Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeeighty2 View Post
Is it even possible? Is Cupid's arrow so swift?

I personally do not believe in love. I believe in respect, passion, lust, companionship, compromise, communication; all of this is built over time, and it makes a relationship stronger. Some might say that all of that combined is the definition of love, so if all of this is love, and it takes time to get to that point, how can love at first sight exist?

yout thoughts?
Actually, it's chemistry at first sight - love takes longer to grow But that chemistry is the precursor to love!

And "not believing in love" is like saying you don't believe in the sunrise every morning - kind of silly when the evidence of it tans your face every day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I didnt think "Wow! I want to f*ck the sh*t out of him" the first time I saw him. I've had that reaction to a guy before-that's lust. Its more of a "Wow! I have to get to know this guy immediately-someone introduce me".
Funny, that was my exact thought when I met my wife 20 years ago.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:45 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Love involves....
A lot of things across time. I can tell you for a fact the connection I had for my now husband was not merely lust. Lust does not cause your heart to race every time you think of someone and scheme how you are going to see them when there is no way. Lust does not make you visit every weekend and wake up at 3:00 in the morning because you had to stay as long as you could.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:25 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
I don't really believe in love at first sight. It's just attraction, and if it develops into something deeper, you were just really really lucky.

With my favorite ex, we corresponded via the dating site for a month before we met. It was in the early days of online dating, so we weren't exactly sure how to do things the "right way." Then we spoke on the phone for a couple of weeks. Then we met. He opened his door and we both just stared at each for a few minutes. I remember thinking "Oh! This." Honestly, he wasn't even looking that great, lol, but everything felt so electric in that moment. But it wasn't love at first sight - it was just the confirmation of an attraction we had been building since we first started writing to each other.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
A lot of things across time. I can tell you for a fact the connection I had for my now husband was not merely lust. Lust does not cause your heart to race every time you think of someone and scheme how you are going to see them when there is no way. Lust does not make you visit every weekend and wake up at 3:00 in the morning because you had to stay as long as you could.
Yes it does. If you are a men. All the dumb, dangerous things I did for women in my life. Of course, women rationalize lust and call it love while guys are much more honest and call it lust.
In our case however lust can be so overwhelming that we fall in love. It's just a matter of semantics.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Yes it does. If you are a men. All the dumb, dangerous things I did for women in my life. Of course, women rationalize lust and call it love while guys are much more honest and call it lust.
In our case however lust can be so overwhelming that we fall in love. It's just a matter of semantics.
A lot of women supposedly often can't separate love and lust. Some seem to be able to, though.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,936,635 times
It doesn't really happen, its more like "wow I'd give my left leg to bone her" but then you talk to her then really like her, then fall in love. That's not really love at first sight, more a sequence of events that coincidentally occurred because you lucked out. Way more times you have an intense lust but nothing will really come of it.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:54 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Power to Change – What is true love?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:11 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Good post!

Best part of that article:

Infatuation

Sees the other person as perfect
Wants to get own needs met; selfish
Spends all time with the other person
Quickly “falls” for the other person
Other relationships and friendships deteriorate
Dependence on the other person causes jealousy frequently
Lasts for a short period of time
Distance strains and often puts an end to the relationship
Quarrels are serious and common
Quarrels can seriously damage the relationship

Love

Sees the other person’s flaws and still loves them
Wants to serve the other person; selfless
Still spends time with others
Takes time to build the relationship
Other relationships and friendships grow stronger
Trust and understanding results in less severe and less frequent jealousy
Encompasses a long-term commitment
Survives and sometimes is strengthened because of distance
Quarrels are less serious and less often
Quarrels can strengthen the relationship

Infatuation can be so tempting. But the question is, do I want a lasting, satisfying relationship? If so, infatuation isn’t the answer. Look at your relationships through the grid above. Infatuation isn’t a bad thing, as long as we don’t base a relationship on it.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:14 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
I've felt it before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships