and gave up dating for years while I concentrated on school (college and grad)and then my career. I then started doing online dating to no great success at all (a few very short lived situations and most others were dates). That is until I reconnected with an old friend. I originally met him when I was going through a messy breakup and at the time he was fine with being friends. We stayed friends for a few years but lost touch as time went on. I found him via Facebook, we briefly dated but then he said he didn't want a relationship. Stupidly I thought if I gave him space he would eventually come back and he never did and I was devastated. It took me more time to get over him than the time we dated. At that time I vowed no more relationships and didn't date for a year or so. However I did put a profile on Plenty Of Fish but no one good contacted me (mostly dads which I don't date). I decided this year I would search out my future husband so I tried a paid site. I met a really great guy but he lives 5 hours away and is 10 years younger. We chat via email and when he comes here (he comes for business every few months)we hang out at the mall. Other guys around my age were seeking much younger women and I was getting contacted by men older than my dad (ew gross). My membership expired and I didn't renew. I started a new profile on POF (my last one was deleted) and met one guy around my age who seemed cool but he said he felt no chemistry.

Anyway, I met a guy in June and still at the "does he like me or not" stage. He fits what I am seeking in a mate (oddly so did my last ex)and most of the guys I met online didn't. I have no way of knowing whether he's interested (I suspect he is but I'm not 100% sure)but this time have vowed that this is it. I can't go through another heartbreak like I did before. This has been my pattern of having guys not like me but guys like me I have zero interest in. I'm not ugly at all, so why this always happened no idea. Love is supposed to be wonderful not hurtful and I'd rather be alone than go through it again.

Did anyone else ever decide never again?

Let me make a suggestion, which I sincerely hope you will take to heart.

Make an appt with a life coach or a therapist.

You could really benefit from some professional guidance to get your love life on track.

In addition, you need to learn and fine tune some better coping skills for the disappointments that inevitably come our way when we are dating.

There is just no reason to let the heartbreak of one romance render you so incapacitated!

Seriously, get some help understanding what patterns you need to break and how to break them - it will expedite the whole love thing for you

Old 09-03-2012, 09:20 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I think people are so quick to emotionally invest themselves in to other people. That will lead to individual ruin.
This is wisdom!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:21 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,009,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Let me make a suggestion, which I sincerely hope you will take to heart.

Make an appt with a life coach or a therapist.

You could really benefit from some professional guidance to get your love life on track.

In addition, you need to learn and fine tune some better coping skills for the disappointments that inevitably come our way when we are dating.

There is just no reason to let the heartbreak of one romance render you so incapacitated!

Seriously, get some help understanding what patterns you need to break and how to break them - it will expedite the whole love thing for you
And stop with the searching for a husband thing. Why not try successfully dating before you take that leap.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:21 PM

No, I just feel that some people aren't meant to be with a someone special and maybe I am one of those. I'm hoping this guy likes me but if not I am fine being alone the rest of my life. People tell me to lower my standards but I refuse to do that because I know what I can handle and what I can't so I avoid those situations that cause me grief. The disappointments I have encountered have been a problem since I was a teen and while then I know it had to do with looks now it's other things. As for the husband that is the reason I was dating. No, I don't tell me that on the first date but when sex comes up I tell them that won't be happening until marriage or maybe engagement (I am very religious).

Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
No, I just feel that some people aren't meant to be with a someone special and maybe I am one of those. I'm hoping this guy likes me but if not I am fine being alone the rest of my life. People tell me to lower my standards but I refuse to do that because I know what I can handle and what I can't so I avoid those situations that cause me grief. The disappointments I have encountered have been a problem since I was a teen and while then I know it had to do with looks now it's other things. As for the husband that is the reason I was dating. No, I don't tell me that on the first date but when sex comes up I tell them that won't be happening until marriage or maybe engagement (I am very religious).
Oh geez, you need even more help than I realized.

Please do talk to a therapist honey.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:24 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,458,244 times
stop looking and just enjoy life. if you allow this to happen "love" will find you naturally

Old 09-03-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Oh geez, you need even more help than I realized.

Please do talk to a therapist honey.
Why do I need a therapist because I am religious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships